Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 217079 times)

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #870 on: November 10, 2011, 08:00:12 pm »

By already knowing.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 12, 2011, 05:29:13 am »

From where? The IMO?

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 12, 2011, 06:55:03 am »

In the end, all but very few persons know it originally from the IMO, maybe with some steps in between  ;)
For a couple of reasons, I watch the IMO regularily and look at the problems. But I wasn't there this year, even if it was less than 1000 miles away (I had too much to do to take an offer to be corrector/coordinator there). You can find everything online, though, the problems are normally posted on a certain forum (and sometime even on the official IMO page) within the hour the exams end.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 12, 2011, 08:26:39 am »

What is the IMO?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 12, 2011, 08:56:06 am »

International Mathematics Olympiad.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 22, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »

Here's one that I've been struggling with for a week or two, but I can't find a solution.

"Is it possible to define a real continuous function f such that f(x) is rational if and only if f(x+1) is irrational?"

I suspect the answer is no, but I cannot prove it. I think the proof has something to do with countability of rationals and uncountability of irrationals, but the density of both of them is scuppering my proof attempts.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 22, 2011, 04:42:24 pm »

I suspect the answer is yes, although I have no idea why.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 23, 2011, 08:20:20 am »

A Cantor function is a non constant continuous function that is rational outside of Cantor set. Its construction gave me the following idea:

Let f(x)=π*x on [0; 1]. Let f(2)=4. Take a random number x1 in (0; 1) and if it is rational (irrational) - define f(x1+1) as any random rational (irrational) number in the middle third between π and 4. Take a second random number x2 and define f(x2+1) to be a random number in the middle third between f(x1+1) and the value of f(x) at the other side of the interval to which x2+1 belongs with appropriate rationality.
In general at ith step xi+1 will land between some xk+1 and xl+1 (or 1, or 2). There will always be an interval of finite length between f(xk+1) and f(xl+1) (or π, or 4) in which we will be able to choose either rational or irrational number in its middle third part for f(xi+1).

All random choices above can be substituted with some well defined rules but that would leave uncountable many points never to be visited.

I am not sure if uncountable number of steps is allowed in construction of functions and suspect that the axiom of choice is required to make a function based on the above idea defined. If allowed - the function f(x) will be defined on [0; 2] and be not only continuous but also monotonous just like Cantor function but (like the question mark function) never constant.

Since it is still unknown (unproved) whether π-e is rational or irrational and there is no general irrationality testing algorithm - I suspect that an explicit construction of required function is not possible. As in the function in question probably exists but is not strictly definable.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 23, 2011, 11:44:19 am »

Every function f that is generated this way actually has a well-defined set of rules that does not require the axiom of choice, and every function value can definitely be calculated in countably infinite time. So the values of f(x) are in the countable set S := {f(x1+1), f(x2+1), ...} for almost every x in (1, 2). But the function is continuous, so the uncountably many values in [π, 4] that don't crop up in S also have to be equal to f(x+1) for some particular x in (0, 1). But what can you say about f(x) in these cases?
You just reduced the problem from (1, 2) to a Cantor-like set within (1, 2), which is also uncountable, so you haven't actually solved anything.
But I had this idea too at first... ;D

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 23, 2011, 01:56:55 pm »

...But the function is continuous, so the uncountably many values in [π, 4] that don't crop up in S also have to be equal to f(x+1) for some particular x in (0, 1). But what can you say about f(x) in these cases?
I know that a countable set can not be continuous and that kills direct approach. I still hoped that it would be possible to place additional conditions while choosing the values for f(xi) to force the resulting continuous function to converge to points of right rationality everywhere outside of S.

I was not thinking clearly the first time and now I see that any strictly monotonous function on some interval must take countably many rational values and a non-constant (it can't be constant because it has to take both rational and irrational values) continuous function on the corresponding x+1 interval must take uncountably many irrational values. So the required function can not be strictly monotonous on any interval.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 23, 2011, 06:00:24 pm »

Now I see that any strictly monotonous function on some interval must take countably many rational values and a non-constant (it can't be constant because it has to take both rational and irrational values) continuous function on the corresponding x+1 interval must take uncountably many irrational values. So the required function can not be strictly monotonous on any interval.

Actually, this only says that f is either non-differentiable or constant in one of the two intervals [a, b] and [a+1, b+1] for all a and b.
But yes, that's kinda the problem here.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 23, 2011, 08:43:32 pm »

Either non-differentiable or constant is exactly the same as not strictly monotonous everywhere. And since we can go f(x+1)->f(x+2) that is for both/any intervals.

It can still be constant almost everywhere (in mathematical sense) but that doesn't help at all in determining if it can exist.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 04, 2012, 05:57:36 am »

Uhh, how does one simplify complex & rational fractions with variables properly? Oh, and mind giving me a refresher in factoring?

Thanks.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 04, 2012, 06:12:51 am »

Uhh, how does one simplify complex & rational fractions with variables properly? Oh, and mind giving me a refresher in factoring?

Are you talking about polynomials and polynomial fractions?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 04, 2012, 06:18:42 am »

Uh yes. I forgot to mention that.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 173