Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dis-Interest in Talking, and Problems with Giant Douchebags.  (Read 3595 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dis-Interest in Talking, and Problems with Giant Douchebags.
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 04:44:22 pm »

Meds are no replacement for counselling.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 04:45:02 pm »

Everybody wants something. Aint gonna please em all, thats for sure.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 04:46:45 pm »

I never said it was. I was referring to confronting your problems instead of burying it, in other words, talk to someone about it.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 04:51:15 pm »

I never said it was. I was referring to confronting your problems instead of burying it, in other words, talk to someone about it.

In a way, isnt that sort of what this thread is?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 04:59:06 pm »

Of course not. Medications have their place and role, which is to treat the root causes of the disorder. They don't replace counseling. But in any remotedly serious depression the pillar of the treatment is medication, and counseling plays an auxiliary role.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 05:16:18 pm »

Okay! Just to clear this up, I went to the therapist about 2 years before I went on the antidepressants? Thinking about it now, I'm fairly sure it started in 6th and I stopped seeing her as a therapist near the end of 7th. I mean, I could go to her when I feel like it, but I've gradually gotten to the point where I don't have to go, emotionally speaking-Not just because I didn't want to(And I sort of did. It let me get out of class early, and on certain days I had a lot that was going on with me so I was woohoo when it was therapy day).

Anyway, I hunted around in my memory and figured out that I did best on 75 mg. We went back to that. and I saw some return in social activity today. I like it, so we'll keep it there unless we need to go up.

As far as the jerk goes, I confronted him about it on the way to the locker room. I asked him, "Why have you been trying to start shit lately?" and he responded something like, "You started it, you got all up in my face when me and Rigo were talking!" and I didn't remember anything, he didn't insult me or likewise so I didn't start a fight or anything.

On that note, I don't know if he just stopped because I confronted him about it or something, or just because we didn't see eachother, I avoided him when I could, of course but not to the point where I went out of my way to.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 05:20:58 pm »

Maybe it is a side effect of your medicine and you're thinking too much of it with football practice.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 05:24:50 pm »

Yeah, if this is something that can be stopped by just not talking to him, then do that.

Once you start being able to classify "stuff you can deal with quickly", "stuff you need a good way to deal with", and "stuff that already happened so there's *nothing to deal with*", things get easier. Pour the antidepressants down the toilet, or don't; if you've got the nuts you can just leave off them for a few days just to see what happens. But if you can start saying "I'm extremely chemically imbalanced and I'm proud of it", the need tends to go away. If someone's actually classifying "lack of social activity" as a disease that needs to be treated, this person is known as a quack and there are a lot of them out there.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 05:28:02 pm »

Uh, did you even correctly read the OP? The reason is because of some kind of family issues and that his dad had died, nothing about socialization.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2010, 05:32:40 pm »

But if you can start saying "I'm extremely chemically imbalanced and I'm proud of it", the need tends to go away.

I have yet to meet anyone who is proud of their major depression.

I'd like some support for the end of that sentence, as well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 05:41:38 pm »

It's a feedback loop. It's easy to be depressed about depression, leading to more... it piles up. If you can say "I'm depressed and I don't give a damn about it", you break the loop. Stop caring. Drop a dance pad on the old man's grave and play a few rounds of DDR. Every time you catch yourself moping alone, do push-ups.

You can either suffer it, suppress it chemically, or rip your way out of it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 05:44:39 pm »

It's a feedback loop. It's easy to be depressed about depression, leading to more... it piles up. If you can say "I'm depressed and I don't give a damn about it", you break the loop. Stop caring. Drop a dance pad on the old man's grave and play a few rounds of DDR. Every time you catch yourself moping alone, do push-ups.

You can either suffer it, suppress it chemically, or rip your way out of it.

Actually, doing this is what gave me moodswings so bad that 8 separate people independently thought I was bipolar.

Well, anyway.  It's good advice for some people, to be sure, but after a certain point people really need to be able to say "I am depressed, it is horrible, and I am going to stop trying to pretend that I can fix it by trying to cover it up."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »

Look, the only REAL thing you can do about this Guy your having problems with (or at least this is how we do it where i'm from) is to either talk him out of it and try to find out why hes being a jackass (and it sounds like you've done that) or get a mate or 3 with you and punch him down to the floor ONCE (don't bring your friends in unless you have to...). Because honestly, if hes getting right up to your face, I think it might be past the point of trying to talk it out. Not saying this is the best idea and due to the fact your in a Football team with him, it might spark problems with other team members and/or get you dropped but if he refuses to stop, thats really the only way you can do it (that is, do it and not look like a "wimp" as some guy continues to push you around). Hope you don't need to do this rubbish but it sounds like your at that point. Hopefully it will end its self but I doubt it from what i've read.  :-\

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 05:46:10 pm »

x2yzh9, just keep in mind that being dependent on a chemical to keep you from breaking down isn't a good situation. If somthing happens that disrupts your life and leaves you unable to access medication, you won't be in a good spot. Try to ease off the dosage, see if your mind can take over keeping emotional stability.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »

x2yzh9, just keep in mind that being dependent on a chemical to keep you from breaking down isn't a good situation. If somthing happens that disrupts your life and leaves you unable to access medication, you won't be in a good spot. Try to ease off the dosage, see if your mind can take over keeping emotional stability.

Yea, it was a bit strange that the baby step was to actually increase the dosage instead of lowerthe dosage when it sounded like he was getting over it.

Seriously though, we don't know his medical history, so we can't judge by what we know here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4