Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216247 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1530 on: April 24, 2014, 05:34:41 pm »

​Does anything worth writing up happen when you start with a 3D vector field Field[x, y, z] and calculate the curl of curlField[x, y, z] which is given by
curlcurlField[x, y, z] = ∇⨯(∇⨯Field[x, y, z])?​
Other than ∇⨯(∇⨯F) = ∇(∇·F) - ∇2F ? Nothing that comes to mind right now. Nothing special pertaining to that particular calculation, anyway.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #1531 on: April 25, 2014, 02:44:36 am »

My math skills... are quite rusty.  Especially integration, of course, but in this case it's simply summation of series.  I haven't worked with series much in my life, and now I'm a bit stuck.

Maybe one of you can guide me a bit.

bn = sum(km × an+m, for all m)

I have all the values of bi and of ki, but need to find all the values of ai.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Clarified some things.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:55:06 am by DreamThorn »
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 25, 2014, 02:46:52 am »

Without n, probably no.
._.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: April 25, 2014, 02:51:27 am »

I mean: I have to get an for all n.

I will edit my post for clarity.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 25, 2014, 03:34:48 am »

My math skills... are quite rusty.  Especially integration, of course, but in this case it's simply summation of series.  I haven't worked with series much in my life, and now I'm a bit stuck.

Maybe one of you can guide me a bit.

bn = sum(km × an+m, for all m)

I have all the values of bi and of ki, but need to find all the values of ai.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Clarified some things.
It looks like a variant of a linear inverse problem. Problematic of course if any of the ranges of the indices are infinite, but solvable for finite ranges. (Assuming n and m are indices.)

b = Ka, where b and a are column vectors. Let k be a row vector and dim(K) = NxN.

Let 1 <= m <= M and 1 <= n <= N.
If N > M, then K will be a band matrix with the first row featuring k followed by zeroes and for each succeeding row, k is moved to the right.
If N<=M then K will be a upper right triangular matrix, with the first row featuring k (truncated at the Nth element) and moves similarly to the right for each succeeding row.

Either way, the naive solution is a = K-1b. However, since inverse problems are typically ill-conditioned, you'd probably need to use a truncated singular value decomposition or other method for handling ill-conditioned matrices such as CGLS.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:40:15 am by da_nang »

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:40 am »

Thanks da_nang!

Using a matrix is a very good idea.

I'll look into that CGLS and truncated singular value decomposition you mentioned.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:43:03 am by DreamThorn »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1536 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:37 am »

The area of a circular sector is r^2*theta*pi (theta is the central angle), right? Would a *b*theta have any meaning? Imagine something similar to a sector, but with uneven sides.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 30, 2014, 10:27:15 am »

The area of a circular sector is r^2*theta*pi (theta is the central angle), right? Would a *b*theta have any meaning? Imagine something similar to a sector, but with uneven sides.
Eh, I believe it's ½*θ*r2, when θ is in radians ((θ/360º)*π*r2, when in degrees). This is due to the symmetry of the circle so that the area of a circular sector is just a fraction of the area of the circle. That fraction is determined by the central angle.

Incidentally, ½*θ*r2 = ½*b*r, where b is the arc length, again due to symmetry.

As for the second question, you'd need to specify what a and b are.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 03, 2014, 08:46:08 am »

So quick question, does anyone know of any cool uses of polar coordinates in nature, or the world in general? It's for an optional paper I'm thinking of writing.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 03, 2014, 09:02:12 am »

Navigation mostly. But I almost always see modified or generalized variants.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1540 on: May 03, 2014, 09:21:39 am »

Objects in orbit around anything.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 03, 2014, 11:22:23 am »

Any spherical or circular systems that need to be described mathematically.

Other than the two stated, the first to pop to mind is chemistry or quantum mechanical descriptions of atoms. Atomic orbitals (or probability distributions) are described in polar terms.

When working with electromagnetism you tend to use polar coordinates based on the shape of the system. A lot of the time that means cylindrical polar coordinates. Examples would range from a simple electrical wire (with fields radiating out) to the various fields within a fusion Tokamak.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 03, 2014, 11:49:39 am »

This could be what I go with. I was honestly considering talking about WWII technology. I was looking at a LP of Silent Hunter 3, and thinking about the whole range finding, angle, and speed system for finding torpedo firing solutions. Bomb sights, the battle of the beams, and various aspects of naval warfare all seem like they could be interesting problems to talk about, in fact in general I think the whole problem of "How do I get this moving object to collide with this other moving object" is an interesting problem mathematically.

Any spherical or circular systems that need to be described mathematically.

Other than the two stated, the first to pop to mind is chemistry or quantum mechanical descriptions of atoms. Atomic orbitals (or probability distributions) are described in polar terms.

When working with electromagnetism you tend to use polar coordinates based on the shape of the system. A lot of the time that means cylindrical polar coordinates. Examples would range from a simple electrical wire (with fields radiating out) to the various fields within a fusion Tokamak.
This is also extremely interesting, I may have to read up on this.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 03, 2014, 12:14:54 pm »

This could be what I go with. I was honestly considering talking about WWII technology. I was looking at a LP of Silent Hunter 3, and thinking about the whole range finding, angle, and speed system for finding torpedo firing solutions. Bomb sights, the battle of the beams, and various aspects of naval warfare all seem like they could be interesting problems to talk about, in fact in general I think the whole problem of "How do I get this moving object to collide with this other moving object" is an interesting problem mathematically.
Well according to Silent Hunter, all you need is position, Angle-on-Bow (AoB) and speed, with the sub in a (near)-stationary position. Basically, course and velocity relative to the sub. But there's stuff hidden under the hood, such as gyro angles, torpedo speed, running depth and the most cursed problem of all: faulty torpedoes. That Mk-14 torpedo fiasco is legendary.

And based on my experience with that series, the range and AoB needs to be damn accurate to get a good firing solution. Especially range as it's used to find the speed and thus compounding errors.

Range-finding in that game can either be based on similar triangles or trigonometry.
Trigonometric case:
d = h/tan(a)

Similar triangles:
d = h*b/c

Where d is the distance, h is a reference height of a ship met from the waterline, a is the angle measured, b is the lower catheter of the smaller triangle and c is the measured catheter.

Either way, the smaller the measured quantity is, the greater the error. This is then used to calculate the speed as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:24:24 pm by da_nang »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1544 on: May 03, 2014, 12:53:37 pm »

"To celebrate a colleague's graduation, the 'm' coworkers in an office agreed to contribute equally to a catered lunch that costs a total of 'y' dollars. If 'p' of the coworkers fail to contribute, which of the following represents the additional amount, in dollars, that each of the remaining coworkers must contribute to pay for the lunch?"

The correct answer is
(py) / (m(m-p))

I'd like to know how to get to that.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 173