Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request: Cattleguard (if possible)  (Read 1089 times)

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
Request: Cattleguard (if possible)
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:41:19 am »

Hello

I do not know if this is possible and if it is surely someone already made it but just in case I will ask anyway.  If it already exists please point me at it as I have missed it.

I would like a device made like a bridge or floor (re-sizable) tiles that will not allow animals to pass but will allow wagons, caravans, and humanoids.  It would be nice, however, if it could be set to allow pets to pass or not.  Yes, I realize that wagons and merchants and caravans have animals carrying items and if it is not possible to distinguish animals with a caravan vs tame animals or if you just want to hold to reality you could make it so they can not pass it either.  It would just be a lot more convenient if they could.

Why Cattleguard in case you don't know.  Where I live the ranches are surrounded by fences to keep the animals in but people have to go in and out of those areas on foot of it vehicles.  Gate will not work because (as DF should have taught you) if you open a no animal passable door the animals rush out.  So, what the ranchers do is dig a trench or ditch and then place metal pipes over it.  The animals (usually cows) simply will not cross it.  My description is rather poor so instead of typing 1000 words, here is a picture.  It seems like a very dwarvie idea.  But, is it possible?

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Cattleguard (if possible)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:47:33 am »

I don't think it's possible to mod floor constructions so extensively.

That said, my knowledge is limited at best.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:16:33 pm »

If this is not possible how about adding animals to a burrow.  It would have the same effect but wouldn't be as cool.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:00:34 pm »

If this is not possible how about adding animals to a burrow.  It would have the same effect but wouldn't be as cool.
you can burrow animals?

EDIT:this is the modding forum of course you can
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:16:48 pm »

Actually I don't know if there are any mods that allow adding animals to burrows.  I do not know if it is possible either.  Sure wish someone could figure out how to do it though.  Would be cool to have a ranch instead of a room full of cages with flashing skeletons on them :(

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:48:15 pm »

Restraints are about the only thing I can think of that work.  I'm pretty sure you can't mod this sort of thing.

(You could take away all the animal's legs by modding, or, like, lower their boiling point so if they walk over a floor that has lava under it they evaporate, but that's all I can think of.  And both would have undesireable results.)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:57:43 pm »

Oh my god, that second one would be hilarious.

Urist McMilker: Come on, Bessie, time to go.
Bessie: Moo! *poof*
Urist McMilker: Why did that blasted overseer put the magma forges between the animal pens and the kitchens?
くコ:彡