Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 199261 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2010, 02:14:50 pm »

we have:
4b^2 = a^2
so a2 is a multiple of four.
We also have:
But doesn't the original proof rely on if N2 is a multiple of x, N must also be?
Yes.  What's the problem?
so if a2 is a multiple of four, a must also be a multiple of four. Yet:
a = 2c isn't a multiple of four.  a = 2.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2010, 02:20:27 pm »

so if a2 is a multiple of four, a must also be a multiple of four.

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2010, 02:23:03 pm »

so if a2 is a multiple of four, a must also be a multiple of four.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2010, 02:24:48 pm »

You supported that part:
But doesn't the original proof rely on if N2 is a multiple of x, N must also be?

Furthermore, the argument for the square root of two relies on it as well.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2010, 02:30:27 pm »

You supported that part:

Furthermore, the argument for the square root of two relies on it as well.

Jesus Christ.

Yes, you're right, I spoke badly.

But in more seriousness, sit down like all the rest of us had to, and write out the proof, and figure out why it works.  It isn't that hard.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »

Forgive the interruption. I've been given a geometry problem that I can't seem to solve. I need to prove that if you connect the middles of a quadrilateral segments you get a rectangle. I also know that the diagonals of said quadrilateral are perpendicular to each other (90 degrees).
Any ideas?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2010, 03:23:57 pm »

Doesn't perpendicularity of diagonals imply that you have a kite?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2010, 03:25:03 pm »

Indeed it does, though, it doesn't help much with the solution.

e, I'll write it down. I have a points ABCD which create a kite. Points E, F,G, and H, divide AB, BC, CD and DA in half respectively. I need to prove that EFGH is a rectangle.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:30:24 pm by ILikePie »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2010, 03:30:51 pm »

WHAAAAAT.

Yes it does.

Anyways, if you're stuck, just prove the connecting segments are parallel to the diagonals by using similar triangles.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2010, 03:32:33 pm »

Sure it does... it solves the entire problem for us, because we end up with a whole bunch of congruent right triangles.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2010, 03:36:03 pm »

so if a2 is a multiple of four, a must also be a multiple of four. Yet:
a2 = m*4, m is an integer
a = (m*4)1/2
a = 2*m1/2
m1/2 is not necessarily an integer rational, nor is 2*m1/2 necessarily a multiple of 4 (consider the case for m = 2 for example)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:33:41 pm by Virex »

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2010, 05:23:04 pm »

Sure it does... it solves the entire problem for us, because we end up with a whole bunch of congruent right triangles.
I still don't see it, and it's late. I'll ask some people in class tomorrow, I'm sure someone got it right. Thanks for the help you two.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2010, 05:31:46 pm »

Woohoo, I figured out my problem!  I'm about 1/2 to 1/3 done writing the proof out.  It feels so good to have finally solved it!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2010, 05:56:10 pm »

Woohoo, I figured out my problem!  I'm about 1/2 to 1/3 done writing the proof out.  It feels so good to have finally solved it!

Managed to get someone to explain my problem to me... turns out that the main reason why I was being so dumb about it was a serious notation issue.  Never would have thought to write it out that way :-[

Bah-bleeding-humbug.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2010, 06:13:37 pm »

Forgive the interruption. I've been given a geometry problem that I can't seem to solve. I need to prove that if you connect the middles of a quadrilateral segments you get a rectangle. I also know that the diagonals of said quadrilateral are perpendicular to each other (90 degrees).
Any ideas?
I remember these. First of all, you'll always get a parallelogram when you connect the midpoints of adjacent sides of a quadrilateral.
Given Quadrilateral ABCD, with midpoint of AB at F and midpoint of BC at G. Draw diagonal AC and segment FG. Since FB:AB = GB:CB = 1/2, FG:AC = 1/2. Do the same with the other side and diagonal, and you will find that you always get a parallelogram with sides parallel to the diagonals of the quadrilateral, and you can take it from there. Hopefully.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 173