Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 218405 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2010, 08:04:43 am »

Ah, forgot to factor out of both sides when I factored one of the numbers. Gotta stop doing that. Thanks for your help, I went back and fixed that, ended with this.
(x/(x+10))1/2
I'm off to take a test in The Calculus! Factoring, you will not me this day! Even if I do every problem twice to make sure.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2010, 08:10:05 am »

But...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2010, 08:16:43 am »

But...?

What I mean is, I accidentally did something like this.

[(x2+2)+(x+3)] = x[(X+2)+(X+3)]

instead of this.

[(x2+2)+(x+3)] = x[(X+2)+(3)]

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:31 am »

Not to burst your bubble, but
[(x2+2)+(x+3)] = x2 + x + 5 =/=  x[(X+2)+(3)] = x2 + 5x
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:00:37 am by Virex »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2010, 10:48:21 am »

But...?

What I mean is, I accidentally did something like this.

[(x2+2)+(x+3)] = x[(X+2)+(X+3)]

instead of this.

[(x2+2)+(x+3)] = x[(X+2)+(3)]

That is not how you factor.

If you're using the distributive property to pull out an x from a quantity, you have to do it to every term in the bracket. You did not do this.

Using your example,

[(x2+2)+(x+3)]

The proper way to pull an x out of this is the following:

[(x2 + 2) + (x + 3)] = x[((x + (2/x)) + (1 + (3/x)))]

Do you see the difference? Every term. (Also, pulling out an x from an x leaves you with 1, not 0 like what you have.)
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2010, 03:16:49 pm »

Made another update to my solution to the converging sequence problem. Hopefully now the proof is sound. I'd really like for someone to run it trough and see if it's not a load of bogus, but I guess I'll have to wait till Vector's done with her answer.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2010, 03:33:35 pm »

I'd love to, however I'm nowhere near solving it on my own, so I can't.  Right now I'm running through some simpler stuff, like proving Newton's Method, etc.  I'd like to ask two questions though, just to see if I have enough prerequisite knowledge right now.

1) Did you need to use anything involving Cauchy Sequences?  I think we get to those next week.

2) Is there more to it than proving it is monotonic for all n>=n0, for some n0 in the positive integers, and showing that it is bounded?  Because we haven't gone over any other ways to solve recursive sequences.  Like I said, they were only introduced this week.

Of course, this is assuming it converges, but I'm fairly sure it does.  Please don't tell me either way though, I really want to get this one on my own.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2010, 03:52:53 pm »

I'd love to, however I'm nowhere near solving it on my own, so I can't.  Right now I'm running through some simpler stuff, like proving Newton's Method, etc.  I'd like to ask two questions though, just to see if I have enough prerequisite knowledge right now.

1) Did you need to use anything involving Cauchy Sequences?  I think we get to those next week.
I did not explicitly use anything related to Cauchy sequences. I also can't tell you if it's a Cauchy function...

2) Is there more to it than proving it is monotonic for all n>=n0, for some n0 in the positive integers, and showing that it is bounded?  Because we haven't gone over any other ways to solve recursive sequences.  Like I said, they were only introduced this week.
That could work. I used a method similar to that, but not quite the same, because you can reduce the function to a much simpler form with the appropriate method
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:55:54 pm by Virex »

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »

I did not explicitly use anything related to Cauchy sequences. I also can't tell you if it's a Cauchy function, due to the method I used.
Excellent, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to know any of that.  Vector mentioning them worried me.

2) Is there more to it than proving it is monotonic for all n>=n0, for some n0 in the positive integers, and showing that it is bounded?  Because we haven't gone over any other ways to solve recursive sequences.  Like I said, they were only introduced this week.
That could work. I used a method similar to that, but not quite the same, because you can reduce the function to a much simpler form with the appropriate method
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2010, 04:52:24 pm »

I did not explicitly use anything related to Cauchy sequences. I also can't tell you if it's a Cauchy function, due to the method I used.
Excellent, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to know any of that.  Vector mentioning them worried me.

2) Is there more to it than proving it is monotonic for all n>=n0, for some n0 in the positive integers, and showing that it is bounded?  Because we haven't gone over any other ways to solve recursive sequences.  Like I said, they were only introduced this week.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2010, 05:50:05 pm »

Excellent, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to know any of that.  Vector mentioning them worried me.

Thank you, that should be enough for me to crack this thing.  Hopefully.  Anyway, that's enough tips for now, I feel I've allowed myself enough outside help.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2010, 06:15:34 pm »

Virex,

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2010, 06:35:12 pm »

Virex,

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2010, 06:44:52 pm »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2010, 08:28:55 pm »

That is not how you factor.

If you're using the distributive property to pull out an x from a quantity, you have to do it to every term in the bracket. You did not do this.
Excuse me, I meant to say this.

[ (x2(2)) +  (x(3)) ]

becomes

x [ (x(2)) +  (3) ]

Durn multiplication/addition confusion. The simplest things are often the most easily missed.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 173