Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 214932 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2370 on: February 04, 2017, 05:28:18 pm »

Good as in 'better than me'. I'm trying to figure out whether I can turn to this thread for help if I encounter trouble with my studies.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: February 05, 2017, 07:12:17 am »

I'm not entirely sure that's possible. If so, give me the simple graph with the same loop structure as this directed graph:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ideally a simple graph that can be extended to match that directed graph if extended to an infinite length.

Okay, so here's the algebraic idea: Suppose you have any matrix A corresponding to any directed graph with d vertices. Then B = [0,A,A ; A*,A*+A,A ; A*,A*,0] satisfies B = B* and B1 = 0, so B corresponds to a simple, even graph with 3d vertices, and for any state x of A, B[x;x;0] = [Ax;Ax;0], so [x;x;0] is a corresponding state of B with the exact same period as the state x of A.

Here's the geometric correspondence to this construction:
Each vertex becomes three vertices, and the edges are transformed as in the image. Clearly the resulting graph is simple and even. To transform any activation state, take each active circle and activate the corresponding square and diamond (not the triangle!). You'll see that a square is active iff its diamond is active, even after ticks, and that the triangles never activate, and that the left construction acts like a proper one-way gate.

Since all triangles are always off, we can just ignore them, and we get the following construction (straightening out the middle transformation):
Now this should make the relationship way clearer. But hold up, we have an issue now, since the graph is no longer even. To fix that, we can simply add a single triangle vertex, and connect it to every other vertex of odd degree. Since a diamond is connected to the triangle exactly when the corresponding square is connected to the triangle, the triangle will never become active and everything works out fine.

So here's the graph you asked for:

Of course, you can also directly reduce the size of the algebraic construction: B' = [0,A,A1 ; A*,A*+A,A1 ; 1A*,1A*,0] has size 2d+1, and we still have B' = B'* and B'1 = 0, and x still corresponds to [x;x;0], where the 0 is now a scalar instead of a vector.

Feel free to give me credit!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: February 05, 2017, 04:42:03 pm »

How do I integrate (3x^2+7x+6)/(x^2+x+1)? I've been racking my brains and trying different combinations of partial fraction decomposition, integration by parts, etc. but I can't find a way to integrate it fully.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: February 05, 2017, 04:44:55 pm »

How do I integrate (3x^2+7x+6)/(x^2+x+1)? I've been racking my brains and trying different combinations of partial fraction decomposition, integration by parts, etc. but I can't find a way to integrate it fully.

Try polynomial long division; it should simplify stuff a bit. If that doesn't work, try completing the square somewhere.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: February 05, 2017, 04:46:22 pm »

x^2+x+1 is unfactorable. I did long division, I still can't integrate (4x+3)/(x^2+x+1). I tried splitting it up. I still can't integrate 1/(x^2+x+1).

EDIT: Tried completing the square, the roots are imaginary.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 04:48:52 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: February 05, 2017, 05:02:25 pm »

Nevermind, it would appear that I can still integrate it by decomposing it into complex fractions.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: February 05, 2017, 06:05:00 pm »

It's integrable without decomposing into complex bullshit but it's almost unreasonably messy, because the way the denominator is lets you use a dirty version of the arctan integral. You wind up doing some integration by parts with it and get some variant of ln(x^2 + x + 1) + 1/(3^1/2) * arctan((2x+1)/(3^1/2) for each term.

Either way, it's very poorly behaved and probably outside the scope of your course. I would ask your instructor if they wanted you to just put "Not integrable" for it and move on.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: February 05, 2017, 07:07:09 pm »

Choose a Galois field graph from the second example of this post. This d-vertex graph has a period of 2d-1, applying the geometrical construction will give you a simple even graph with d' = 2d+1 vertices and a period of at least 2d-1 = Ω(2d'/2).

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: February 05, 2017, 08:00:32 pm »

I don't think looking at a graph will give you any more insights than what I already typed. Which part are you having trouble with? The Galois field construction, or the directed-to-simple transformation?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: February 06, 2017, 02:01:20 am »

isn't this technically computer science

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: February 06, 2017, 02:14:55 am »

Huh. I thought data structures are solidly computer science's domain.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2381 on: February 06, 2017, 02:44:17 am »

It's probably more a case of something that seems like Comp Sci actually being maths when you get right down to it. It's basically all graph theory, on some level.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: February 06, 2017, 04:48:47 am »

Galois field construction.
In that case looking at the graph will definitely not help you, since the adjacency matrix was constructed entirely by algebraic and non-graph-theoretical means. The matrix that is constructed has a really high period because it is a representation of a linear map that also has a really high period. I suggest you try to understand the algebraic construction instead.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: February 06, 2017, 05:52:29 pm »

Second half? So the transformation method, not the Galois field construction? Okay, here's another more varied example graph together with its transformation.

Again though, I'd recommend you understand the algebraic construction first, because it's conceptually way simpler.

Quote from: Me
Okay, so here's the algebraic idea: Suppose you have any matrix A corresponding to any directed graph with d vertices. Then B = [0,A,A ; A*,A*+A,A ; A*,A*,0] satisfies B = B* and B1 = 0, so B corresponds to a simple, even graph with 3d vertices, and for any state x of A, B[x;x;0] = [Ax;Ax;0], so [x;x;0] is a corresponding state of B with the exact same period as the state x of A.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:55:24 pm by MagmaMcFry »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: February 07, 2017, 09:55:50 am »

@Cinder:No, data structures are mathy, CS people just abuse them for fun and profit.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 173