Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 218328 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #330 on: December 05, 2010, 08:29:41 pm »

I got it.  Here's a hint...

First show that no perfect square has last digit equal to 3.

Then show that for sufficiently large n, the sum of factorials has last digit 3.

Edit:  As an aside... if you know modular arithmetic, you will note that we were really only considering factorials mod 10.  You could probably use another value here.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:34:38 pm by Christes »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 05, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »

I'll just leave this here.
Beautiful.
Indeed. Thanks for that, Vector.
Indeed, indeed.
EDIT:  ...I disagree with some points he makes though.  He rails about how stupid it is to prove the obvious.  Well, a lot of obvious things aren't true, and if you don't have the correct tools, you can't prove the non-obvious.

Also, it's really annoying not having a common language to talk about stuff with other people.  Artists have common language for things like "vanishing points", after all.
He's talking about terminology glut and intuition-killing proofs.  It's very important to be rigorous, but there's a certain kind of rigorous that really isn't needed.  Mathematicians basically never do two-column proofs.  Ever.  They also have one hell of a lot of terminology, but don't have names for "whole numbers" versus "mixed numbers" versus "improper fractions," because those aren't important terms to anyone.
Ugh, yes. I can personally vouch for how terrible mathematics is in schools. I FAILED early math classes because I couldn't memorize the tables and formulas I was supposed to. The only thing that finally got me to do well in a math class, and ENJOY it, was one teacher who did exactly what he proposes. It was a private school, with it's own curriculum(closed down now...) and her math class involved her giving us interesting problems and just having the class go at it with no help but the occasional nudge in the right direction.
By gods yes! Why hasn't this been publicized thoroughly and spread to all offending parties?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 05, 2010, 09:58:02 pm »

Then show that for sufficiently large n, the sum of factorials has last digit 3.

Edit:  As an aside... if you know modular arithmetic, you will note that we were really only considering factorials mod 10.  You could probably use another value here.
Oh!  Nice.  Let me take a crack at that, though that hint seriously gives it away.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:59:48 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 05, 2010, 10:01:56 pm »

While I agree with the main thrust of Lockhart's lament, something about it has always rubbed me the wrong way.  Maybe it's because I'm immersed in a collegiate environment where students take my class to fulfill prerequisites, not because they are interested in them.  (And, incedentally, that's not the math department's fault at all!)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 05, 2010, 10:05:03 pm »

Oh!  Nice.  Let me take a crack at that, though that hint seriously gives it away.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sure, that works.  Also note that the last digit of n^2 is purely determined by the last digit of n - that's how I looked at it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 05, 2010, 10:05:35 pm »

Why hasn't it been spread everywhere?

A mathematician wrote it.

While I agree with the main thrust of Lockhart's lament, something about it has always rubbed me the wrong way.  Maybe it's because I'm immersed in a collegiate environment where students take my class to fulfill prerequisites, not because they are interested in them.  (And, incedentally, that's not the math department's fault at all!)

Yeah, goddamned engineering and physics departments >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 05, 2010, 10:11:48 pm »

Heh heh heh.  I'm an engineering major at the moment, although I do actually like abstract math, even if I never delve very deeply into it.  I have to admit that having the practical-math reach a level where it's actually USEFUL helps keep interest up (using Matlab to solve systems of linear equations, numerical differentiation/integration, etc, versus boring shit like memorizing times tables that you do back in early school and never really use). 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 05, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »

Yeah, goddamned engineering and physics departments >_>

Heh, actually I'm teaching college algebra/trig now.  Most engineering and physics students are okay with those already xD  At my school every person who gets a BS needs a full year of math.  There is also a general requirement from several departments (like sociology) that their students take college algebra.  The students usually put this requirement off until senior year.  That doesn't end well.  College algebra is also required for the business calc class. 

It seems like these departments are having us do their dirty work.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:23:27 pm by Christes »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 06, 2010, 05:15:39 am »

I don't see an obvious way to do it, but I've been wrong before, especially in Number Theory.  Is this for a class?  It might be helpful to know what sort of machinery you have to work with if it is.
My aunt's friend's daughter has university interviews starting on sunday, and I have been helping her. She has a bunch of practice interview questions, and I'm helping her by guiding her through the problems. That one, however, I was unable to manage. I would have liked to spend longer on it to do it myself, but there are a lot of questions to get through before interviews start.

Many thanks.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 06, 2010, 05:00:20 pm »

I have another couple. I think I can work out solutions, but I'm not confident in them and would appreciate criticism of them. Questions are in red, my attempts at solutions are in blue.

Spoiler: the first one (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: the second one (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2010, 05:08:49 pm »

Am I right in thinking that since log(log(An)) increases exponentially and log(log(Bn)) increases linearly, An will be greater then Bn as n tends to infinity?

Yes, this is true.

Working on the other one as we speak.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2010, 05:13:29 pm »

Yes on the first one.

On the second one...Well it depends on what you consider to be too long and unpleasant. I mean it's just three triangles, seriously.  Calculate BAC and EAD with SAS, then find the length of AC or AD then calculate ACD with SSA.  Or you can think of it as a triangle and a trapezoid...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:19:08 pm by Sowelu »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 06, 2010, 05:55:32 pm »

Trying to do it without side-lengths.  I think this might work.

Let N = area of ABCDE, q = area of small triangles, n = area of inner pentagon, p the integer such that pn = N.

Observations:

N = 5 + 5q + n  --> 5(1+q) = (p-1)n
1 + 2q = n + 2
p = 3 + n + q

That should be enough.  It's a bit more elegant, I feel.

(If you want to know how I got the last equation, I reflected one of the area-1 triangles over the edge of the inner pentagon)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:58:49 pm by Vector »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 06, 2010, 06:51:34 pm »

I realized I didn't read the question nearly enough.  Oops.

On the other hand, I re-derived the general solution for the area of an N-sided polygon, given the length of a side.  Whee.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 06, 2010, 07:03:23 pm »

N = 5 + 5q + n  --> 5(1+q) = (p-1)n
1 + 2q = n + 2
p = 3 + n + q
(If you want to know how I got the last equation, I reflected one of the area-1 triangles over the edge of the inner pentagon)
I'm sorry, I can see how reflecting the triangle over the inner edge of the pentagon gives the second one, but how does it give the third?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 173