Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does the future of dwarf fortress potentially sadden/scare anyone else?  (Read 2362 times)

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does the future of dwarf fortress potentially sadden/scare anyone else?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 10:46:09 pm »

I think I conveyed my feelings wrong.

It's not that I want him to stop production or anything like that.  I doubt I will ever go back to the old versions either.  I don't think it will be bad at all, just fundamentally different.  Awesome none-the-less, but the atmosphere will change.

Oh, of course it will.  Soon, they'll be using this in architecture courses to test students.

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 07:39:14 am »

Eventually we'll all get bored with the game if it doesn't change or improve over time. What is scary is the possibility of Toady disappearing overnight.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 07:59:17 am »

Eventually we'll all get bored with the game if it doesn't change or improve over time. What is scary is the possibility of Toady disappearing overnight.
Agree.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 09:12:32 am »

Some people might be missing the OP's point.

There is a subset of DF players who love it because in its developing form, it's a zany nonsensical simcity game.  When it becomes a fantasy world simulator, it might have too much complexity and verisimilitude for their tastes.  It's like people who like caterpillars but not butterflies.

We already saw this back when DF moved to 3d or when the materials were reworked- there are people who were nostalgic for an older, boatmurdered era DF that was easier to digest.

What I disagree with is the OP's assertion that "most of what we associate with DF is the insanity." A lot of us out there don't think all the lava/blood/skulls/elf memes are all that compelling and have our own style of playing and viewing the gameworld.

EDIT: An example would be how cleaning is bugged, so dwarves accumulate a lot of grime. Some players have translated that to mean that DF dwarves are dirty and crazy, and if that bug is fixed it might detract from their perception of DF.  Same goes for things like using babies as meatshields, or wearing rotting clothes.
As a fairly new player, I never experienced dangerous carp or elephants, and elves are really useful.  Community perceptions emerged from bugs, but sometimes those bugs are fixed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:23:32 am by GTM »

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 10:38:52 am »

Some people might be missing the OP's point.

There is a subset of DF players who love it because in its developing form, it's a zany nonsensical simcity game.  When it becomes a fantasy world simulator, it might have too much complexity and verisimilitude for their tastes.  It's like people who like caterpillars but not butterflies.

We already saw this back when DF moved to 3d or when the materials were reworked- there are people who were nostalgic for an older, boatmurdered era DF that was easier to digest.

What I disagree with is the OP's assertion that "most of what we associate with DF is the insanity." A lot of us out there don't think all the lava/blood/skulls/elf memes are all that compelling and have our own style of playing and viewing the gameworld.

EDIT: An example would be how cleaning is bugged, so dwarves accumulate a lot of grime. Some players have translated that to mean that DF dwarves are dirty and crazy, and if that bug is fixed it might detract from their perception of DF.  Same goes for things like using babies as meatshields, or wearing rotting clothes.
As a fairly new player, I never experienced dangerous carp or elephants, and elves are really useful.  Community perceptions emerged from bugs, but sometimes those bugs are fixed.

Check him, I think he's an elf in disguise.

They're only useful for stealing animals from. :P

That having been said, I always like new features in games as long as they're not game-breakingly stupid, which nothing in DF ever will be.  Toady knows what we like.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 12:49:47 pm »

A game that fears realism is a badly designed game. With realism comes balance. With realism come options. And with the fortunate circumstance of us players still being god-like and high above it all comes the carefree, risk-free fun-factor of being able to abuse it all to our hearts' content. Hooray!

(I'm looking forward to using physics not by means of bugs, but by careful planning. And who ever said that dwarves aren't actually supposed to be mad?)

Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!
Pages: 1 [2]