Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf is swept away while operating pump...  (Read 446 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Dwarf is swept away while operating pump...
« on: March 13, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

I lost one of my dwarves when I set him to operate a screw pump, and he pumped so much water that he washed himself away and drowned in the channel!  Pump operators really shouldn't be able to pump this much water (especially at dabbling!).  I mean, not only did he wash himself away, but he did it in a place with no barriers to prevent the pumped water from simply spreading out into a big shallow pool.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf is swept away while operating pump...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

...and why did you make it so that water could flow back to where the opperator was standing?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

I didn't really think it was necessary to isolate the operator since the pump was pumping out of a channel in the middle of a wide open field... at the top of a hill!  The idea that you could pump enough water to drown yourself in those circumstances is really quite ridiculous.  Also, even if you COULD conceivably pump that much water, you would probably try to find some way to tether yourself so that you DON'T get swept away.

Bottom line is that hand operated pumps pump WAAAY to much water.

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Ha I'd rather take safety precautions and get more water pumped  ;)  Slowing it down by 50% would be OK I guess.