Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Dead Rising 2  (Read 10558 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Rising 2
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 02:38:56 am »

Well, if anyone else has a PC, my gamertag is Chaoticag, and my steam name is [DFC]Chaoticag.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2010, 06:07:09 am »

Defiler is the way to go with

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 06:08:06 am »

Defiler is the way to go with

I have already killed them luckily. Painkillers and Quicksteps are what you'll need.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 09:16:49 am »

There's a drinks magazine around. Though I haven't found it yet. It's supposed to not make you sick when you've drunk too much. It also doubles the effect time of special drinks.

I think it would work great with the unlimited painkillers and possibly beer hats.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 11:29:21 am »

The magazine you speak of is
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 12:41:57 pm »

It's interesting that the reviews I'm seeing in this thread are mostly positive. I'd heard mostly negative things about DR2 so far, so that's a bit of a relief.

(For reference, I'd heard a lot about there being way too many loading screens that took way too long to load, graphics looking not that great, weapons breaking leading you to almost not even bother with the neat weapons because they'd be gone soon, and the addition of time/keeping track of it seemed to be really polarizing with people either liking or hating it.)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 12:47:06 pm »

Well the game is fun, though my major complaint about the game is that its story feels weaker somehow.

Or atleast the psychopaths. Dead Rising I looked forward to fighting the psychopaths with their speaches and meaning. I feel that it has been lost and only a few psychopaths I feel really held up to the same level that even the basic Dead Rising psychopaths had.

The only other problem is that guns have been weakened severely. Maybe I havn't been going for enough headshots (in Dead Rising shots that didn't hit the head were usually wasted shots) but dang can those psychos take some punishment.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2010, 12:48:58 pm »

way too many loading screens that took way too long to load
Completely false. You only get them between areas, and they load in less than 10 seconds for me.
graphics looking not that great,
Unfortunately, true. They look mediocre even by 2008 standarts.
weapons breaking leading you to almost not even bother with the neat weapons because they'd be gone soon
TOO true
and the addition of time/keeping track of it seemed to be really polarizing with people either liking or hating it
Ehh, it sometimes gets annoying, but mostly its not that restricting. Certainly never had problems with it.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2010, 12:52:52 pm »

Kinda gay how you fail the entire story if you miss one mission
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »

way too many loading screens that took way too long to load
Completely false. You only get them between areas, and they load in less than 10 seconds for me.

I think the people I heard from were playing on PS3 and I hear load times are the worst on PS3 and much better on PC, so could that be part of it?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2010, 01:38:21 pm »

i play on ps3 and my load times are pretty quick. weird.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 01:39:08 pm »

I play on the Xbox360 (ugh) and the loadtimes are quick for me as well.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2010, 01:56:35 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2010, 02:37:58 pm »

Virtz, not funny.

Anyway, while the load times can get on my nerves, they aren't a game killer. The graphics could be better, but graphics don't make a game. If your cake contains bacon grease and sour gummi bears, all the pretty frosting in the world won't help you. Lucky for us, Dead Rising 2's cake is excellent, even if Blue Castle failed to hire a good frosting expert.

Psychopaths are difficult as all hell, but I like that. Too many games either try to be baby-easy (far too many to name), or go too far in averting said ease and becoming difficult to a level that is simply not fun (Demon's Souls would be a good example). Both Dead Rising games get the balance right, willing to be both fun and able to kick your ass if not prepared.

Now, the combo weapons do break too soon, but I think there are books in the game to avert that. The time system was really challanging on my first play-through (but I like that sort of thing), however, it was no problem on the second when Chuck was leveled up. You could very well just ignore the time system on your first runthrough and get powerful if it is so game-killing for you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2010, 02:53:01 pm »

The most a magazine will do is increase the lifespan of a weapon by 3 times, which merely lessens the uselessness of many of the combo weapons marginally. The fragility of Laser Swords and Broadswords in particular. They break incredibly fast despite not even being the most useful weapons in the game.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7