Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dead Rising 2  (Read 10570 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dead Rising 2
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:45:05 am »

If it is as good on the pc as it is on the PS3 then I strongly recommend it. Loving it right now! Especially loving the leveling and weapon creation systems.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:48:32 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Rising 2
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:14:08 am »

I did the payed demo at a friends place, pretty decent.  Renting it.  May or may not upgrade to bought.  Really depends on how much I like the co-op.

Else, L4D has all my zombie needs fulfilled.  Especially with the Sacrifice coming soon...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:14:49 am »

Haven't tried co-op but I expect it to be rather fun, unlike single player which i found rather bland and tired of within an hour.
It might not be fair to base my opinion on just the start but it's the games fault that it didn't keep me interested. I enjoyed the first game but stopped playing because of the time pressure, that I couldn't do what I wanted because I would be too late for something else.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:20:49 am »

Is it anything like the 1st one? You know how the first one was like. Kill zombies, OOH! A LAWNMOWER!, hey look! it's a person! *Survivor dies 3 seconds later*.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:25:05 am »

I've tried the "full demo" and intend to buy it. There's just one critically bad issue about the PC version - no real key mapping. The only way you can see what the controls are or change them is to look in a txt file among the data files. I've seen ports where the key mapping was handled via some horrible looking front-end, but this just goes beyond that.

It's pretty fun, though. I don't really get the issues other people have with the timer. It tends to give me things to do and purposes to utilize the zany combo weapons.

The boss battles seem shockingly unfair, though. You don't even start off with the dodge roll ability unlocked, the game pretty much expects you to fail on your first playthrough and go back to the beginning of the story with your combo cards and stats. Only problem here is that the zombrex price remains as before and only rises.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 11:35:03 am »

The boss battles seem shockingly unfair, though. You don't even start off with the dodge roll ability unlocked, the game pretty much expects you to fail on your first playthrough and go back to the beginning of the story with your combo cards and stats. Only problem here is that the zombrex price remains as before and only rises.

That's exactly how the first one was, you were expected to die a few times before you could do anything. Though this one is much more newbie friendly. You can beat most of the psychos with the right weapons and enough time. (Gems + flashlight is probobly most usefull for psychos in the first playthrough).

Played through and got the S ending, started again last night. Its probobly one of my top games of the year so far, really been enjoying it. Though the 360 version not having system link is an expected kick in the teeth. Who could possibly want to play a coop game without paying for xbox live?! Obviously noone according to game devs  ::)

It's also kinda annoying that when you beat the game you don't unlock survivor mode or anything like that, which you did in the first one. If you start again you keep all your levels and money, but none of the key items, so you're kinda forced to play through certain story missions to get full access to the map. Other than that though it's seriously awesome.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:36:46 am »

I've tried the "full demo" and intend to buy it. There's just one critically bad issue about the PC version - no real key mapping. The only way you can see what the controls are or change them is to look in a txt file among the data files. I've seen ports where the key mapping was handled via some horrible looking front-end, but this just goes beyond that.

It's pretty fun, though. I don't really get the issues other people have with the timer. It tends to give me things to do and purposes to utilize the zany combo weapons.

Wait...  Lets be clear here. Zombrex costs more after each use and the price carries over to new games?
I'm gonna meta-game the tar out of that if it is. 
And then I'll probably end up just quitting over it as I label the save file, therefore the game, unplayable.

And the timer comment... how does it give you more things to do... ?  How does it give you purpose to utilize combo weapon?
I am confused.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:40:53 am »

I'm fairly sure zombrex price doesn't carry over to new games? In one playthrough the price will rise each time (25->50->75 etc) but you don't need to buy any zombrex at all. You can get it from survivors or find it around if you look hard enough. I had enough of my first playthrough to give it to everyone that wanted it. Granted I bought it twice, but I didn't explore at all since I was focused on survivors.

Also everything the game asks you to do can be completely ignored. You dont even have to give your daughter zombrex if you CBA with it.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 11:43:15 am »

I don't really get the issues other people have with the timer. It tends to give me things to do and purposes to utilize the zany combo weapons.

I'm the kind of guy that do as much as I can in one game because i do not want to play another playthrough and keep repeating stuff.

And what Zangi said: how does it give you more things to do... ?  How does it give you purpose to utilize combo weapon?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 11:48:13 am »

If you play dead rising with the mentality of "i have to do everything" you'll spend much of your time running from one place to the next. DR2 is much more forgiving about this, but you still cant do everything in your first playthrough.

I'd definatly suggest for your first playthough abandoning and ignoring all the missions, and just exploring the map, finding cool stuff and combos, and leveling up your guy.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 11:57:33 am »

And the timer comment... how does it give you more things to do... ?  How does it give you purpose to utilize combo weapon?
I am confused.
Huh, guess that was a bit poorly worded.

I don't find simply chopping hordes of zombies for no reason entertaining. It feels like grinding, and so does running after things like combo cards as if I was looking for achievement points. Doing these things while trying to complete some constantly emerging goals, however, I find entertaining for some reason.

I just like to have some greater purpose behind what I'm doing. Which is kind of why I don't continue to play sandbox games after the main storyline is over, regardless of the side activities. It just feels pointless. Yet replaying the same storyline doesn't. Personal preference, I guess. If any of that makes sense.

I'm fairly sure zombrex price doesn't carry over to new games? In one playthrough the price will rise each time (25->50->75 etc) but you don't need to buy any zombrex at all. You can get it from survivors or find it around if you look hard enough. I had enough of my first playthrough to give it to everyone that wanted it. Granted I bought it twice, but I didn't explore at all since I was focused on survivors.

Also everything the game asks you to do can be completely ignored. You dont even have to give your daughter zombrex if you CBA with it.
It did raise for me. Decided to give up and try from the start after a failed case-related boss battle and whoop - 50k for zombrex the first time I enter a shop. I'm guessing the game expects you to find faster ways of making money as well as places where you can find free zombrex as you level up.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:08:00 pm by Virtz »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 12:05:22 pm »

@Virtz: Ah, I see.  A goal other then surviving and keeping the status.

@fenrif: Thanks for clarifying the Zombrex thing.  Downgraded to not an issue.

Yea, DR1's very limited time thing irked me... compounded by the crazies in the courtyard...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 12:08:28 pm »

Biggest improvement over DR1: no Otis.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 12:38:25 pm »

That's a games for windows live 'feature'.

Been playing it, seems somewhat fun, but I'm sure it will feel really short with all the time limits.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 12:43:10 pm »

The word around is that it will take you 8-10 hours for the first playthrough and most people seem to play through more than once. Definitely worth $39.99 on pc to me but maybe not the $60 for consoles if you only play through once.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7