Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adding an ore type.  (Read 2324 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Adding an ore type.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 03:03:09 pm »

Adamantine is in the raws.

It is? Is it just recently? As in, since 31.12? I have not done any modding or anything since .12, and I though it wasn't.

Oh, it's in there, alright. There's no environment or environment_spec tags, though, just [DEEP_SPECIAL], and that's connected directly to the HFS.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 09:44:14 pm »

Could you not just add the [FUEL] tag twice?
くコ:彡

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 09:09:53 pm »

I'd say compare smelting steel since it needs one [FUEL] for the carbon content plus one [FUEL] if used in a non-magma furnace (I haven't really dug into the raws due to time, so I haven't looked myself).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »

By the way, thanks for the anthracite idea - I put it in my new mod.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 10:59:08 pm »

Wouldn't that mean that it would require effectively three coke (from the coal, and then in the second version + 1 from the [FUEL]) to produce three coke? That seems like a losing proposition to me... One coke + fuel seems doable (2 -> 3), though at that point only equivalent to lignite (which might be the intent).

Yes, that's the intent.  While in reality it's far closer to bituminous, you actually get less energy from anthracite than bituminous.  That's why bituminous is preferred in industry.

There's one other thing I wanted to change...    In real life, kimberlite is found in vertical pipes, not veins (and, actually, isn't limited by rock type but I don't want to change that).  Is there any way to make it so?  If so, I doubt it's simple or easy.

I doubt it. Unless Cotton Candy is in the raws, then you might be able to.

Cotton candy IS in the raws, but I haven't been able to get it to do it.  Well, I did, but it had a stick too.  Not sure how to fix that.

By the way, thanks for the anthracite idea - I put it in my new mod.

You're welcome.  I haven't actually found any in my own maps yet, because I haven't embarked on a map with a metamorphic yet.  But it should work.

--

On a side note, I did have something REALLY weird happen.  Hematite has become a rock layer somehow.

Of intrest may be my inorganic_stone_mineral.txt  and inorganic_stone_layer.txt

inorganic_stone_mineral.txt -- The whole thing is posted because many things are changed slightly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
inorganic_stone_layer.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 11:08:37 pm »

Hematite layers are a symptom of duplicate raw entries. Also, all sites have metamorphic stone - just dig deeper. Caverns are always metamorphic or igneous intrusive (maybe sometimes extrusive, I can't remember.)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 11:17:00 pm »

Hematite layers are a symptom of duplicate raw entries. Also, all sites have metamorphic stone - just dig deeper. Caverns are always metamorphic or igneous intrusive (maybe sometimes extrusive, I can't remember.)

I did, they were exclusively igneous, three seperate times.  I'll get it to work this time by just embarking on something with say, marble or slate.

And I didn't see a duplicate?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 11:27:03 pm »

The bloodstone is the duplicate. Unless you changed/deleted the gem?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 12:06:18 am »

The bloodstone is the duplicate. Unless you changed/deleted the gem?

I thought I deleted the gem.  I'll make sure.

I'll have to regen my world won't I then?   Which is fine, considering everything is pre-set, but I don't wanna sit here for 5 mins again if I can avoid it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 12:07:55 am »

Turning it into coke (for making steel) would require 2 fuel to produce 3, creating a net gain of 1.  This is accurate for the actual stone, for while it has a higher carbon content than bituminous coal, it's much much harder to ignite.

Refining coal into coke doesn't require igniting it; in fact, that would ruin the purpose, wouldn't it? It's just destructive distillation.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 12:37:18 am »

Turning it into coke (for making steel) would require 2 fuel to produce 3, creating a net gain of 1.  This is accurate for the actual stone, for while it has a higher carbon content than bituminous coal, it's much much harder to ignite.

Refining coal into coke doesn't require igniting it; in fact, that would ruin the purpose, wouldn't it? It's just destructive distillation.

Yes, that's true, but you distill it by heating it in an oxygen-free environment, meaning you have to use something as fuel, unless you've got a magma forge - but I can't set it to only use one with a magma forge, can I?

However, I had realized this myself, and this is what I have now:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ANTHRACITE_COAL_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from anthracite coal]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:2:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COAL_ANTHRACITE]
[PRODUCT:100:5:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]
This gives it a better ratio than Bituminous, but not much higher.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 02:18:17 am »

Yes, that's true, but you distill it by heating it in an oxygen-free environment, meaning you have to use something as fuel, unless you've got a magma forge - but I can't set it to only use one with a magma forge, can I?

Yes, but you're not burning it. How difficult anthracite is to ignite isn't necessarily related to how difficult it is to refine, in terms of temperature or anything else. Maybe it is harder to refine (I don't honestly know one way or the other), but it being hard to set on fire isn't really evidence of that, because they're two different processes.

[edit]
Come to think of it, I'm not sure you really need to coke anthracite in order to use it as fuel; I'm pretty sure that's not done in the real world.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:20:57 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lamey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 04:08:34 pm »

But it is possible to define something as a fuel in the raws, or is that hard-coded?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »

As things stand, you have to go through some process to change lumps of coal into bars of coke. I would suggest simply creating a reactuion for an existing workshop so that one lump of anthractite produces one and a half bars of coke with a hammer and the mining labour.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 [2]