Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 218276 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #450 on: February 11, 2011, 06:42:03 am »

There's this problem I've been working on for the past... while.  Don't laugh, I'm panicking a bit because it's due tomorrow and I didn't start it soon enough.  Also because it's a pain to use the ancient Greek methods.  Also because I'm nearly certain that this is more than trivial.

Anyway, we've got a cylinder with base C and an inscribed prism inside it, Q--i.e. the base P of Q is inscribed in C.  Both of these figures have height h.

I need to prove that the volume V of the cylinder is not greater than the height of h times the area of C
I don't think I understand the question. You have to prove that a V <= C*h? If so, I suppose that you can not use the common definition of the volume of a cylinder? In that case I'd abuse Q: let the base of Q be B. B is inscribed in C, so area(B) =< area(C) for any prism Q and thus area(B)*h <= V  (assuming you can use the definition of the volume of a prism. Else you'll need to derive the volume of a prism as well, but that should be doable by chopping it up in triangles and generalizing the result).
Let Vert be the amount of vertices of B. Note that for Vert -> inf, area(B) -> area(C). Since for any B area(B)*h <= V, area(C)*h <= V.

Edit: this only works if B is a regular polygon though, so I'm not sure if you're able to use this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:45:55 am by Virex »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 11, 2011, 09:31:05 am »

I love you.  You have saved me from shame.

I hate that I thought of that once or twice and went "... Nah..," but more than that, I love you.

But I'm not having your children, and you can't have my house or my car or any of my books or, really, any of my worldly possessions.

Get me the proof to Riemann's first.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45:30 am »

Normal Riemann or Extended Riemann or Generalised Riemann or Artin-Riemann or...¿  :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 11, 2011, 09:46:18 am »

Whatever is most beautiful and least likely to result in internet-babies.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 11, 2011, 09:50:35 am »

See, this proves a hypothesis of mine. Vector-lust is like Dwarf Fortress. You can't win the game, but it's still fun to try once in a while.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 11, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »

See, this proves a hypothesis of mine. Vector-lust is like Dwarf Fortress. You can't win the game, but it's still fun to try once in a while.

Actually, the real reason why Virex will not be bearing my children is because he as wrong, as I realized on the way to school.  He proved the same direction that I'd already proven.

The limit of the circumscribing prisms approaches V as well.  We bound by both ends and then we're good.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:06:16 pm by Vector »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 11, 2011, 12:15:48 pm »

Dammit! /jk
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 11, 2011, 12:36:31 pm »

Actually, the real reason why Virex will not be bearing my children is because he as wrong, as I realized on the way to school.  He proved the same direction that I'd already proven.

The limit of the circumscribing prisms approaches V as well.  We bound by both ends and then we're good.
Whelp there go my chances... :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 11, 2011, 12:40:59 pm »

I shouldn't've read the last sentence first.  Gave me totally the wrong impression.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 12, 2011, 01:01:11 am »

Actually, the real reason why Virex will not be bearing my children is because he as wrong, as I realized on the way to school.
Somehow I think that's not the only reason.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 12, 2011, 03:48:06 am »

Actually, the real reason why Virex will not be bearing my children is because he as wrong, as I realized on the way to school.
Somehow I think that's not the only reason.

... Wanna bet?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 12, 2011, 03:51:44 am »

I don't even want to know where you're going with that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 12, 2011, 03:52:28 am »

Vector and Virex are seahorses?  I knew it!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 12, 2011, 09:36:13 am »

note to self: stick to science, keep math low-profile.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 12, 2011, 09:38:30 am »

Vector and Virex are seahorses?  I knew it!
Nah... I did see a hospital offering buy one get one free on sex changes, though.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 173