Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 217072 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #900 on: November 17, 2012, 03:56:30 am »

Here's a non-college, not-calculus question! :D

Say a < b < c.
For
f(x) = | x - a | + | x - b | + | x - c |,
why is f(x)'s minimum always when x = b? :c The graph always seems to look like a V, no matter what numbers I plug in for a, b, and c.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 17, 2012, 04:51:20 am »

Easy, first let's partition f(x) into its four cases:

f(x) = | x - a | + | x - b | + | x - c | =

{a-x + b-x + c-x = (a+b+c) - 3x, x < a
{x-a + b-x + c-x = (b+c-a) - x, a <= x < b
{x-a + x-b + c-x = (c-b-a) + x, b <= x < c
{x-a + x-b + x-c = 3x - (a+b+c), x >= c

a < b < c

Trivially noticeable, f(x) is continuous for all x∈ℝ, but not differentiable at x=a, x=b, x=c

Now, what are the minimum points of these cases? The first two are monotonically decreasing, while the latter two are increasing. Thus we get the minimum points f(a), f(b), f(c). Then we determine which one is the smallest.

f(a) = b+c-2a
f(b) = c-a
f(c) = 2c-b-a

Rewrite them:

f(a) = (c-a) + (b-a)
f(b) = (c-a)
f(c) = (c-a) + (c-b)

However, since a < b < c, all these terms are positive, making f(b) the smallest and the global minimum of f(x).

Q.E.D.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #902 on: November 17, 2012, 06:02:16 am »

Oh, huh. :D That just required a small bit of thinking. Thanks!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #903 on: November 30, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »

I have recently been working on a very important physics equation, proposed in an XKCD comic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
First I wanted to see how long it took the velociraptor to reach max speed. This stuff is important. Makes later maths easier if the chase drags on.
To find the time I used the equation:
Time = (Final velocity - Initial velocity) / Acceleration
= 6.25 seconds.
With this I wanted to see how much distance the velociraptor could cover in those run up seconds:
Distance = Initial (velocity)(time) + 1/2(acceleration)(time)2
= 78.125 Meters.

78 meters covered in 6.25 seconds. Terrifying speed.

Next I wanted to check my speed, if I got to 6mph quickly and kept at constant speed, so used:
Velocity x time = Distance traveled
= 37.5 meters.
Then I set about calculating how far I could run against this predator before getting mercilessly butchered, using this formula:
Time = √(distance / acceleration)
= 3.06 seconds, to 3 significant figures.

But this is if you've just popped out of a hiding spot beneath the raptor or jumped down from a tree or something; which would give you 3.06 seconds to form a plan, run or fight.
If you get the 40m head start, it changes things slightly.
Same equation, but with the 40 meters taken into consideration:
4.40 seconds, to 3 significant figures.

This dubious and not the most accurate test will suffice to gather a rough idea of my average reaction time in a calm environment (not filled with velociraptors) : 259 milliseconds.
This means that upon spotting it, I would have 4.141 (+/- 5 milliseconds) to run to safety, plan or fight. That second could mean the difference between life and cruel death.

1. Is that all correct?
2. Cheers to XKCD who made my life 1/3rd more prepared for a velociraptor attack.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:35:23 pm by Loud Whispers »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 01, 2012, 05:31:51 am »

Seems fine to me, if the assumed values of raptor speed and reactions are reasonable. The equations assume a constant acceleration - a reasonable assumption if air resistance isn't a big deal, which on the scale you are working on shouldn't make too much difference either way.
This is a blank sig.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 01, 2012, 09:22:13 am »

xkcd link is not correct. Should be 135 instead of 137.

Also if your acceleration is capped at higher level than the raptor's than don't run in straight lines and you will be OK assuming the raptor is dumb and has zero reach. For real-world example look at what matadors are doing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #906 on: December 01, 2012, 09:44:06 am »

xkcd link is not correct. Should be 135 instead of 137.

Also if your acceleration is capped at higher level than the raptor's than don't run in straight lines and you will be OK assuming the raptor is dumb and has zero reach. For real-world example look at what matadors are doing.
A fatal mistake Another has made... In the 3rd person.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 01, 2012, 06:01:30 pm »

You are assuming that the raptor needs time to accelerate, while you are at your top speed immediately...

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 01, 2012, 07:41:08 pm »

You are assuming that the raptor needs time to accelerate, while you are at your top speed immediately...

How long does it take a human to reach max speed? I don't know that it's terribly long, and thus might not be worth accounting for.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 01, 2012, 08:07:44 pm »

That assumption was stated in the original problem.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 14, 2013, 10:20:28 am »

Thread necro! I've been bored, recently, and I've been looking at three types of functions, all of which are similar. This class of functions, a↑bc, where any two of a, b, c are constants and the other is represented by x, classes together both polynomials and exponential functions, and generalizations of them to addition, multiplication, tetration, pentation, etc., and also lumps them in together with functions where both the base and the power are constants, but the form of the function itself varies with respect to x. Two questions:

a. Can the power of the arrow be something other than a whole number- say, could I have the function a↑3.5b, where the function is sort of halfway between exponentiation and tetration, whatever that would look like?

b. Can one find generalized equations for the derivatives and antiderivatives of
d(a↑bx)/dx, ∫a↑bx dx
d(x↑ab)/dx, ∫x↑ab dx

and, if the answer to a) is yes,

d(a↑xb)/dx, ∫a↑xb dx

where a and b are any given constants and all a, b, x greater than 0? (Just as, for example, ∫xndx=xn+1/n+1 fails when n=-1, I wholly expect there might be some cases where a generalization wouldn't work. But these should be well-defined.)

EDIT: Because a single arrow represents exponentiation, consider also the equations where the arrow is raised to the power of 0 (which I assume would represent multiplication) and -1 (addition). This means that the equations we are really looking at are of the form
a↑b-2c.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:29:23 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 14, 2013, 10:49:18 am »

a. Considering Knuth's up-arrow notation has the power as a positive non-zero integer, you'd need to extend the definition and domain of n.

a↑nb = ab if n = 1, 1 if b = 0, a↑n-1(a↑n(b-1)) otherwise for integers a,b,n where b>=0 and n>=1

b. Per the definition, it's discontinuous everywhere so it isn't differentiable. As for antiderivative, if we assume that the function is zero for any non-integer x then we could consider it to be C, if it exists.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:55:53 am by da_nang »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:56 am »

Naturally, there are also smooth extensions of a↑bc into IR³, but there are many of them, and interpolation, differentiation and integration depend on which one you pick. So unless you specify some more constraints that allow the extension to be unique, your question is not well-defined.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 14, 2013, 03:33:15 pm »

I think I have stated a question which I understand only superficially...

Dammit, why can't I know all the mathematics?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 14, 2013, 03:42:35 pm »

Because Gödel said so.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 173