Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 198602 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2010, 10:25:39 pm »

meaning the limit does not exist
Why doesn't the limit exist, though? Is the limit not equal to every number, as the line would only be continuous if there were a vertical line between the infinities? This explanation sounds a lot like having an undefined limit, in that you can't define every number.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2010, 11:04:05 pm »

meaning the limit does not exist
Why doesn't the limit exist, though? Is the limit not equal to every number, as the line would only be continuous if there were a vertical line between the infinities? This explanation sounds a lot like having an undefined limit, in that you can't define every number.

No.

A limit cannot be equivalent to multiple values at once. That means it doesn't exist.

If you're still not satisfied, try finding the limit at x = 2 for this piecewise function.

f(x) = { 3, x < 2
           5, x > 2
           7,  x = 2

Remember, for a limit to exist, it's left hand and right hand limit must be the same.

For the sake of helping you figure it out, here's an example of a function that has an undefined limit:

f(x) = 1/x2

The limit at x = 0 exists and is undefined, because the left hand limit and right hand limit approach the same location, positive infinity.

In the problem you were marked wrong on, they did not approach the same location, so the limit does not exist. You absolutely can not call a limit that does not exist undefined.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2010, 11:19:43 pm »

Eh?
Eh!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2010, 12:18:13 am »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2010, 06:59:59 am »

So I was bored and well, I was wondering something. If f(x) = ax + b, and f-1(x) = (x - b)/a, what's f2(x)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2010, 07:11:02 am »

That depends on whether you mean (f(x))2 or f(f(x)).

If the former, a2x2 +b2 +2abx.
If the latter, a2x+ab+b.

I suspect the latter from your notation of the inverse function, though.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2010, 11:54:03 am »

Yeah, I figured it out pretty quickly after the post. It's the latter.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »

"Is true is and only if it is false and is false if and only if it is false" Is true is and only if it is false and is false if and only if it is false.

Is there anything interesting about this statement? What is the minimum requirements to formalize and prove it?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2010, 12:49:43 pm »

Well, probably start with wording it right, because I think you've replaced some if's with is's...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2010, 12:58:45 pm »

"Is true is and only if it is false and is false if and only if it is false" Is true is and only if it is false and is false if and only if it is false.

Is there anything interesting about this statement? What is the minimum requirements to formalize and prove it?

"True if and only if it is false and false if and only if it is false" translates to "always both true and false" (via, IIRC, hypothetical syllogism and conjunction elimination).

Thus the first statement is false, but the entire statement has no defined truth value.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2010, 01:27:41 pm »

Typo, damn, I meant:

"Is true if and only if it is true and is false if and only if it is false" Is true if and only if it is true and is false if and only if it is false.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2010, 01:32:04 pm »

Typo, damn, I meant:

"Is true if and only if it is true and is false if and only if it is false" Is true if and only if it is true and is false if and only if it is false.

Oh, then that's just a garden-variety tautology.  We can put the quoted statement as P, and then ... the entire thing is still equivalent to P.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2010, 01:38:34 pm »

True if and only if it is true, and false if any only if it is false... That has absolutely no meaning. It is true of ANY statement, not just the paradox it is referring to, simply because that is pretty much the definition of true and false: two mutually exclusive states.

I think the whole statement would be written like this: ((a <-> a) ^ (a <-> ~a)) -> ((a <-> a) ^ (a <-> ~a))
The statement is always true, because it is essentially just saying "This impossibility is true if it is true".
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2010, 01:40:47 pm »

What is the minimum axioms needed for it?
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2010, 01:52:18 pm »

What is the minimum axioms needed for it?

Go get yourself a textbook on model theory =)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 173