Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Bay12 Book Club  (Read 13977 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Book Club
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2010, 07:48:37 am »

I've read about 90% of the non-Prachett books mentioned here. I refuse to read Prachett because everyone tells me his books are "just like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but with fantasy." I hated The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in all three forms.

The only real similarity is the type of humor used, and even then, not all of the books have them.

if you don't like that type of humor, try reading Nation, that one's a bit more serious.

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2010, 12:38:38 pm »

Well, George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series (incomplete), is great, as is T.H. White's The Once ANd Future King, for those who haven't picked it up yet, Scott Lynch's series, so far The Lies of Lock Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies (great for anyone who saw and loved The Sting, with Paul Newman), and I'm currently reading S.M. Sterling's The Peshewar Lancers, so those are some of my favorites. Oh, and Terry Pratchett is great for comedy, too.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:41:20 pm by Char13magne »
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2010, 12:51:44 pm »

My favourite King book remains The Shining (and is still the only book to date that's ever actually made me feel afraid to keep reading). In contrast, the movie was just crap. It didn't make me remotely scared, and it downgraded literally everything in the novel from 'this happened because of this back in this time and this is why it's been doing this creepy thing' to 'ooooOOOOooOoOoooo mansion is haunted weird random shit happens!!!!!'

They even changed the ending, my favourite part of the book :\ And they took out the fight with the hedge animals too. Bah.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2010, 12:57:15 pm »

That's nowhere near as horrible as what they did to The Mist when it got a movie. Mostly a fine adaption throughout, except the damned ending! The worst part is that their ending would be decent, if it was how the book actually ended. King was even apparently alright with the change, and yet it still pisses me off!

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2010, 01:49:14 pm »

Ye do know there's two movies of The Shining, don't ye?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2010, 05:25:44 pm »

i quite like the shining movie (the jack Nickleson one), the film is made by the score tho.

i havnt read the book, maybe i should give it ago.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »

The Secret Window ended up being a pretty good book-based-movie.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2010, 07:10:53 am »

As one might expect, it was based on one of King's "short" stories. (Although his "short" stories are often longer than many author's novels (and even one or two of his own), which is probably why the books he CALLS novels often make poor movies.)

On a different note, can anyone reccomend some good Stone Age or early Bronze Age fiction? I'd like something like Earth's Children, but with less sex.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2010, 08:10:10 am »

Space Odyssey: 2001?

Battlefield Earth?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2010, 08:17:10 am »

Stone age... The Epic of Gilgamesh, the Founding of Uruk, other Mesopotamian tablets.

Bronze age... The Odyssey, the Iliad, Jason and the Argonauts, Theseus and the Minotaur, The Story of Herakles, The Legend of Perseus, Pandora's Box, and so forth.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2010, 08:22:11 am »

Stone age... The Epic of Gilgamesh, the Founding of Uruk, other Mesopotamian tablets.

you are doing it wrong
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2010, 08:27:47 am »

I should have specified MODERN fiction.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2010, 08:28:05 am »

Oh? Is the Neolithic period not good enough?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2010, 09:26:51 am »

As far as horror books go, I found the premise of "Breeding Ground" pretty damn creepy.

Actually, one of the creepiest premises I've come across.

Has anyone else read it?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2010, 11:07:13 am »

I googled it and found two different novels. Which is it?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14