Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Bay12 Book Club  (Read 13970 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Book Club
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2010, 12:52:31 pm »

Good horror is hard to find.

I'm more of a Clive Barker fan than King, although he has mostly fantasy-crossover-like stories, instead of horror. I liked Koontz, too, but haven't read anything from him since I was 12, so that might not be a good measurement.

Any other good recommendations? (I will check if our library has your tip, glyph, thanks)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2010, 04:18:07 pm »

I hate Koontz. I'm too durnk to ellabrate
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2010, 04:20:36 pm »

I hate Koontz. I'm too durnk to ellabrate
Your argument is infallible, I bow to your self-knowledge. (Pro-tip: when drunk, go to the atheists thread ;) )

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2010, 08:00:24 pm »

Good horror is hard to find.

I'm more of a Clive Barker fan than King, although he has mostly fantasy-crossover-like stories, instead of horror. I liked Koontz, too, but haven't read anything from him since I was 12, so that might not be a good measurement.

Any other good recommendations? (I will check if our library has your tip, glyph, thanks)
House of Leaves.

What do I read of Gibson's after Neuromancer?  I finished that, but I don't know what comes next.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2010, 08:01:23 pm »

Count Zero
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2010, 09:21:22 pm »

House of Leaves.
And risk encountering a Minotaur?

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2010, 12:55:05 am »

Totally just snagged copies of the entire Song of Ice and Fire series, as audio books. They've been suggested by friends for a long time, and I'm glad I'm finally getting around to them!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2010, 08:39:57 am »

I went on a William Hope Hodgson kick a few years back, after reading "The Voice in the Night" which was a pretty cool little horror short story. From 1907.

I left off halfway through "The Night Land" a couple years ago because the computer I had my place saved on died, but I was enjoying it quite a bit up until then. It's basically a fantasty (sci-fi?) horror adventure story, where it describes the main character's journey across the sunless, monster-infested "Night Lands" in a lot of detail. A lot. Describing every single meal and sleep period along the way amount of detail.

The writing style can be a bit hard to get used to though.

I kind of want to go finish it now.  :-\

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2010, 10:49:32 am »

Halfway though "Night Watch" from Terry Pratchett.
That's the only book that's left for me in the watchmen arc.

It's fascinating how he seems to excel himself with every book I read.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2010, 10:52:36 am »

Stephen King was once a great author, but is now a hopelessly weak man-whore who lost every ounce of his talent halfway through Wizard and Glass and shat the last three books of Dark Tower out like a constipated man cramming down laxatives. (What, me bitter?)

I left off halfway through "The Night Land" a couple years ago because the computer I had my place saved on died, but I was enjoying it quite a bit up until then. It's basically a fantasty (sci-fi?) horror adventure story, where it describes the main character's journey across the sunless, monster-infested "Night Lands" in a lot of detail. A lot. Describing every single meal and sleep period along the way amount of detail.

That reminds me of "Nightworld", which features a similar plot and all kind of Lovecraftianisms.

Some crazy asshole has been recommending this weird crap so I figured I'd pass it on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »

The Night Land's premise is cool, but I don't particularily like the implementation. Namely, some boring parts are too long-winded (remember the Sorrow Swamps in LOTR and how boring they were? Like that). And since the plot itself is a wussified love story, it also loses through there. But, as I said, the world descriptions themselves are cool and enthricing enough (someone should make a DF mod out of this) to merit reading it.
Stephen King was once a great author, but is now a hopelessly weak man-whore who lost every ounce of his talent halfway through Wizard and Glass and shat the last three books of Dark Tower out like a constipated man cramming down laxatives. (W hat, me bitter?)

My thoughts on the dark tower series: I liked the first one. It was abstract and psychodelic, and grimdark. From there onward it went down, methinks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:14:39 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2010, 02:36:14 pm »

Halfway though "Night Watch" from Terry Pratchett.
That's the only book that's left for me in the watchmen arc.

It's fascinating how he seems to excel himself with every book I read.

Though it's hard to pick, since there are so many facets to like about his books, but Night Watch is one of my favorites.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2010, 02:40:20 pm »

Though it's hard to pick, since there are so many facets to like about his books, but Night Watch is one of my favorites.

I used to like it best, but I can't forgive anyone who rips off Victor Hugo so whole-heartedly.  My loyalty to Hugo is greater than my loyalty to Pratchett.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2010, 02:45:08 pm »

I've actually never read Les Miserables, or any of Hugo's works, in novel form. Should I add them to the list of books to read when I'm done being frivolous?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14