Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 215404 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1890 on: October 10, 2015, 03:15:25 pm »

The derivative of e^(x) is e^(x). Does this apply to any constant^(x) or just the constant e?

Like, would derivative of 2^(x) be 2^(x)?
e is a very special number. The fact that f'(x) = f(x) in that special case is one of the many definitions of e. There is no other function with a derivative that equals itself, although there is another group of functions that can eventually wind up with what you started, the trig functions.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: October 10, 2015, 03:17:30 pm »

New question, if I need to find y' of y=2^(sin(πx) using the Chain rule. (note that π = pi) Can I use the chain rule just once or do I need to use it multiple times?

As far as I can see, either y=f(g(x)) where f(x)=2^(sin(x)) and g(x)=πx or y=f(g(h(x))) where f(x)=2^x and g(x)=sin(X) and h(x)=πx.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: October 10, 2015, 03:36:49 pm »

He hasn't gotten to implicit differentiation yet, I would assume given that he's only just not learning dy/dx(e^x) and chain rule. His teacher is almost certainly looking for the standard differentiation method.

Chain rule has to be applied for every single function. In that case, your equation can be broken down into 3 distinct functions that you must differentiate sequentially.
y = f(g(h(x))), f(x) = 2^x, g(x) = sin(x), h(x) = pi*x. To apply chainrule, you work sequentially outside in.

For f(x) = 2^x, you have a form of a^x, whose derivative rule is d(a^x )/dx = a^x * ln(a). In this case, that becomes 2^"x" * ln(2). I single out the x there, because it's important to remember that your "x" there is actually g(h(x)), which is sin(pi*x), so your current form becomes 2^(sin(pi*x)) *ln(2). Then you do chain rule.

For g(x) = sin(x), d/dx = cos(x), no transformation needed. So now you multiply that with your f(x). 2^(sin(pi*x)) * ln(2) * cos("x"). Again, remember that "x" in what you just added is h(x), so pi*x. Your total form is now 2^(sin(pi*x)) * ln(2) * cos(pi*x). Then you do chain rule again.

For h(x) = pi*x, d/dx = pi. This is a form of d(ax)/dx = a. You should be able to recognize that a constant times x's derivative is always the constant. So then you multiply in that derivative, and you get your final answer, 2^(sin(pi*x)) * ln(2) * cos(pi*x) * pi.

You can check this answer by putting it into your TI-89's derivative function, or on an online calculator such as WolframAlpha, like this. If you did everything right, what you have should be equivalent to that. In this case, your ln(2) and pi are shuffled around which is fine thanks to commutative property of multiplication.

EDIT: Interesting. I learned a new bbcodes shorthand today.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:38:40 pm by frostshotgg »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: October 10, 2015, 03:42:15 pm »

Can you do derivatives (or whatever frostshotgg said to do with a TI-89) on a TI-84?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: October 10, 2015, 03:47:25 pm »

Unfortunately not. If you're taking calculus now, and expect to take another calculus course any time ever, a TI-89 or a TI-nSpire is an invaluable resource and worth the money. They have derivative and integral functions that are incredibly useful, as well as other useful functions, like summations, factorization, and especially equation solvers. The other ones are useful, but the equation solving function is just so fantastic that I can't imagine talking calculus without it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: October 10, 2015, 04:01:34 pm »

...I wonder if "Calculator says so" is acceptable showing of work, in any case.
Or if you can implement something in Pascal...
But no has monies so :(
Calc hurts.
We're doing limit definition of derivatives RN.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:03:12 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: October 10, 2015, 04:07:39 pm »

I would ask your school if they have TI-89s to loan out, then. If they don't, then it's probable they won't have any questions that require a calculator.

Generally speaking, if you're allowed a calculator on the test/problem, just writing d/dy (f(x)) = whatever is sufficient.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: October 10, 2015, 04:10:54 pm »

Hah, no.  We have to buy calculators.
...By the way, are those off-limits on like the ACT and stuff?
Sigtext

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: October 10, 2015, 04:18:54 pm »

TI-89 and other calculators with equation solving functions are off limits on the ACT specifically because they can solve equations. They're fair game pretty much everywhere else, and the AP Calculus tests basically require a calculator as smart as the 89 for the calculator allowed portions.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: October 10, 2015, 04:23:49 pm »

Yeah, I figured as much.  Oh well, I'll put it on my List Of Things That I Would Like For College.
Sigtext

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: October 10, 2015, 07:20:02 pm »

I swear I'm doing all the problems wrong holy shit.

Get the derivative of y=2/(1+e^(-x))

So y=f(g(h(x)))

f(x)=2/x where x=g(h(x))

g(x)=1+x where x=h(x)

h(x)=e^(-x)

Am I doing it right so far?

Textbook describes chain rule for 3 links as (dy/dt)=(dy/dx)(dx/dt)=(dy/dx)(du/dx)(dx/dt). No idea how to interpret that. I know think I know as far as I know that d(insert function here)/dx refers to "derivative of function in the numerator" or some shit. Don't know what the "dx" or "dt" in the denominator of the derivative symbolizes or how I should interpret that as anything aside from "derivative of function in the numerator".

So (dy/dx)(du/dx)(dx/dt) = "derivative of y" * "derivative of u" * "derivative of x" ? Does this mean that to find y' I need to multiply f'(x) by g'(x) by h'(x)?

My notes for a chain rule with 2 links is y'=f'(g(x))*g'(x). Seems like 3 links would be y'=f'(g(h(x)))*g'(x)*h'(x). Or y'=f'(g(h(x)))*g'(h'(x))

...I don't know what I'm doing.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: October 10, 2015, 07:24:03 pm »

Derive y in terms of x (but you probably meant u otherwise it doesn't make much sense), u in terms of x, and x in terms of t.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: October 10, 2015, 07:32:48 pm »

Oh right, looking at the question that should come out quite easily. I retract any endorsement of using the chain rule.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: October 10, 2015, 07:33:33 pm »

I think you're overthinking this one. Consider just using the quotient rule. Save yourself a lot of headache.
Quotient rule is a thing the class hasn't covered yet, thanks. Otherwise I would clearly use the easiest solution.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: October 10, 2015, 07:36:23 pm »

It's a special case of the chain rule anyway.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 173