Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 199255 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2010, 12:53:09 am »

So, question for you folks who do a whole bunch of math at a whack: How do you set up your work area? I start to get a sore neck and headache at about the 2 hour mark from bending over the table where my scratch paper and textbook are.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2010, 01:09:15 am »

So, question for you folks who do a whole bunch of math at a whack: How do you set up your work area? I start to get a sore neck and headache at about the 2 hour mark from bending over the table where my scratch paper and textbook are.

I often sit on the couch with a hard surface under my notebook, and the textbook next to me.  Other times, though, I end up sitting on the floor and working on the coffee table, usually with some sort of snack close by.

Generally, though, I fix that problem by massaging my neck, and usually I don't bend over very far: I keep my back straight and bend my neck a little, but other than that I try to keep my posture from eating me.

Other than that, I keep around blankets, water, various layers of clothing, a bunch of textbooks, a bunch of notebooks, scrap paper, and so on.  Typically, I sit with my back to the clock and don't play music.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2010, 01:56:14 am »

I have one of those 1.5 inch three ring binders for my math notebooks, and I use that as a writing surface while I migrate about my house, sometimes sitting on a couch, sometimes at a table, and sometimes just lying on the floor in random parts of my house. I like changing the scenery while I work.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2010, 04:17:03 am »

This is one thing that has rather annoyed me. The proof that the square root of two is irrational goes (informally) as follows:

Quote from: proof
let the square root of two be a/b, where a and b are integers, and b is not zero, and a and b have no common factors.
(2)0.5=a/b
2=a2/b2
a2=2b2
now since a2 is a square number and is a multiple of two, a must therefore also be a multiple of two. we can then write a=2c, and a2=4c2.
4c2=2b2
2c2=b2
now since b2 is a square number and is a multiple of two, b must therefore also be a multiple of two.
but in the initial conditions, we chose a and b so that they had no common factors.
A paradox is created, so the square root of two therefore cannot be a rational number.

What is to stop one using this same method to "prove" that the square root of four, or nine, or sixteen is irrational?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2010, 04:20:28 am »

Try writing a proof and see what happens.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2010, 05:17:36 am »

In other words, because it's 3 AM and why not...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2010, 08:54:26 am »

Did you just make 1 = 2?

Stop breaking my brain!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2010, 10:52:56 am »

No, B is 1, and A is 2, but they're not set equal to each other (I think.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2010, 11:43:35 am »

4b^2 = a^2

OK, replace a with 2c

4b^2 = 4c^2
But doesn't the original proof rely on if N2 is a multiple of x, N must also be?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:46 pm »

Ahh, the road to becoming a professional mathematician... I can feel the paranoia riding strong again ::)

Is it bad that I've taped my curtain to the wall so that no one can peak in through the gap in the side?

EDIT:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »

Yes, infimum-preserving under a morphism.  Good to see you, Christes :D

But doesn't the original proof rely on if N2 is a multiple of x, N must also be?

Yes.  What's the problem?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2010, 01:17:04 pm »

How do you divide?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2010, 01:31:35 pm »

Well, let's say you have 5/5. Now, this looks easy, but you can make it simpler by instead multiplying by the inverse of the denominator, like so.

5/(1/5) - This is equivalent to the following, because any real integer (in this case 5) has an invisible denominator of one.

(5/1)(1/5) - Do some cross-multiplication by multiplying as such.

(25/5)x(1/5) - simplify this to get

(25/5)x(1/5) - Now, multiply the numerators and denominators.

(25x1)/(5x5) - simplify this to get

25/25 - simplify.

1/1 - this is equal to 1, because any number divided by itself is equal to 1.

Division problem solved without division.

If you were being serious, I both feel terrible and can help you actually do division if you want.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:35:11 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2010, 01:57:42 pm »

Yes.  What's the problem?
In your explanation, you violate this, by doing this:

4b^2 = a^2

OK, replace a with 2c

4b^2 = 4c^2
This would be acceptable if, when you worked out your value of c it came to a multiple of 2. However, it does not, which means that a=2c cannot be a multiple of four.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2010, 01:59:08 pm »

a = 2c isn't a multiple of four.  a = 2.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 173