Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 217649 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #825 on: October 07, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »

I just fucked with proportionality in physics. That shit is crazy.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #826 on: October 08, 2011, 07:29:04 am »

Two questions I'm needing help on, both applied maths/physics.

9. A particle starts with a velocity V and moves in a straight line with constant acceleration a. When the velocity reaches 5V, the particle is subjected to a constant retardation a. Show that when the particle returns to its starting position its velocity is -7V.

10. The times taken by a particle to travel two successive distances of x metres are t1 and t2 seconds respectively. Show that the acceleration, assumed constant, is given by (2x(t1-t2))/(t1t2(t1+t2))

For 9, I think the displacement is 12V2/a and the time taken for that is 4V/a but where I go from that is a bit of a mystery.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:42:34 am by Simmura McCrea »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 08, 2011, 07:55:59 am »

Well, for 9, if a is constant, then v(t) = at + v0 and x(t) = at2/2 + v0t + x0, with v0 = V in both cases and x0 = 0.

So set v(t) = 5V and you get t=4V/a.
Plug that into the distance formula and you'll get x(4V/a) = (4V/a)2a/2 + 4V2/a = 12V2/a.
So now you have the distance it traveled with acceleration a, so plug that back into the distance equation as x0 and 5V as v0, then set x = 0 and solve for the time it takes to get back to the starting point. Plug your new t and v0 into the velocity equation to find your final velocity at that time/point.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #828 on: October 08, 2011, 08:05:04 am »

x(t) = at2/2 + v0t + x0
That makes some sense, but the quoted formula doesn't. It resembles the s = ut + 1/2at2 formula, but the x0 bit is completely unfamiliar. Could you explain that?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 08, 2011, 08:07:24 am »

How much calculus have you taken?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #830 on: October 08, 2011, 08:08:53 am »

UK advanced higher maths level only. I'm not too sure what the US equivalent is, but it's 6th year of high school maths over here.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 08, 2011, 08:16:17 am »

Two questions I'm needing help on, both applied maths/physics.

9. A particle starts with a velocity V and moves in a straight line with constant acceleration a. When the velocity reaches 5V, the particle is subjected to a constant retardation a. Show that when the particle returns to its starting position its velocity is -7V.

10. The times taken by a particle to travel two successive distances of x metres are t1 and t2 seconds respectively. Show that the acceleration, assumed constant, is given by (2x(t1-t2))/(t1t2(t1+t2))

For 9, I think the displacement is 12V2/a and the time taken for that is 4V/a but where I go from that is a bit of a mystery.
9: Find the distance from the start when the particle first reaches 5V. From then, construct another quadratic equation, with initial position your previous answer, initial velocity 5V, and acceleration -a. Find how long it takes to reach the starting point (when position=0) and use that time to find the speed.

10:Let V1 be the velocity at the start of the first stretch, V2 be the velocity between them and V3 be the velocity and the end of the second. We know that acceleraion is constant, and that s=ut+at2/2, so we can see that:

2x=2V1T1+AT12
2x=2V2T2+AT22
2V1T1+AT12=2V2T2+AT22
A(T12-T22)=2V2T2-2V1T1
A=2V2T2/(T12-T22) (Assuming that T1 is not equal to T2. If it is, then acceleration is zero).

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #832 on: October 08, 2011, 09:20:58 am »

Can someone please enlighten me on this formula involving initial position and why I've never been taught it in maths or physics?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 08, 2011, 09:48:12 am »

Teaching this stuff means I can comment with some authority. At AS and A2 Level for some reason the equations of motion are only taught with reference to "displacement" - that is, a raw change in s (or x, depending on notation), not in relation to any other point or body. The initial position term is more useful when considering an objects position relative to an external reference frame - some fixed point or a second object. It helps to consider that there is no such thing as absolute motion, so when giving an objects position (or change in position) you should really be giving its position in relation to something else.
This is a blank sig.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #834 on: October 08, 2011, 10:51:40 am »

So in order to answer the question, I have to use stuff I've never been taught and that isn't in the stuff given for the course? Frigging frig. I'm gonna drop this on my teacher, see what he says. In the meantime, there's another question.

A stone of mass 0.4kg is thrown vertically into the air with an initial velocity of 20ms-1. If there is a "drag" force resisting the motion of 0.2N, find how far the stone travels before it comes to rest. Also calculate the overall time taken for it to return to its point of release.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 08, 2011, 11:06:56 am »

So in order to answer the question, I have to use stuff I've never been taught and that isn't in the stuff given for the course?

Nope. I was just taught to use the absolute version.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 08, 2011, 11:10:55 am »

You don't really need it though, surely.  Just find how far it moves relative to the initial position then add that to the initial position.

The new question is just gonna be SUVATs, I think.  You'd just need to have two separate equations for going up and going down (so on the way up you'd set the initial velocity as 20, the final velocity as 0, the acceleration as the appropriate gravitational force + the drag and so on).

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 08, 2011, 11:42:53 am »

I was wondering if I could still solve a high school problem(the 9) problem) and I can. Hooray for me :p.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:57:27 pm by Reiina »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #838 on: October 08, 2011, 02:30:37 pm »

I was wondering if I could still solve a high school problem(the 9) problem) and I can. Hooray for me :p.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I follow you right up until those last six lines then completely lose you. None of those 6 lines make any sense to me. It's probably because I'm tired. Could you (or anyone, really) explain them?

Also, it's university work. Albeit,  1st year revisionary stuff.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 08, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »

I follow you right up until those last six lines then completely lose you. None of those 6 lines make any sense to me. It's probably because I'm tired. Could you (or anyone, really) explain them?

Also, it's university work. Albeit,  1st year revisionary stuff.

Oops just noticed I forgot a t in there

well the last lines are simply solving -(1/2)*at²+5Vt+12V²/a=0 which is a 2nd degree equation(ax²+bx+c=0).
With the solutions being (-b+sqrt(b²-4ac))/2a and (-b-sqrt(b²-4ac))/2a.
What I call delta is b²-4ac btw.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:59:03 pm by Reiina »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 173