Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 218376 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #270 on: November 11, 2010, 10:40:41 am »

Are your lines coplanars? If so artg slope1 minus arctg slope 2
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:40:28 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 11, 2010, 10:42:22 am »

Fixed.

EDIT: Double fixed!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:50:27 am by lordnincompoop »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 11, 2010, 11:26:10 am »

Today I found out that I was the only one in my class that remembered "Soh Cah Toa." Thanks, guys. ^_^

*cheers*

Today I was beaten in the face by the Axiom of Choice =/  On the other hand, now I know what it is...

The Axiom of Choice is obviously true, the well-ordering principle obviously false, and who can tell about Zorn's lemma?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 11, 2010, 11:31:18 am »

Today I found out that I was the only one in my class that remembered "Soh Cah Toa." Thanks, guys. ^_^

*cheers*

Today I was beaten in the face by the Axiom of Choice =/  On the other hand, now I know what it is...

*looks it up on wikipedia*
*head asplode*
Yeah... It SHOULD be simple... but it has some crazy results.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 11, 2010, 11:35:16 am »

The Axiom of Choice is obviously true, the well-ordering principle obviously false, and who can tell about Zorn's lemma?

I don't know about Zorn's lemma, but aren't the other two logically equivalent?  Isn't that why the axiom of choice is controversial?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 11, 2010, 01:00:18 pm »

>_____________>

Hurr hurr hurr.

I don't know about Zorn's lemma, but aren't the other two logically equivalent?  Isn't that why the axiom of choice is controversial?

They're all logically equivalent, as is the statement that every surjective function has a right inverse.

IIRC, AoC is controversial because it isn't a very axiom-ish axiom.  It sounds more like something requiring proof than something one can readily accept as a backbone of theory.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 11, 2010, 05:57:34 pm »

When the bottle is empty, V is zero. Solve for t.

No calculator, and I haven't the foggiest idea how to solve a raised-the-four equation for t. I got that V=0 when the bottle is empty.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 11, 2010, 06:03:16 pm »

You don't need a calculator.

You can solve that by factoring, or with the quadratic equation. Make a substitution of u = t2 to help you see it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 11, 2010, 11:26:20 pm »

IIRC, AoC is controversial because it isn't a very axiom-ish axiom.  It sounds more like something requiring proof than something one can readily accept as a backbone of theory.

It is a little strange for sure.  It's a bit like the parallel postulate - it doesn't quite fit.  However, it also causes madness like the Banach-Tarski paradox or non-measurable sets.  Most mathematicians like the bizarre results, but some object since they prefer a more intuitive approach. There's a professor at my school who is very opposed to the axiom of choice.  He makes fun of the functional analysists who use it every day.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 11, 2010, 11:51:47 pm »

Yeah, I'm definitely not sure how I feel about it yet.  On the one hand, I like the results.  On the other hand, I'm not so fond of the fact that we can't prove it...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 13, 2010, 11:38:31 pm »

This exponential equation has me stumped. I'm supposed to solve for x and approximate to three decimal places.

22x - 4 * 2x = 21

Now, this can be converted to the following, right?

22x - 22 * 2x = 21
thus
22x - 22+x = 21

I'm pretty sure that I'm supposed to do something fancy with logarithms and the change of base formula at this point, but darned if I know what it is. I can't figure out how to isolate x at all.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 13, 2010, 11:52:11 pm »

Logarithms won't help you. Tell me something about this problem: is this a Diophantine equation?

Edit: Of course it isn't Diophantine. It says to estimate to 3 decimal places.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:10:34 am by Wyrm »

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 13, 2010, 11:55:19 pm »

Variables as integers only? No. All of the other problems in this set have had irrational decimal answers.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 13, 2010, 11:55:51 pm »

Watching this with bated breath, because I don't know how to solve it, either.

I suck at equation manipulation.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 13, 2010, 11:56:51 pm »

Watching this with bated breath, because I don't know how to solve it, either.

I suck at equation manipulation.
Me too.  May try it, though.
I'll almost assuredly fail.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 173