Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 214894 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2025 on: February 01, 2016, 10:22:00 pm »

Well, integration by parts can be nested.
I have found that out already, yes. i hate it

When integrating by parts, how does one choose which part is used for the derivative and which part is used for the anti-derivative without trial and error? I keep picking the wrong sides for each problem and wind up having to erase everything and start a problem over, making homework take effectively twice as long. i hate it so much

If something looks hard/impossible to integrate, take its derivative instead and integrate the other part. If something looks like it would disappear if you repeatedly took its derivative, then take that expression's derivative. If both expressions will never disappear when integrating (such as with excos(x)) you can still use integration by parts, but you have to do a bit more to get something useful (not spoiling it in case you don't know - it's better to try figuring it out first).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: February 02, 2016, 02:17:24 am »

For integration by parts, it's important to know which expressions will go to 0 fastest. Some expressions, the trig ones and exponentials will never go to 0 so you can just infinitely try to integrate by parts and get nowhere very quickly.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: February 05, 2016, 07:31:44 pm »

What can cos2(6x) be converted into using trig identities? For example, I know cos(2x)=cos2x-sin2x or cos(2x)=2cos2x-1 or etc.

No idea how to apply cos2(6x) instead of cos(2x.) It's a part of an integration problem (02cos2(6x)dx) and it's pretty much stumped me. One of many problems that I'm stuck on, actually.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: February 05, 2016, 07:40:50 pm »

What can cos2(6x) be converted into using trig identities? For example, I know cos(2x)=cos2x-sin2x or cos(2x)=2cos2x-1 or etc.

No idea how to apply cos2(6x) instead of cos(2x.) It's a part of an integration problem (02cos2(6x)dx) and it's pretty much stumped me. One of many problems that I'm stuck on, actually.

Use the identity cos(2x)=2cos²x-1 with 6x instead of x and solve for cos²(6x), you'll get cos²(6x) = (cos(12x) + 1)/2.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: February 06, 2016, 01:47:21 pm »

Use a power reduction formula.
I have a reduction formula for the integral of sinnx but not cos.

Would the cos formula be ∫cosnxdx= -(1/n)sinxcosn-1x+((n-1)/n)∫cosn-2xdx ?

EDIT: Used that, it worked. Somehow. At this level of math I'm starting to think calculus is sufficiently advanced enough so that it is indistinguishable from magic.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:10:30 pm by Spehss _ »
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: February 06, 2016, 02:50:01 pm »

Use a power reduction formula.
I have a reduction formula for the integral of sinnx but not cos.

Would the cos formula be ∫cosnxdx= -(1/n)sinxcosn-1x+((n-1)/n)∫cosn-2xdx ?

EDIT: Used that, it worked. Somehow. At this level of math I'm starting to think calculus is sufficiently advanced enough so that it is indistinguishable from magic.

I think Ispil meant this one: cos2u = (1 + cox 2u)/2. The formula you mentioned should work, too, but it will lead to a much larger number of integrals that need to be evaluated. It's a nice example of integration by parts, though.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: February 06, 2016, 06:47:46 pm »

And now for something completely different. Engineering physics question on vectors.

A vector is represented as 9.0i+6.0j-7.0k. What is the angle between the vector and the positive z axis?

I've calculated angles of 2d vectors (arctan(y/x)) but not 3d vectors. How do I solve this? I've tried arctan(z/x) which is arctan(-7/9) which results in -37.87o. That's the angle between the x component and the z component, isn't it? How would I find the angle between the vector and the positive z axis? The answer in the back of the book says it's 123o.

I think I'm misunderstanding something somewhere.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: February 06, 2016, 07:29:55 pm »

Here's the insight you need: The dot product of any two euclidean vectors is equal to the product of their lengths multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: February 07, 2016, 11:35:05 am »

Here's the insight you need: The dot product of any two euclidean vectors is equal to the product of their lengths multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them.
So what I got out of that (I already knew this) was to treat the z axis as its own vector with a length of -7, calculate the length of the initial vector, which is ~12.9, then calculate arccos(-7/12.9) which results in 122.86o or ~123o.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: February 07, 2016, 11:46:12 am »

Tada!

That's your answer, isn't it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: February 07, 2016, 12:07:25 pm »

It's worth noting that while you put in a mathematically valid operation to get the right solution, where those numbers came from was wrong and it's pure coincidence that you got it right.

dotP(A,B) = Xa*Xb + Ya*Yb... = |A|*|B|*cos(theta)

In your problem, you would use A = (9,6,-7) and B = (0,0,1) (the easiest +Z vector to use). Then you'd find the dot product, which = 9*0 + 6*0 + -7*1 = -7. Then you'd find |A|*|B|, |A| = 12.9 like you said and |B| = 1, so |A|*|B| = 12.9, then you divide your dot product (-7) by the multiplied magnitudees (12.9) to find cos(theta), which is -.543, then you take acos(-.543) and get your 123.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: February 07, 2016, 12:10:11 pm »

Yeah, I have no clue how to 3D vectors.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: February 07, 2016, 05:08:58 pm »

It's worth noting that while you put in a mathematically valid operation to get the right solution, where those numbers came from was wrong and it's pure coincidence that you got it right.

dotP(A,B) = Xa*Xb + Ya*Yb... = |A|*|B|*cos(theta)

In your problem, you would use A = (9,6,-7) and B = (0,0,1) (the easiest +Z vector to use). Then you'd find the dot product, which = 9*0 + 6*0 + -7*1 = -7. Then you'd find |A|*|B|, |A| = 12.9 like you said and |B| = 1, so |A|*|B| = 12.9, then you divide your dot product (-7) by the multiplied magnitudees (12.9) to find cos(theta), which is -.543, then you take acos(-.543) and get your 123.
I went and did some rereading of the textbook and some working with 2d vectors and see how the dot product is used for all that. Useful to know, thanks for pointing that out.

New question.
Two vectors:
d1=(4)i+(5)j-(6)k
d2=(-1)i+(2)j+(3)k

(a) What is the component of d1 along the direction of d2?
(b) What is the component of d1 that is perpendicular to the direction of d2 and within the plane of d1 and d2?
Spoiler: already solved a (click to show/hide)

Don't know what to do with part B.

Tried adding 90 to the angle to make the direction perpendicular, which gives the component 8.8cos(201)=-8.2. The correct answer is positive 8.2, not negative 8.2. I think maybe the component is supposed to be the absolute value, and the negative just indicates it's in the opposite direction?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: February 07, 2016, 05:34:36 pm »

I still don't get cross products. Is there any rule on how they scale up as you add dimensions to vectors?

I think that'd help a lot.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: February 07, 2016, 05:52:10 pm »

Yeah. The dot product is super mega useful. The cross product really isn't. It's R3 only, serviceable in R2 by using 0 for Z.

Cross products are really weird, because they don't make much intuitive sense. You have an L shape, and the cross product of them is in the 3rd dimension. It always points "out" compared to the vectors it's a cross product of. You're finding the normal of the plane formed by those two vectors.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 173