Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Bay12 Book Club  (Read 13957 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bay12 Book Club
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:03:08 pm »

Given the throngs of fine literary folk who frequent this forum, I thought it might be fun to start a book club.

How we're going to do this still needs to be worked out, but I figured we should get a list of books people might want to read and discuss as a group, and then decide from there how long we want to give it before we start talking.

Alternatively, we could just talk about whatever we're reading in general, without necessarily using the "group" format.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Book Club
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 04:10:41 pm »

The Culture books by Iain M. Banks.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:16:15 pm »

Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa (I know it's mostly fiction, but it's still a good story.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 04:18:53 pm »

I'm reading Cuckoo's Nest.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:38:40 pm »

woo, book club!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:52:53 pm »

I still haven't had time to finish Timequake yet, but I'm hoping to get into The Book of Negroes after that. I wasn't interested in reading the latter for a while, but I met Lawrence Hill and after talking to him I'm really excited about it.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 04:55:26 pm »

I've been reading "Das Boot" off and on, won the book in a contest on a forum I frequent, its pretty good.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:04:32 pm »

Macbeth

Not bad.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 05:06:41 pm »

We aren't very talkative about our reading material, are we...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 05:07:24 pm »

Too busy reading.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 05:08:06 pm »

Never been in a book club...don't really know what people would like to know, or what I'm even supposed to be doing in here.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 05:11:09 pm »

Never been in a book club...don't really know what people would like to know, or what I'm even supposed to be doing in here.

Ahhh, the things my popularity does...

Anyway, you just kind of... talk about books.  "This is what I'm reading, and this is what it's about, and this is what I like, and this is what I don't like, and my god this thing is full of social criticism or not."  It's kind of like a combo happy/sad thread, but for books.  Maybe you post favorite quotations.  And so on, and so forth.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 05:11:52 pm »

We aren't very talkative about our reading material, are we...

I am at the part where he goes crazy and kills the king.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 05:11:55 pm »

I'm interested.

I've got a book called "Watching the English" by Kate Fox, I've started reading but didn't finish, so I might as well start over again.

In WATCHING THE ENGLISH anthropologist Kate Fox takes a revealing look at the quirks, habits and foibles of the English people. She puts the English national character under her anthropological microscope, and finds a strange and fascinating culture, governed by complex sets of unspoken rules and byzantine codes of behaviour. Her minute observation of the way we talk, dress, eat, drink, work, play, shop, drive, flirt, fight, queue - and moan about it all - exposes the hidden rules that we all unconsciously obey.

The rules of weather-speak. The Importance of Not Being Earnest rule. The ironic-gnome rule. The reflex apology rule. The paranoid-pantomime rule. Class indicators and class anxiety tests. The money-talk taboo. Humour rules. Pub etiquette. Table manners. The rules of bogside reading. The dangers of excessive moderation. The eccentric-sheep rule. The English 'social dis-ease'.

Through a mixture of anthropological analysis and her own unorthodox experiments (using herself as a reluctant guinea-pig), Kate Fox discovers what these unwritten behaviour codes tell us about Englishness.

It's well written and quite humorous.
And everybody can benefit from being a little more british :D

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 05:12:26 pm »

I wonder how Cuckoo's Nest is going to end, I'm about to read part 4.

I wonder is Chief will make his secret that he isn't mute public.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14