Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 218157 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #525 on: February 15, 2011, 12:11:19 pm »

Yeah, 'cept usually people won't do i until a couple years after trig. formulas.

Also, why does an irregular number to the power of an imaginary number become a cosinusoidal curve? It's kinda weird.

And apparently, i^i = e^(-pi/2)

Math sure is strange.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 15, 2011, 12:19:54 pm »

e^(ix) circles around the unit circle (with constant speed 1 if you wish). Thus it's not that strange  that this gives cos and sin, as these are defined by coordinates of points on that circle.

i^i ist not e^(-pi/). That's just one possible value. The reason is that log(x) is only well defined for all complex x up to addition of a multiple of 2pi·i [note that e^(2pi·i)=1, giving that a and a+2pi·i be the same after exponentiation by e]. Thus you get i^i = e^(i·log(i)) = e^(i·(pi·i/2+n·2pi·i)) = e^(-(4n+1)/2). For n=0, this gives your's.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 15, 2011, 12:21:56 pm »

No, I mean, why does an imaginary exponential make things go round in circles?

i^i ist not e^(-pi/). That's just one possible value. The reason is that log(x) is only well defined for all complex x up to addition of a multiple of 2pi·i [note that e^(2pi·i)=1, giving that a and a+2pi·i be the same after exponentiation by e]. Thus you get i^i = e^(i·log(i)) = e^(i·(pi·i/2+n·2pi·i)) = e^(-(4n+1)/2). For n=0, this gives your's.
When dealing with pi, I always assume that there's an even number left in the fridge, so I don't mention it usually.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 15, 2011, 12:44:52 pm »

Essentially this boils down to "follows from the definition". But some reasons: You have e^(ix)·e^(-ix) = e^0 = 1. And every nice (i.e. holomorphic) function f from IR to IR (reals) if extended to IC (complex numbers) fulfills f(#z)=#f(z) where # i the conjugate [#(a+bi)=a-bi]. Thus you get #(e^(ix)) = e^(#ix)) = e^(-ix). Now you have that the number a=e^(ix) gets it's own inverse 1/a by conjugation, so #a=1/a or in other words a·#a=1. This gives that |a|=1, so that a is on that circle.
So it's somehow a result of e^(x+y)=e^x·e^y and e being a nice function.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 15, 2011, 12:54:30 pm »

Nevermind I just looked it up on wikipedia >_>

Spoiler: Shit still is weird. (click to show/hide)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 15, 2011, 12:57:11 pm »

string theory flashes in my mind looking at that even though they are different.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 15, 2011, 12:57:55 pm »

Nevermind I just looked it up on wikipedia >_>

Spoiler: Shit still is weird. (click to show/hide)
That's just a picture, not an explaination.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 15, 2011, 12:58:29 pm »

I know, but it's fun to look at :D

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 15, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »

I just let my students use a 3x5 inch index card on the exams.  Memorizing all of the formulas is supremely pointless IMHO.  (Of course, then I can write problems to test if they really understand the formulas)

Eh, it's easy. Unless you'd also want me to prove that cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x),' cuz that would take a while and perhaps a graph too.

The real slight of hand here is proving it, but only doing so for acute angles.  That seems pretty standard.
The one best way of proving and memorizing stupid trig. stuff is via e^(ix) = cos(x)+i·sin(x) and e^(x+y) = e^x · e^y. The trig. formulas are then just properties if real and imaginary parts.

We do complex numbers right afterwards, but this formula is not mentioned.  Honestly, it would confuse all but a couple students.  Even moreso, since you can't prove it until you have at least of differential calc.  I mentioned it offhand last quarter on the day before thanksgiving when only a handful were there, since we had nothing better to do.  (On the same day, a fellow grad student of mine talked about the Cantor Set (!!!) in his trig class)

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 15, 2011, 01:14:04 pm »

I doubt it would confuse most people if explained carefully. You just explain that you CAN actually have complex exponents, then explain what I did in my second last post to show that it actually is on the unit circle. And if one uses exponentiation, one wants e^(x+y) = e^x·e^y as this is the most basic rule of exponentiation. Then suggest that one may DEFINE it for all complex numbers via e^(x+iy) = e^x·e^(iy) = e^x·(cos(x)+i·sin(x)) as this definition then works (fulfills e^(x+y) = e^x·e^y) by those trig. theorems. From that, just conclude e^(i·pi)+1=0 for extra fun^^

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 15, 2011, 01:15:17 pm »

... and now I'm picturing a pie filled with eyes...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 15, 2011, 02:24:55 pm »

I just let my students use a 3x5 inch index card on the exams.  Memorizing all of the formulas is supremely pointless IMHO.  (Of course, then I can write problems to test if they really understand the formulas)

Eh, it's easy. Unless you'd also want me to prove that cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x),' cuz that would take a while and perhaps a graph too.

The real slight of hand here is proving it, but only doing so for acute angles.  That seems pretty standard.
The one best way of proving and memorizing stupid trig. stuff is via e^(ix) = cos(x)+i·sin(x) and e^(x+y) = e^x · e^y. The trig. formulas are then just properties if real and imaginary parts.

We do complex numbers right afterwards, but this formula is not mentioned.  Honestly, it would confuse all but a couple students.  Even moreso, since you can't prove it until you have at least of differential calc.  I mentioned it offhand last quarter on the day before thanksgiving when only a handful were there, since we had nothing better to do.  (On the same day, a fellow grad student of mine talked about the Cantor Set (!!!) in his trig class)
I thought that formula was like half the point of imaginary numbers? I can't really remember many cases in which I used i for a different reason.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 15, 2011, 02:26:30 pm »

The point goes much further, like complex analysis, algebraic closedness, etc.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 15, 2011, 04:07:17 pm »

I doubt it would confuse most people if explained carefully. You just explain that you CAN actually have complex exponents, then explain what I did in my second last post to show that it actually is on the unit circle. And if one uses exponentiation, one wants e^(x+y) = e^x·e^y as this is the most basic rule of exponentiation. Then suggest that one may DEFINE it for all complex numbers via e^(x+iy) = e^x·e^(iy) = e^x·(cos(x)+i·sin(x)) as this definition then works (fulfills e^(x+y) = e^x·e^y) by those trig. theorems. From that, just conclude e^(i·pi)+1=0 for extra fun^^

We're talking about students who often get confused by rational exponents, let alone real ones.  I agree with what you are saying and will likely mention it offhand for those who are genuinely interested.

The major problem with math at this level is that there is little justification given to studying anything.  There are so many awesome things that go on in the complex numbers.  I really wish I could share that with my students, but there are three problems:

1) Most are simply not prepared for any "math" that goes much beyond rote memorization.
2) Most don't care and just want a passing grade to satisfy some requirement or another.
3) Even if parts 1 and 2 don't hold, I need to uphold the standard curriculum, which means I don't have too much time to spare.

I usually make a few offhand remarks about more general results, and emphasize that I use a lot of this material regularly.  That helps, but there is only so much that can be done.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 15, 2011, 04:13:48 pm »

1) Most are simply not prepared for any "math" that goes much beyond rote memorization.
Heh, I'm nott prepared for anything that requires memorization.

Which is why I failed my last year :/
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 173