Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Bay12 Book Club  (Read 13971 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Book Club
« Reply #180 on: November 04, 2010, 05:28:40 pm »

And could you elaborate what you mean by plot-driven, Vector?
Because really can't agree with that.

What I mean, really, is that I read the book for plot and story, not for humor.

I was just a tad confused, as it sounded if it was too plot-driven for you.
I took the "What I minded" as a negative evaluation, however my online dictonary proved me wrong.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 04, 2010, 05:30:00 pm »

I was just a tad confused, as it sounded if it was too plot-driven for you.
I took the "What I minded" as a negative evaluation, however my online dictonary proved me wrong.

Ah: It was plot-driven.  I like plot-driven much, much better than humor-driven.  I don't like the fact that the plot driving the story was largely borrowed from my favorite author.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2010, 05:35:21 pm »

You all should read the The Culture books.

Its like if a Star Trek like post scarcity civilization was handled by a Sci Fi writer instead of a TV studio.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2010, 05:55:02 pm »

Well, if you're going to read those, you might as well go for Banks' non-sf as well, starting with the Wasp Factory. It is awesome.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »

Maybe it's just that he has a knack for making you both laugh and think at the same time... two skills I value highly. I'd like to think we are kindred spirits, he and I.
Go to him, Solifuge.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2010, 06:08:07 pm »

How long did that take you to make?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2010, 06:22:03 pm »

Oh, 15 minutes or so.

No effort is too much for my dear Terry, though. <3

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2010, 06:54:33 am »

Stephen King was once a great author, but is now a hopelessly weak man-whore who lost every ounce of his talent halfway through Wizard and Glass and shat the last three books of Dark Tower out like a constipated man cramming down laxatives. (What, me bitter?)

Eh, the only Dark Tower book that was really weak was Song of Sussanah, and that wasn't too bad. Wolves of the Calla was really good, especially if you were a fan of 'Salem's Lot. The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower was pretty rushed because he was afraid of pulling a Chaucer, but still not too bad. His non-Tower fiction hasn't suffered at all.

I find it amusing. I can get nearly any book I want from work. If I feel like the classics, I can get a shovel of Virgil, Sophocles, or Homer from the junk bin. If I want something modern, there's King and Rowling and Turtledove. What do I find myself reading?

The S.D. Perry Resident Evil novelizations. Even I don't get it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2010, 02:23:43 pm »

I've found my new signature in that brilliant book.
I wonder if it was meant as a portal reference and if it is, where he got that idea from...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2010, 04:04:11 pm »

I finished "Night Watch" some days ago and now I have no clue on what to read next.
Probably something in english...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2010, 06:17:15 pm »

The Culture books.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2010, 11:31:19 pm »

I have a strange request for you.

I want recommendations for Ghostapo//Stupid Jetpack Hitler novels (featuring either or both argumental lines). Bonus points if the nazis have a time machine.

I also want them NOT to be written by Dean Koontz, whom I intensely dislike.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2010, 11:41:37 pm »

Would WW1 with Allies having genetic abominations and Axis having giant mecha be good?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2010, 12:03:21 am »

well, the the axis didn't exist in WW1... but ok, I'll bite.

... also I was aiming more for the ghostapo part.... :(
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:06:23 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2010, 12:11:52 am »

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14