Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners dig down but can't find path out  (Read 578 times)

Lactose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miners dig down but can't find path out
« on: November 02, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »

I've Dug down about 10 levels now and my miners can't seem to walk up the ramps at the bottom now.  They are slowly starving and whatnot.  Is there some pathing error that I don't know about.  I've built even more ramps down there for them to get out and that doesn't help.  Even built staircases.  

I have no doors or anything blocking them in.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Miners dig down but can't find path out
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

Try the staircases again.

Build an 'up' staircase on their current level, and 'up/down' staircases on each level up from there.  Make sure, of course, that they are directly on top of each other.

And by 'build' I mean 'mine into a convenient wall' in case that wasn't clear--actually building stairs from scrap stone is inconvenient.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lactose:
<STRONG>I've Dug down about 10 levels now and my miners can't seem to walk up the ramps at the bottom now.  They are slowly starving and whatnot.  Is there some pathing error that I don't know about.  I've built even more ramps down there for them to get out and that doesn't help.  Even built staircases.  

I have no doors or anything blocking them in.</STRONG>

You can only go up or down a ramp from a certain direction, hence, they are kinda bad for doing winding paths and the like, and they can even screw up back to back to one another.

Digging stairs out is the best for digging down.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Lord_Phoenix ]

bremac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »

I have the same problem too - after some migrants arrived in my second spring, I noticed my first pathfinding spam, and major lag which disappeared after I saved and restarted. Accompanying this was was the fact that the migrants stayed at the bottom of the upward slopes which my dwarves had previously scaled with ease, my miners became stuck on the kitchen basement that they had been expanding, and other dwarves are now unable to descend the ramps to eat nor drink.
I can post a save up somewhere if necessary, as I'm unable to play my current game any further in it's current state in any case.

EDIT: This was with .33a vanilla, of course.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: bremac ]

Lactose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

Finally just recruited them into the military and stationed them up a few levels.  They walked right up the ramps.  yay!

I had the same pathfinding spam that the previous poster talked about before my miners got stuck.

UltimaGecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 02:04:00 am »

I think this happens if you build a ramp up from the level below, and it becomes the only path up.

I had a downward stair and an unbuilt upward stair, and since both of the miners that got trapped on the lower level didn't feel like climbing the ramp, the only way I could get them out was to dig a brand new path outside through the cliff (and it's a good think I started on a cliff, because they didn't seem to want to build any ramps or stairs (including the pre-designated up-stairs they didn't finish).

I think this can be avoided by having your miners build stairways before you consider putting a ramp in.

(the N and NW parts at the top of my ramp were clear, but they still didn't want to go up)

bremac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by UltimaGecko:
<STRONG>I think this happens if you build a ramp up from the level below, and it becomes the only path up.</STRONG>

As I said before, it will also happen to natural slopes outside your fortress. I can't even think of a possible reason why this would happen though, outside of an overflow leading to memory corruption.

bremac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

Archive of the entire data/save directory which seems to exhibit the 'no travel between logical z layers bug': http://macdonellba.googlepages.com/df.zip

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: bremac ]

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 10:08:00 pm »

I was gonna post about this bug myself. But then read above where the slopes were only meant to work from two directions, north and south. Now that I see that, the two cases I had both involved east-west ramps. But in any case, I have now switched to just using stairs instead. I havent had any pathing problems with stairs yet. (Just one nutcase, who went to pick up a stone 5 steps from the stair he was planning to build, but who then walked all the way back thru the fort, and around to the outside, in order to build the stairs from underneath instead of from the top. Dwarves!)
ho watches those that watch us???