Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Bay12 Book Club  (Read 13967 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Book Club
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2010, 05:10:19 am »

Joining in, as I read mostly in English, although right now I'm reading Dutch books.
A science-fiction story, written in 1910, about 2010 (very cool, some things are unnervingly right, others are way off mark, such as the inevitable flying cars :) )
And I'm working my way through Simon Vestdijk, arguably one of the best writers we ever had.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2010, 06:28:58 am »

I guess what I'm asking is if the violence is as extreme as it sounds.

It is.  As for niche appeal... dunno.  I know a number of people who liked it, and it isn't really that much worse than Lord of the Flies.

You know, comparing it to Lord of the Flies is fitting.. But wrong, somehow. Personally i disliked Lord of the Flies; Little children doing such stuff? It was a bit too weird in my opinion.

@Acanthus no mention of American Gods?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2010, 06:57:47 am »

I found Ender's Game kind of lame. I began to read the sequel with the piggybacs or whatever they were called, but it was even worse...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:36 am »

That's because it's implied that everybody here has read it, and enjoyed it, and that there's really nothing else to it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2010, 07:59:34 am »

I found Ender's Game kind of lame. I began to read the sequel with the piggybacs or whatever they were called, but it was even worse...
I didn't like any of the sequels, but Ender's Shadow was pretty good.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2010, 08:20:12 am »

That's because it's implied that everybody here has read it, and enjoyed it, and that there's really nothing else to it.
never heard of it
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:25 pm »

Clockwork Orange I actually did enjoy.  It was clear a lot of thought and consideration went into writing it,

Amusingly, the author actually states with some distaste that it was "knocked off for money in three weeks" and regrets ever writing it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2010, 11:04:04 pm »

I am loving the Prince of Nothing series. It has a storyline that is far more cynical than that of ASoIaF. And really interesting elements which are altogether unusual in fantasy novels (such as space aliens, who waged a war in times past, using laser guns and biotech against the not-quite-elves' medieval technology and sorcery)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2010, 02:56:52 pm »

My psychology teacher lent me Freakonomics. My god. I think I actually understand economic theory now, and that every public perception of economics is wrong in the extreme.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2010, 04:34:35 pm »

My psychology teacher lent me Freakonomics. My god. I think I actually understand economic theory now, and that every public perception of economics is wrong in the extreme.

Thats probably one of my favorite books ever. It's absolutely brilliant how Dubner and Levitt apply economic methods to issues most people--including economists--would never consider; and their results are consistently both intriguing and very difficult to assail. :)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2010, 07:15:13 pm »

Ah. The Tommyknockers. A good book unless you've had four years of engineering school, a horrible one if you have. (Details spoilered)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've read about 90% of the non-Prachett books mentioned here. I refuse to read Prachett because everyone tells me his books are "just like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but with fantasy." I hated The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in all three forms.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2010, 07:30:08 pm »

The only Stephen King book I've actually read all the way through is Insomnia. That was actually some pretty good reading, as there were pauses in the horror, unlike 'It'.
Spoiler: What 'It' is like. (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2010, 07:38:55 pm »

How far did you GET in IT? There's large chunks of it that are just kids being kids.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2010, 07:55:19 pm »

I read the beginning, and my friend kept showing me random parts of it that he thought were 'interesting'. Most of them were sexual. I just filled in the rest with knowledge of the movie, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2010, 08:04:07 pm »

Like most King movies based on the novels, the Movie of It is pretty bad. Much of the book (not most, and there's a good deal of horror in it) is simply the cast going about their business in the fifties. There's actually very little sex in the book.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14