Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 219753 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2010, 01:30:02 pm »

For a term like 45a5 you would just tear apart both parts. So you get {3, 3, 5, a, a, a, a, a} as factors for the completely factored form. Mix and match any factors you like to get something like 9a4.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2010, 01:33:49 pm »

For a term like 45a5 you would just tear apart both parts. So you get {3, 3, 5, a, a, a, a, a} as factors for the completely factored form. Mix and match any factors you like to get something like 9a4.

Thanks! :D

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2010, 02:36:06 pm »

does anyone know an equation that can be used to calculate pi?

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2010, 02:41:24 pm »

Here's the Leibniz formula for pi.  This is only an approximation using a non-infinite number of terms, of course, but you can keep going for as long as you like to get as much accuracy as you like.  Unfortunately, it converges very slowly, but it will work.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2010, 11:08:01 pm »

If you want something faster (but harder to understand), you can look into Machin's formula.

Of course, you have to know how to turn arctan into a series in order to use it to compute pi...

Arzgarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2010, 03:35:33 am »

And for something extremely fast and without fancy trigonometric functions, there's Ramanujan's formula. 8 decimal places with each iteration!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2010, 12:24:01 pm »

Goddammit, Ramanujan, why do you have to show all of us up... again?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2010, 12:39:52 pm »

so there's no non-infinite equation that gets it exactly?  :(

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2010, 12:43:58 pm »

so there's no non-infinite equation that gets it exactly?  :(

No.  That's one of its more interesting qualities.

Look up transcendental numbers.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2010, 05:35:28 pm »

Ok there's this math problem that I've had in the back of my mind for some time.

You have a 10 by 10 grid.  In each square, you can place an A or a B.  They each have the following values:

A always has the value of 1.
B has a value of 1, plus 1 for each A in the surrounding 8 squares.

So a 3X3 grid like this:

ABA
AAA
BAA

has a value of:
7 for the A's
plus 10 for the B's for a total of 17.

Maximize the value of the 10x10 grid. 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2010, 05:40:23 pm »

I think a checkerboard pattern would maximize that but those are my initial thoughts looking at the problem.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2010, 06:32:37 pm »

Let's try a few patterns and see what we get.

Code: [Select]
AAAAAAAAAA   /10/   AAAAAAAAAA   /10/   AAAAAAAAAA   /10/   ABABABABAB   /19/   ABABABABAB   /24/   
ABAABAABAA   /34/   ABABABABAB   /50/   BBBBBBBBBB   /66/   BBBBBBBBBB   /38/   BABABABABA   /29/   
AAAAAAAAAA   /10/   AAAAAAAAAA   /10/   AAAAAAAAAA   /10/   ABABABABAB   /19/   ABABABABAB   /29/   
ABAABAABAA   /34/   ABABABABAB   /50/   BBBBBBBBBB   /66/   BBBBBBBBBB   /38/   BABABABABA   /29/   
AAAAAAAAAA   /10/   AAAAAAAAAA   /10/   AAAAAAAAAA   /10/   ABABABABAB   /19/   ABABABABAB   /29/   
ABAABAABAA   /19/   ABABABABAB   /25/   BBBBBBBBBB   /38/   BBBBBBBBBB   /24/   BABABABABA   /24/   
Score: 205          Score: 275          Score: 352          Score: 271          Score: 280
I'm pretty sure the middle one is the best. If you swap one of the As for a B, you gain two points for the surrounding As, but lose 6 points from the surrounding Bs (lose 3 on the top row). If you swap one of the Bs for an A, you gain two points from the surrounding Bs, but lose six from the surrounding As (different values on the ends, but it's still not worth it.

Of course, there could be a completely different arrangement that has a higher score, But I believe this is the highest scoring such pattern.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2010, 09:59:49 pm »

Yeah my initial thought was alternating rows of A's and B's but I couldn't prove it out in any way.

I also don't know if it would hold for a grid with an odd number of squares.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 01, 2010, 04:14:57 am »

I'm almost certain it would hold. No matter where a grid square is, it is better off in the alternating rows (or columns) layout than any other.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 01, 2010, 01:42:41 pm »

Alternating diagonals.

Man I am just not on the ball for this stuff.

Kind of reminds me of a capacitor.

Also, with the details given, there is no difference in value between A and B.
A=B
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:49:54 pm by eerr »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 173