Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nobles  (Read 1994 times)

BadSyntax

• Bay Watcher
  • The root of all null pointer exceptions...
    • View Profile
Nobles
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:27:56 pm »

Current nobles that need to be verified / proven to be acquirable:
Dungeon Master
Duke
Tax Collector
Hammerer
Count
General ( if you can even get one )

Baron/Baroness:
A year after you reach the requirements; do not let the meeting with the liaison start until after every merchant has left.
Count/Countess:
Same as baron
DM:
comes with baron (needs to be verified)
King/Queen:
Go overboard with the roads and offerings[verify]

And also, a big thanks to all who help get this down pat. After this is all verified and whatnot Ill update the wiki with the information.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:10:09 am by BadSyntax »
Dasleah>   Snappleseed: if they threw up that's one hell of an orgasm

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:09:41 pm »

Supposedly it's a bug where the baron requirement to have a caravan leave with 100k created wealth, 15k exported wealth, and 20 population actually counts the caravan that the liaison arrives with, instead of the previous year. The suggested solution is to lock your mayor in his room when the caravan shows up, and let him meet with the liaison after the traders have left the map.

This doesn't work for me, so... good luck.

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:19:16 pm »

You have to prevent the meeting with the liaison from starting until after the entire caravan has left the map - if you so much as get the introduction while even a single merchant is on the map, the liaison will forget to suggest appointing a baron.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »

I suppose that's what happened. Next time I'll just wall McMayor in with a food stockpile for a month or two.

I usually try to stay quiet about things like this... but was it really so important to carpet the world with unembarkable farmland when things like this and wagons and soil farm non-irrigation (things that worked fine before) have been broken for how long now?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

BadSyntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:22:52 pm »

That actually makes sense.... But the DM.... has anyone got him?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 09:32:55 pm »

I believe the Dungeon Master is part of a Baron's consort.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:07:00 pm »

I believe the Dungeon Master is part of a Baron's consort.
In theory he's supposed to arrive in an immigrant wave, like he did in previous versions. In practice I've never gotten one, and that's par for the course.

Nick

BadSyntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:21:47 pm »

has anyone validated this?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:44:44 pm »

Not really.

But it just worked for me. Accidentally -- I left my expedition leader alone and he just didn't meet with the liaison until all the merchants were gone.

For the record it's year 9, and I've met the requirements for a Barony since year 1 or so.

Nick

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 02:55:44 am »

I went back and set up food/booze stockpiles in the mayor's quarters. At the end of mid autumn, I assigned him to a burrow in his bedroom, and locked the door. He stayed there until mid-winter, when the last member of the caravan shuffled off the map. As soon as I unlocked the door, the liaison gave me the screen to pick a Baron. So yeah, it works.

Gentle Manne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 03:58:59 am »

It seems to be bugged so immigrant nobles don't arrive. Since the baron is appointed from within, the nobles that are supposed to come with him don't arrive. Does this mean the king will never arrive as well?

Supposedly it's a bug where the baron requirement to have a caravan leave with 100k created wealth, 15k exported wealth, and 20 population actually counts the caravan that the liaison arrives with, instead of the previous year. The suggested solution is to lock your mayor in his room when the caravan shows up, and let him meet with the liaison after the traders have left the map.

That's how it's supposed to work. The bug is that the caravan can come year after year and the liaison will forget as long as the merchants are still there.

It's not hard to get the mayor to delay the meeting, though. "Conduct Meeting" is a very low-priority job. My mayor is in the military, and I have a hard time getting her to start meetings because she'd much rather stand around with her squad and pretend to train. Probably the easiest thing to do with a civilian mayor is make him also the broker and have him trade at the depot. Then you can be sure he's busy while the merchants are there.

BadSyntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 07:19:53 pm »

Not really.

But it just worked for me. Accidentally -- I left my expedition leader alone and he just didn't meet with the liaison until all the merchants were gone.

For the record it's year 9, and I've met the requirements for a Barony since year 1 or so.

Nick
You got a baron and a DM?

swampwater

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the working day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 11:23:51 pm »

in my current game I had met all requirements for a baron by year 3, yet the liason said nothing. undaunted, i pushed ahead exporting as much wealth as possible, a nice wide gold road leading to my main gate, etc... so in year 4, a first for me: the king has arrived! I am now the mountainhomes! No baron, duke, just straight to the top. I've yet to see any mention of that from anyone. now at year 9, the fort is so successful it's boring, but still no dm. i miss him and the other old nobles (tax collector, philosopher).

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 11:33:35 pm »

"so successful it's boring" implies you should be working on a mega construction.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 11:36:57 pm »

I had the traders on the map, and the liaison appointed a baron just fine.  No DM, though, but this could be because I lowered my popcap, and haven't gotten any immigrants at all since before I had the baron appointed.  Now the actual activation the baron waited until the traders and the liaison had left the map, though.
Pages: [1] 2