Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 214819 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2100 on: March 10, 2016, 05:21:06 am »

That sounds super incomprehensible. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: March 10, 2016, 05:47:46 am »

Can anyone tell me what "occur to an even power" mean? All Google shows me are incomprehensible pure mathematics textbooks.
You left out a lot of context here, but if I need to take a guess, it's about prime factors and divisibility. For example, 3 occurs to an even power in x if you can divide 3 out of x an even number of times until it is no longer possible.

Example: x is a square number if and only if every prime occurs to an even power in x.
Way cooler example: x is the sum of two square numbers if and only if every prime that is one less than a multiple of 4 occurs to an even power in x.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2102 on: March 17, 2016, 09:56:37 am »

Does anyone know what the "x" in a probability density function f(x) stands for? @_@

I'm trying to prove that for X ~ U(a, b), the probability that X is less than a + (b-a)p equals p. I know this is intuitively correct, because programming and stuff, but I can't figure out how to make it a proof.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: March 17, 2016, 10:44:11 am »

It's just the point at which you're evaluating the probability density.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: March 17, 2016, 10:48:43 am »

You can intuitively represent the probability density as the derivative of the probability distribution function. To prove your thing, calculate the probability of X < a + (b-a)p by integrating your density from -infinity to a + (b-a)p.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:03:31 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2105 on: March 17, 2016, 11:14:37 am »

Ah, got it!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 21, 2016, 12:15:33 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:59:44 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 21, 2016, 07:06:22 am »

Or like this:
We know a <= c and b <= d, so a+b <= c+d, which is equivalent to b-c <= d-a.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: March 21, 2016, 01:03:36 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:59:02 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: March 23, 2016, 09:12:17 pm »

so much for my attempt to direct a derail here.......
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:36:00 pm by smjjames »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: March 23, 2016, 09:54:12 pm »

Copied and commented from another thread, somewhere in here I presumably made a mistake which I'm not immediately seeing:

This is using relativistic mass, I started with m=M0/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) and E=m*c^2

Everywhere I wrote m below it's actually M0, the rest mass. I combined the two equations and changed the variable name to avoid confusing wolfram alpha later. Also j is E. It's named j so I can remember that it's in joules.
m/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)*c^2=j

I was trying to solve for v:

(c^2*m)/(j)=sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

((c^2*m)/(j))^2-1=-v^2/c^2

-v=sqrt((((c^2*m)/(j))^2-1)*c^2)

Substituting in real numbers and checking the result in W|A gave me a velocity that was both negative and, it it has been positive, far, far greater than the speed of light, which should have been impossible if I did that all correctly.
v=-sqrt((((c^2*10.89 kg)/(0.042 TJ))^2-1)*c^2)

Result of running that through on wolfram alpha:
"v = -2.33*107 sqrt(1 c^2)"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: March 23, 2016, 10:52:24 pm »

Your math is correct but the equation is wrong. E = mc2 is only true if the momentum is zero. Wikipedia tells me that you want to use is
Ekinetic = (rest mass)c^2/sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2) - (rest mass)c^2.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: March 24, 2016, 08:08:28 am »

Ahh, thanks.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: March 24, 2016, 10:12:12 am »

Some problems I've been having trouble with...

1. F of G (4); F(X) |19x^2 - 10x|; G(X) 19x - 10;

I know you have to put G into whatever x's F has like so: 19(19(4) - 10)) - 10 (19(4) - 10 (4)); After commulating that I find that the answer I get isn't part of the any of those provided. Where am I going wrong in the substitution or something else?

2. I'm doing logathrithm expressions and I'm comfortable with Logs but they also have a problem here stated as: ln 1 over e^3 = -3;

I just have no idea what do do when they say change it from log to an equivalent expression with a exponent.

I mean I do know that if you get something like log4^1 over 64 = -3 that you can change it to 4^-13 = 1 over 64.

**1 over 64 is a fraction by the way. I don't know how to do fractions on written forums. Same above When I say number over something.**

3. When they ask for the domain of a function in F(x) = log10 (x +8 over x - 6) does the 10 mean anything? I'm tempted to just say that all numbers not positive 6 , negative, or 8 are okay for x.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: March 24, 2016, 10:41:41 am »

3man75:Absolute value sign.

Do you know negative exponents?
1/e^3 = e^-3
ln(e^-3)=-3

Log base 10.  As opposed to natural log, log base e.

Like log10(10^3)=3=loge(e^3)

As for fractions, use /.

That is how you fraction.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 173