Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216964 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1020 on: June 26, 2013, 10:08:35 am »

A form of nerd-sniping: present a simple problem that can be trivially made much harder.
Why is there a glowing red conjecture on my forehead?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1021 on: June 26, 2013, 10:12:47 am »

I think this problem isn't solvable. Can someone confirm that? ;D
Also, I left most of my problems at the hakwon (math cram school-like thing), so I have very few to present. If this is sufficiently interesting enough, I'll be posting more later x3

As always, no calcs. This one is probably a problem where calculators won't help.

Let {an} be a series.
Let Sn = a1 + a2 + ... + an.  (In other words, sigma k=1 to n, an)
Let a1 = 1.
The equation

(Sn+1 - Sn-1 + an)2 = 8anan+1 + 4n

is true for any n, where n ≥ 2 and n is a natural number. Find the value of

limn→∞ ( an / (n * 2n) ).

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 26, 2013, 10:33:18 am »

My extremely low math skills tell me that it is 1 or close to it definitely 1.

Also, this is too easy. This equation can be pretty much solved in 4 steps.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:38:05 am by Sergarr »
._.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 26, 2013, 11:19:19 am »

Actually, that limit can be anywhere between -1/2 and 1/2, or even not exist.
Proof: Let bn be an/2n for all n. The given equality is then equivalent to |bn+1-bn|=1/2. The absolute sign is very important here and shows that the problem has multiple (an) solutions.

Therefore, for any series (cn) with elements in {-1/2, 1/2} (but c1 = +1/2), the sequence 2nsigma(1,n,ck) is a valid sequence of (an), for which an/(n*2n) converges to -1/2 + the limit percentage of positive ck, which is obviously variable, and may not even exist.

Example 1: Let 0 <= p <= 1. Then cn := 0.5*(-1)floor(n*p)-floor((n-1)*p) generates a sequence (an) for which lim(an/(n*2n)) = 1/2 - p.

Example 2: Let p > 1. Then cn := 0.5*(-1)floor(logpn) generates a sequence (an) for which the value of an/(n*2n) fluctuates between -(p-1)/2(p+1) and +(p-1)/2(p+1), so the limit doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:33:04 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 26, 2013, 01:06:54 pm »

Okay, I'll think about it. Although the uncertainty in determining a(n), I believe, is not intended, because then the problem doesn't make sense. I've got an equation a(n+1)=2^n+2a(n) which results in limit being 1, but now I see that the quadratic equation has the other solution, which makes this problem unsolvable, bleh.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:14:33 pm by Sergarr »
._.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 26, 2013, 01:28:24 pm »

Okay, I'll think about it. Although the uncertainty in determining a(n), I believe, is not intended, because then the problem doesn't make sense. I've got an equation a(n+1)=2^n+2a(n) which results in limit being 1, but now I see that the quadratic equation has the other solution, which makes this problem unsolvable, bleh.
Even with your recursion, the limit would be 1/2, not 1.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 26, 2013, 01:55:30 pm »

Actually, that limit can be anywhere between -1/2 and 1/2, or even not exist.
Proof: Let bn be an/2n for all n. The given equality is then equivalent to |bn+1-bn|=1/2. The absolute sign is very important here and shows that the problem has multiple (an) solutions.

Therefore, for any series (cn) with elements in {-1/2, 1/2} (but c1 = +1/2), the sequence 2nsigma(1,n,ck) is a valid sequence of (an), for which an/(n*2n) converges to -1/2 + the limit percentage of positive ck, which is obviously variable, and may not even exist.

Example 1: Let 0 <= p <= 1. Then cn := 0.5*(-1)floor(n*p)-floor((n-1)*p) generates a sequence (an) for which lim(an/(n*2n)) = 1/2 - p.

Example 2: Let p > 1. Then cn := 0.5*(-1)floor(logpn) generates a sequence (an) for which the value of an/(n*2n) fluctuates between -(p-1)/2(p+1) and +(p-1)/2(p+1), so the limit doesn't exist.

Note that 8anan+1 + 4n can never be negative, so once |an/2^n| > [some threshold], an will either consistently increase (making the final limit 1/2) or consistently decrease (making the final limit -1/2).  If that never happens, then the final limit will be 0.

EDIT: No wait, that's wrong.  an can't change signs past that threshold, but it can still decrease, so it can drop below that threshold and change signs later.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:18:36 pm by Brilliand »
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 26, 2013, 01:59:07 pm »

Has anybody noticed that that original recursive equation as stated is not connected to the given value of a1 at all?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 26, 2013, 02:10:36 pm »

Has anybody noticed that that original recursive equation as stated is not connected to the given value of a1 at all?

Yeah, but it doesn't affect the limit in the long run, so...

EDIT: Just tried applying the equation to a1, and a2 can be 0 or 4, a3 can be -4, 4 or 8...

The (simpler form of the) general formula is an=bn*2^(n-1) where |bn-bn-1|=1, in case anyone's wondering.  Divide an by 2^(n-1) to get the real position of a relative to how fast it moves.  With a2 disconnected from a1 as in the original formulation, bn doesn't have to be a whole number or within any particular range (but it will approach the range -1<bn/n<1 in the limit).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:30:29 pm by Brilliand »
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 26, 2013, 02:53:05 pm »

-snip-
*Using the corrected choice 2*
Since I had time to kill, an answer that doesn't rely on using a graph or calculator:

Spoiler: Dirty work, P1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dirty work, P2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dirty work, P3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Choice 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Choice 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Choice 2 (click to show/hide)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 26, 2013, 06:48:04 pm »

"W(z) is the Lambert W function"

...what is the Lambert W function?
._.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 26, 2013, 07:19:46 pm »

Oh yeah, something I've been wondering about.

Is the sequence 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, etc. something that can be written in closed form?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 26, 2013, 07:56:35 pm »

The problem is more to define "closed form" than to answer the question. Floor of something around sqrt(2n) should do, but I don't feel motivated to find the exact one (which exists).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 26, 2013, 08:12:07 pm »

Is there a formula where I pop in n and it pops out the term I want.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1034 on: June 26, 2013, 08:29:05 pm »

I think I remember seeing an iterative form of that equation... ifyes, it can have an equation yhat pops out a number when inputted with a number :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 173