Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 116

Author Topic: Zealots and Demons RTD Epilogue  (Read 94080 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zealots and Demons RTD Turn 104: Choosing Sides
« Reply #1215 on: June 06, 2011, 12:56:12 pm »

I feel I didn't explain the lure of technology enough to everybody so I'm going to go ahead and go a bit more in-depth to that.  Right now, the party hasn't explored either technology or enchanting too heavily so this isn't readily apparent to anybody but me.  Technology essentially is an means to accomplish many, if not all, of the same things magic/enchanting can do.

The most obvious comparison is in battle.  Mages have fireballs, Technologists/Demon Hunters have guns.  However, as far as this setting goes, the technology is competing in every other field as well.  Want to fly, have a technologist make you a flying device or a priest give you "Wings of Justice" (I think that's the name I used) or another such spell.  Want a more permanent solution to flight than Wings of Justice, have said priest enchant your cloak to let you fly whenever you want.  Want to go deep ocean exploring, magic has water breathing, technology can make scuba gear.

Furthermore, in the more epic proportions.  Sareesa created a floating island above the harbor where now 1,000 years later it still stands due to her powers as an enchanter.  Later, when you eventually reach the technological city of Zalthur, you will find it is actually floating above the ground very awesomely.

The reason for people thinking technology is superior is simple, with magic, the level of enchanting must raise higher and higher, and you have a more limited pool of who is going to be skilled at enchanting (Priests and Mages primarily with demon hunters primarily designed to use enchanting to capture demons and then give to technologists who can then use it to create, for example, a sweet Steam-Punk motorcycle).  Magic is limited by birth to those who fall into 3 separate categories, Skilled, Semi-skilled, Unskilled.  With technology you can put a rifle into every hand that comes.

Overall, I'd say magic is probably more powerful if you have a skilled enchanter, but technology is the easier to master of the two.

Edit:  Also, a point in favor of technology is you can continually improve old weapons rather than having to get new weapons that can hold more and more enchantments due to the craftsmanship.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:06:09 pm by V-Norrec »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 06, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »

Interesting.  I still think my character is of the mind to eliminate all demons from the world, including those used in technology; he's just wise enough to know that it is better to get rid of the free demons first.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 06, 2011, 11:57:49 pm »

Dor'lek tenses up in the case he might need to cast. "I don't know what your motivation is for catching 'my friend', but I truly don't appreciate you hurting people to do so." As he thinks for a second, he becomes less tense. "Perhaps I could aid you in coming to a less-violent solution?"
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zealots and Demons RTD Turn 105: Halls of Memories.
« Reply #1218 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:41 pm »

Quote from: SeriousConcentrate
Considering everything I've been through, the choice for me is easy. "I think we have to split up and choose a path. To the south is Sentinel; to the north is Sareesa. I believe the western figure is the founder of the Zealots, Grand Master Doan. Sorry, but I don't recognize the figure to our east." Perhaps it's the body Sentinel was inhabiting when we first met him? I can't be certain of that... I point to the north. "This is the way I'll be heading. With any luck I'll see you two on the other side." I tip my hat to them. "Ochita. Zack." With those simple words of parting, I head north to see what the labyrinth holds for me. This surely must be one of the trials I was warned of...

[3]  You walk forward.  Same as with the Western exit to the room it begins to light up.  You take a look back and see the mosaic room has gone dark now that nobody is in there.  "Only way to go is forward I suppose." you say moving forward.  Without remembering exactly how you end up in a forest.  After a very short moment you realize this makes no sense as you are underground.  Looking at yourself, you immediately realize something is wrong!  Somehow you've been turned into a female, and one that's probably only recently entered her teenage years.

"So, asu mei sul."  says a Troll behind you.  You look back at Sentinel, and give a silent nod.  Sentinel is barely an adult himself, probably around twenty if you had to place a guess, though you've never been good at placing an age on trolls.  You gather that So is the nick-name assigned to Sareesa by Sentinel in the troll language, and that they are protecting something but you don't know what.

After a few more seconds of acclimation you can feel magic pumping through your veins.  Having never had any magical experience before it is an experience unlike any other.  Knowledge begins to flow into your mind and suddenly some secrets of magic have opened them self up to you.

You are in a think jungle, you are the only female, there are 3 male trolls, all young, including Sentinel with you.  You are dressed in a multi-layered robe with light scale mail underneath it.  The robe is expertly dyed and crafted, though primitive by today's standards.  It's primary hew is teal with accents of silver and brown.  The scale is made of strengthened scorpion chitin.

Quote from: wolfchild
Try again, this time being willing to threaten various forms of violence to shady types who dont give good answers, esspecialy ones with swords, gotta pay you're muscle

[5]  You're not really sure if threatening people with swords is a good idea, but you do it anyhow.  Surprisingly it works and you not only get a sword for your martially proficient friend but arrive at the compound of the anti-magic cult.  You see a dead homeless guy off to the side.  How did you miss that?

Quote from: Ochita
"R-Right then." Go west anyway, and keep an eye out.

[6]  Pfft, fear is for the weak.  You march onward fearlessly, barely even noticing when you strangely change into a pure human in steel plate.  You are sure of your destination, the Lair of the foul demon Mathooth.  With you is your trusted companion, the Sinister Assassin, Kerrigan.  She is clad in black leather and is wielding two barbed short swords with man daggers strapped onto her for throwing into her enemies.

You can hear the foul machinations of of the stone constructs of Mathooth, you're nearly in his inner sanctum now.  You stand beside Kerrigan. "If we stop now then all life, all that we fight for is lost Kerrigan.  I will fight until my last breath, and I hope you will do the same."  you say in a voice just a shade deeper than your own.

Quote from: Zako
"Don't get killed by anything." Examine the person above the east exit and then proceed that way.

[5]  Examining the mosaic on the ground you recognize the figure as Zahn, the mad lord of Blue Blood Tower.  You smirk "Decend into the madness and survive I suppose.  My fate is sealed indeed."  You enter through the east exit the lights in the mosaic hall shutting off behind you.

You are in the ball room on the base level of Blue Blood Tower.  You feel no different, but you recognize that you are now Zahn.  To the north a play will begin shortly.  To the West are ladies of "virtue"

Quote from: Frelock
Go off to meet with LeBlanc, inform her of LeStronge's intentions.

[2]  You agree silently to LeStronge's suggestion, but when you attempt to leave he stops you.  "One moment, here, this belongs to you."  he says handing you a picture.  You continue leaving after taking it.  After leaving the office you look at the picture, it is of your wife and child.  *sigh* heavy-handed politics indeed. 

Quote from: CoughDrop
Dor'lek tenses up in the case he might need to cast. "I don't know what your motivation is for catching 'my friend', but I truly don't appreciate you hurting people to do so." As he thinks for a second, he becomes less tense. "Perhaps I could aid you in coming to a less-violent solution?"

[5]  He thinks for a moment.  "OK, we'll play your way.  I'll keep my boys at bay for one day, twenty-four hours.  In that time I want you to gather the tome that came with the crystal.  That tome should not be read, by anyone, no matter how pure.  You bring me that, and I disappear.  If not, then I'll just have to hunt you down again.  Deal?"

Status Changes:

Spoiler: Ochita (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Frelock (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Zako (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Malgun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dor’lek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: wolfchild (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:50:04 pm by V-Norrec »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Zealots and Demons RTD Turn 105: Halls of Memories
« Reply #1219 on: June 07, 2011, 08:08:38 pm »

If I had known one day I wold be dropped into Sareesa's past I would've paid more attention to religion than machinery, I think to myself. No help for that now. How would Sareesa behave here? And what are we trying to protect? I nod to Sentinel, then to the other trolls. I don't trust myself to speak just yet; for one thing it would be too strange to hear Sareesa's voice coming from me and for another I don't want to say something wrong. What do I know of her? Gentle and humble... but a great leader according to history. So I have to be commanding, too. She wants love and acceptance for everyone, so I have to stay true to that too.

All right, that's how I have to act... but what should I do? I look around. Maybe I should try casting a spell. I think... I know one for locating demons... it seems like I should. I'll try that and head for the closest one. I close my eyes and begin casting, trusting Sareesa's body to remember the motions and words necessary.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 07, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »

Frelock looks at the picture, both joy and fear running through his veins.  This was the first time he had ever seen an image of his son.  So delicate, as he was being held in his mother's arms, not even two months old.  His mother looked far more beautiful than Frelock could remember; though it had only been a year, his longing for her had never truly abated.  At the same time, he knew what such an image meant, and the sinister message it implied.  Clearly the Executioner had gone mad, or had been possessed by demons himself.  The zealots were meant to be a holy order, protectors of the people.  To perform such extortion shamed the order to its deepest level.  But perhaps he was wrong.  Perhaps this was a gift, a token of LeStronge's appreciation, and simply meant to illicit the warm memories of home.  That is, of course what any reasonable person would assume.  Still, the picture weighed heavy in Frelock's hand as he saw the familiar home from whence he had come in the background, as his wife gently rocked his child upon her chair on the veranda. 

Though he had already been leaning towards assisting LeBlanc, his resolution was firm now, there was no way he could aid LeStronge.  No man could be rewarded for threatening his family.  Still, he felt that precautions must be taken.  Perhaps he could send a message to his freinds in the village; they would be sure to help. Looking around after leaving the office, however, he was certain his every move was being watched.  Perhaps LeBlanc could have a means of delivering a message.  And, Fre reminded himself, you have other friends here too, both inside and outside the zealots.  He was certain that Dor'lek and Havor'e would be interested in these political turn of events.

Discreetly hire a messenger to find Dor'lek and Havor'e, and to tell them to meet me in the gardens.  Then go there myself.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 07, 2011, 10:08:47 pm »

"Well, this certainly is a turn for the worst." Try to remember as much as I can about Zahn and inspect these ladies of virtue. Why are they called as such?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 08, 2011, 02:16:34 am »

Before anyone asks, yes this is my way of weaving exposition into the story, I figure it's more exciting than a wall of text exposition and more meaningful than throw away enemies.  If you don't like the "memory" method, just tell me and I'll abandon it.

As for Zahn he is commonly recognised as being responsible for the beginning of the fall of the Zealots.  Under his rule, Blue Blood Tower gained its name for the pure exorbitance on display daily.  Parties constantly and full of debauchery at every turn.  He was expelled when he was recognized as insane, but the damage to the Zealots reputation was done.  It was under his leadership that the Troll Tribes separated from the Zealots, as well as some cities declaring themselves independent.

The ladies of virtue are women who voluntarily, or in some cases offered as payment to the Zealots by outside powers, act as prostitutes exclusively for the Zealots.  They are all manner of women from around the world including several races not yet mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:27:06 am by V-Norrec »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 08, 2011, 02:26:12 am »

Nah, it's cool. It's an interesting challenge to play a character trying to play a character he's met but really knows little about. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 08, 2011, 02:41:43 am »

after getting tier four magic i would not mind finding the others so i can help with the plot, but for now

Mobe in, Stealthily, prepare a water blast spell
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 08, 2011, 02:56:39 am »

By the way the goal of the Zahn memory is to drive him insane without doing anything completely out of character, in which case he'll perform some variety of sanity restoring activity.  Rolls will primarily be taken to determine sanity lost or gained.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 08, 2011, 04:19:55 am »

Hmmm... Interesting. I thought it was a more survival sort of thing, but ok, that's cool.

Examine these ladies of virtue and ponder about the various races they come from. Such strange creatures, and yet somehow strangely alluring...

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 08, 2011, 04:33:39 am »

I'm trying to experiment with different mechanics to establish some variety.  I wasn't sure about that one, but I thought it might be fun to drive someone insane.  I hope it's as fun for you as it was in my head.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 08, 2011, 04:41:56 am »

As long as you don't tilt the camera slightly and make it hard to navigate Zack should be fine. :3 I think Malgun's going to have !!fun!! trying to act like he's a nice girl in love with a troll, at least in light of the bar incident. ^^ Although I am curious about Ochita, it seems like his is going to be a difficult fight at the moment

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 08, 2011, 04:45:28 am »

Yep had to throw some hack and slash in there.  I think it'll be interesting once he has finished the immediate task at hand.  All of these will give varying levels of background, his just doesn't come right away.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:50:50 am by V-Norrec »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 116