Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 217749 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #570 on: February 20, 2011, 07:54:59 pm »

Yes it does make more sense mathematically. The angle of 1 pi radian is a straight line. That's the reason people invented them in the first place I think, because using degrees was a pain in the ass.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 20, 2011, 08:12:12 pm »

It makes differentiating trig functions waaaaaaaaaaaay easier too.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 20, 2011, 10:15:29 pm »

Math is most definitely not my strong suit. It never has been, but I've been getting better at it over the years. Unfortunately, I had the idea to make a magic system where certain parts require mages to either speak or heavily concentrate on functions. In battlefield conditions. Using only their minds.

So, naturally, since I can't do anything like this, I am wondering if it's humanly possible to do it. I am including some world notes, and an example. It might be better if you actually tried to do this in real life*, as I want to know how long it takes you to do it in real time. I may have to go back to the drawing board on this.

This challenge would be presented to 15 year-old:

Spoiler: Illustration (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Challenge (click to show/hide)

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but it's technically math! And I do need help with it.

* By "in real life", I mean looking at objects and trying to figure out how you would do the same thing to them as in this example. I'm fairly certain my magic system has not penetrated reality yet, and if it did I would be so screwed. You have no idea.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 20, 2011, 10:22:34 pm »

Are we allowed to use different coordinate systems, or do we have to use cartesian?  Are we allowed to use multivalued functions?  Are we allowed to define the zero-point of the system?  Do we always know the position of the stone at a given moment?  Must we consider gravity?

I could probably do this fairly easily after a few days of practice and study, especially if I had somewhere to duck behind.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:24:24 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:12 pm »

Are we allowed to use different coordinate systems, or do we have to use cartesian?  Are we allowed to use multivalued functions?
The coordinates are only there for some kind of earth-standard. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of system they would use in this particular world. And yes, you're allowed to use multivalued ones as long as you can say them. Actually, the "as long as you can say it within five to ten seconds" rule* will work wonders here. You don't even have to make sense to other people, you just have to be able to understand what you mean.

Zero has to be declared at the start relative to your position and can't be changed until you don't have anything under your control. Gravity is nonexistent when you have control of the object, but comes back into play as soon as you let it go.

*Per function. Though faster is better for the purposes of not dying in the middle of it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:32:23 pm by Willfor »
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:10 pm »

5-10 seconds is more than enough, especially if I'm allowed to just speak equations and can use wildcard variables for the opponent's position.

For example, for a spherical orbit at arm's length from my body, in spherical coordinates, in yards, I'd say:

rho = 1
phi = x
theta = x

x in R

(Sounds like "rho1 phix thetax x real," which takes about a second and a half.  If I need to set the coordinate system, I'd add "spherical" in front)

Or for a circle at height n, I'd use cylindrical coordinates:

Cylindrical
r = 1
h = n
theta = x
x in R

We say "x in R" so that the stone will keep moving forever, but we can specify an angle if we want it to stop at a particular time for throwing.

At that point, let's say it's at coordinates (x, y, z).

Then we use the parametrized equations of a line to get it to the target (x', y', z').

If we don't have to use specific, concrete coordinates, then this entire process really lends itself to a couple of seconds memorizing the "spells" in question.  If we do have to be specific, then there'd be probably 30 seconds of computation (as a lot of this is basically easy subtraction and trig problems) between spells.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 20, 2011, 10:44:44 pm »

To be included in a locational variable in this form of magic it has to have a mass of about 250kg . So I guess spells against bigger animals would be very easy to work with, whereas spells of this sort would be quite a bit harder against smaller targets?

Though I'm sure after about one or so years of this kind of thing, a person would have a relatively good idea of what they wanted to do.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 20, 2011, 10:48:46 pm »

Well, again, it'd just be three very, very easy subtractions to launch the thing in a straight line to whatever point you guessed you wanted it at, and if you timed it correctly you'd have the stone hitting the desired orbital position at the same time as you finished the computation.

EDIT: Actually, the people doing this would probably learn very, very quickly not to stand between a mage and a heavy object, because they'd pretty much be insta-dead (since all you need is a point on the trajectory to compute the equation of the line, and there's no real reason to say "okay, stop right where that person is, dagger")
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:52:10 pm by Vector »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 20, 2011, 10:51:32 pm »

I feel greatly educated. I'm glad I decided to get help with this. :3

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 20, 2011, 11:30:34 pm »

Thank you. You've given Vector a way to kill us all with only her razor sharp mind. I hope you're proud.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:23 pm »

i got geology on my side PHYSICAL OBJECTS VS. DAMN NUMBERS

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 21, 2011, 12:05:46 am »

Ok, assuming polar coordinates and an origin at my center of mass;

Let 'd' represent the distance between me and the rock, 'a' represent the horizontal angle in radians and 'b' represent the vertical angle in radians between me and the rock.

Let's also set a=0° to mean directly in front of me and b=0° to mean parallel to the ground.

To make the rock approach me and then orbit, we simply state that:

b^-2=t=d^-2=a

This makes the rock rapidly close the distance towards me, move to be at chest level from me, and orbit me at a rate of 1 orbit per 6.5ish seconds. This also, incidentally, places the rock within a meter of me.

To launch, we first state that:

a=0

to set it directly in front of us, and then

d=500t

to launch it away from us at 500m/s. If we want to make it arc, then we just state that

a=sin(t)

instead of setting it equal to 0, making it follow a sinosodial path away from us, still at over 500m/s

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 21, 2011, 12:13:19 am »

Yeah, you'd probably better assume continuous functions for this, by the way.  No teleporting rocks.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 21, 2011, 12:17:43 am »

Well, that just means that we have to state that a^-2=t instead of a=0. That's the only one that's not continuous on its domain.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 21, 2011, 12:20:18 am »

Well, that just means that we have to state that a^-2=t instead of a=0. That's the only one that's not continuous on its domain.

No, every single-valued function is continuous.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 173