Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soil  (Read 466 times)

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soil
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:17:05 am »

Is there anyway in the advanced world generation options to limit the thickness of soil. Don't get me wrong I love having a spot for sand on my map but I hate having 4 layers of the stuff.

I know if I locate really close to a mountain I can avoid all the layers of soil but I like to locate near streams and the civs tend to populate all the good spots at the base of the mountain.

Any thoughts?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soil
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:21:26 pm »

If you take out ALL soil, there will be none.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Soil
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:28:30 pm »

Why hate 4 layers?  With 100+ layers of rock below, why does it matter?

The region layer generation appears to be deeply buried in the code, not controlled in any way by world gen factors.

Tell you what, I'm working on region file reverse engineering and could use a third party control case for my experiment.
Find a world you like, find the embark site you want, post the world gen parameters and a screenshot showing specifically where you want to embark.  May be able to change a layer's material.  May also be able to move cities/fortresses/caves if a civ (or hydra) took the "good spot" you want.  Not sure about sprawl/farms.

No promises, one time offer only, I only need one test case from an outside source to test my method.