Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216233 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1545 on: May 03, 2014, 01:04:41 pm »

The total amount of money needed to be paid: ε = y/m.

Initial individual cost:
ε1 = y/m

Afterwards, with p less people:
ε2 = y/(m-p)

The difference:
ε2 - ε1 = y/(m-p) - y/m = y[m - (m - p)]/[m(m - p)] = py/[m(m - p)]
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1546 on: May 04, 2014, 08:14:14 am »

Many thanks, separating the initial cost equation from the same equation that takes abstainers into consideration didn't occur to me.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 04, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »

I'm probably posting this on too short a notice, but please help me figure out what kind of vector space I'm supposed to work with, as I can't really make sense of the notation, and why it's supposed to be real:

Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 04, 2014, 02:38:14 pm »

I believe V(A, λ) is supposed to denote the eigenspace of A to the eigenvalue λ (the set of solutions x to Ax=λx). Note that this eigenspace isn't real by itself, but if you add it to its conjugate, then (since A is real) the resulting subspace should have a real base. Your task is to find that real base.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 04, 2014, 02:51:38 pm »

Hmmmm, considering the current curriculum that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1550 on: May 06, 2014, 06:45:05 am »

Find the range of x for which

sum [n=1 to infinity, an/(x+2)n] converges when a> 0.

abs (a/(x+2)) < 1, I get. But how does
1 < (x+2)/a < -1
make sense, like it says so in the answers?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 06, 2014, 07:07:44 am »

Find the range of x for which

sum [n=1 to infinity, an/(x+2)n] converges when a> 0.

abs (a/(x+2)) < 1, I get. But how does
1 < (x+2)/a < -1
make sense, like it says so in the answers?
1 < (x+2)/a < -1 is complete nonsense as a number can't be both greater than 1 and less than -1.

|a/(x+2)| < 1
|a|/|x+2| < 1
|a| < |x+2|
1 < |x+2|/|a|
1 < |(x+2)/a|

(x+2)/a > 1 or (x+2)/a < -1, for x != -2 and a != 0.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1552 on: May 06, 2014, 07:53:24 am »

The book literally says that that is the answer.

a-2 < x < -a-2 when a is a positive number. ???

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 06, 2014, 08:18:45 am »

The book literally says that that is the answer.

a-2 < x < -a-2 when a is a positive number. ???
There's no notation I've ever heard of where that could be considered an answer. For instance, let a = 3. What numbers can there possibly be that satisfy 1 < x < -5 ? A logical OR is necessary to solve that problem.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1554 on: May 08, 2014, 12:53:16 am »

How do you read d2y/dx2? :D

Also, is it that way because it's basically d/dx (dy/dx) ?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 08, 2014, 01:04:57 am »

How do you read d2y/dx2? :D

Also, is it that way because it's basically d/dx (dy/dx) ?
Pretty much. It's read as the second derivative of y with respect to x.

Also, d2y/dx2 would be closer to the proper mathematics formatting.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:07:04 am by da_nang »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 08, 2014, 01:20:10 am »

I need a bit of help. I'm trying to formally prove why the sum of all of number's roots equals zero. I can logic it out in a way that makes sense to my brain, but I'm not sure how to translate that to proper math. I'm assuming that "A circle is close enough to 0" isn't a valid mathematical statement, of course.

So I start with the root equation, n√(r)cis((θ+k360°)/n). n√(r) will cancel out in the end because it's multiplying at the end for all possible roots, so that can be ignored. Then something something arccis(coolest operation ever) on both sides so the cis cancels out, and then you're left Σ(θ+k360°)/n = 0 and this is where I get unsure of what the fuck to do. My first instinct is to say that the /n can be ignored because the rule that says a fraction has to have a numerator of 0 to = 0, but the summation makes me unsure.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 08, 2014, 02:12:27 am »

Start at the start, end at the end. Write it all out clearly. Then say where you're having trouble.

Where does the "both sides" come from? You have only one side you've shown. There's a cos + isin theta on both sides you're canceling out? Okay, but why would this cancellation on the invisible side be equal to zero? I feel like you're building the argument based on your conclusion.

Start at the start, use your operations one by one, and make your way to the end. It's okay to think nonlinearly, but it's not a very good method of communication.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 08, 2014, 02:13:35 am »

I need a bit of help. I'm trying to formally prove why the sum of all of number's roots equals zero. I can logic it out in a way that makes sense to my brain, but I'm not sure how to translate that to proper math. I'm assuming that "A circle is close enough to 0" isn't a valid mathematical statement, of course.

So I start with the root equation, n√(r)cis((θ+k360°)/n). n√(r) will cancel out in the end because it's multiplying at the end for all possible roots, so that can be ignored. Then something something arccis(coolest operation ever) on both sides so the cis cancels out, and then you're left Σ(θ+k360°)/n = 0 and this is where I get unsure of what the fuck to do. My first instinct is to say that the /n can be ignored because the rule that says a fraction has to have a numerator of 0 to = 0, but the summation makes me unsure.
There are a few simplifications you can do without loss of generality. Firstly, remember that each root is spaced equally apart with respect to the angle in the real-imaginary plane. This means that if n is even, there will always be a root with an opposite real-imaginary vector and thus cancel each other out. Thus you've proved half the problem.

Secondly, notice that the θ is constant and constitutes nothing more than a translation (or rotation in the real-imaginary plane). Thus you only need to look at the case with θ = 0 and odd n.

This essentially means all roots are solutions to the equation xn = 1, for odd n. You will always have one root x = 1. This is the case k = 0. It also means all the complex roots are complex conjugates and thus the imaginary vector components cancel each other out.

So really, all you have to prove is Σcos(2kπ/n) = -1, for k = 1 to k = n-1 and n is odd, or equivalently Σcos(2kπ/n) = -1/2 for k = 1 to k = (n-1)/2 and n is odd, or equivalently Σcos(2kπ/n) = 0 for k = 0 to k = n-1 and n is odd.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:27:11 am by da_nang »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 08, 2014, 02:14:23 am »

Well, first of all you swapped arccis and summation, which is illegal, so no wonder you got something weird.

Now to prove this, let's rewrite cis(x) as exp(i*x). Now let S := Σexp(i*(θ+k360°)/n). Now S = Σexp(i*(θ+(k+1)360°)/n), because both sums sum over the same values.

Now 0 = S - S = Σexp(i*(θ+(k+1)360°)/n) - S = Σexp(i*(θ+k360°)/n)*exp(i*360°/n) - S = S*exp(i*360°/n) - S = S*(exp(i*360°/n)-1),
and since (exp(i*360°/n)-1) != 0, S must be 0.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:16:10 am by MagmaMcFry »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 173