Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm in a pond. How the hell do I get out?  (Read 1681 times)

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm in a pond. How the hell do I get out?
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:36:03 am »

So this has happened to me like 3 times already. I fight something, dodge away and end up in a pond (especially if ambush catches me near to one), I can't get out, start drowning and my uber-leet-hax warrior gets killed.

I have no idea if it's possible to get out of a situation like this, I tried to use forced move (alt + direction key) but it doesn't work near the walls of the pond. maybe it's caused by the fact that when I jump into a pond I start drowning?

Any way to get out of this?
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in a pond. How the hell do I get out?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:44:21 am »

You need some swimming skill to either not drown or climb out of a pool.

If you don't have any, that leaves drowning.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:25:54 am »

If you've defeated whatever knocked you in there (or if you climbed in intentionally),  you might be able use the Travel option to leave the area (depending on game version and stuff)...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:28:20 pm »

You need to be at least a novice swimmer to climb out of a pool of water and at least an adequate one to avoid drowning in level 7 water, so you're best to start as at least an adequate swimmer.

Otherwise, the only way to train swimming without risk of drowning is to find water between levels 4 and 6, and those are really rare.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:07:41 pm »

And you have to be a Competent swimmer to survive falling into water. I've found that the best way to train swimming, short of starting with the skill, is to just find a lake and walk in and out of it for a while (lakes have ramps). Careful not to drown though.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »

Hmmm... I had novice swimming :P. I thought it will allow me to survive in 7/7 water. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the answers
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

ziffs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:30:08 pm »

Go to the coast, find shore. Go into the water and you will start drowning. Take a few steps out and then back onto land and your swim skill will go up. The higher it gets the longer you can stay out there. I trained my adventurer from no swim skills to almost legendary by jumping in off an outcropping then walking to shore. Then I swam to the main continent of my world and killed everyone :D

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 11:37:33 am »

Eventually you can swim entire oceans if you pack enough fresh water and food.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 01:44:10 pm »

Eventually you can swim entire oceans if you pack enough fresh water and food.

Screw cramps.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 01:47:13 pm »

You can sleep in waves of an ocean to train swimming.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 10:21:23 pm »

Go to the coast, find shore. Go into the water and you will start drowning. Take a few steps out and then back onto land and your swim skill will go up. The higher it gets the longer you can stay out there. I trained my adventurer from no swim skills to almost legendary by jumping in off an outcropping then walking to shore. Then I swam to the main continent of my world and killed everyone :D
That's pretty funny  :)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις