Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Angelashes 2.1 - UP FOR NEW MANAGEMENT  (Read 9044 times)

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Angelashes 2.1 - 31.12 newbie succession fort [FULL] - Turn ?
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2010, 02:06:05 pm »

I'm just going to start taking my turn where Zaik left off and if Dwarf finishes up i'll just start over from his save instead.

oO 5 legendary miners?? given the track record of my current fort I'll better get them to dig some crypt before they begin suiciding.

also, is there a reason for the manager/bookkeeper to not have any labor assigned?

just noticed that the hotkey labeled catacombs leads to a place with lots of beds...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 04:01:24 pm by bremarv »
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2010, 04:19:36 pm »

s≠x...

I wouldn't have thought that a newbie fort would last too long, don'r play so well, my comrades.
Don't you just love magma-baked cookies?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2010, 06:28:35 pm »

s≠x...

I wouldn't have thought that a newbie fort would last too long, don'r play so well, my comrades.

It nearly didn't, the only way we survived was that the captain of the guard chased off a goblin siege that walked right in the back door solo with only "Skilled" axe skill while the militia commander fired some bolts that didn't do a lot. It helped that i'd made him bronze armor and he had a masterwork adamantine battle axe, but he still soloed a siege with level 4 axe skill.

I'm just going to start taking my turn where Zaik left off and if Dwarf finishes up i'll just start over from his save instead.

oO 5 legendary miners?? given the track record of my current fort I'll better get them to dig some crypt before they begin suiciding.

also, is there a reason for the manager/bookkeeper to not have any labor assigned?

just noticed that the hotkey labeled catacombs leads to a place with lots of beds...

I don't know, honestly i was just watching stuff like crazy, trying to prepare defenses, fix the booze problem, and get enough beds for all the dwarves. They're pretty much all in 1 tile holes in the wall that were started when i got it.

Only things i can really think to recommend is more streamlining, make sure that back door(you'll know it when you see it) is sealed off or defended properly, and probably definitely get started on real bedrooms

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:47:00 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2010, 10:18:47 pm »

It nearly didn't, the only way we survived was that the captain of the guard chased off a goblin siege that walked right in the back door solo with only "Skilled" axe skill while the militia commander fired some bolts that didn't do a lot. It helped that i'd made him bronze armor and he had a masterwork adamantine battle axe, but he still soloed a siege with level 4 axe skill.
But if he had been a legendary axeman and wearing full adamantine armor he would have had his skull punched through his brain by a thief. That's how the game works.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Trooper0102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2010, 08:03:51 am »

Yeah sorry bout that, the bed thing was my fault. I didn't remember the design untill my year was over, and I had switched to Primeswords again. Same damn layout and everything. Oh well, where the living once slept, is where the dead shall rise, as is Dwarf Fortress.

Also: Hotkey? Wha??

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2010, 08:09:34 am »

Also: Hotkey? Wha??

if you press h, you can set the f# buttons to zoom to different places. really helps navigation when the fort starts becoming bigger
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.

Trooper0102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2010, 08:20:10 am »

o.O *tests this*

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2010, 08:28:19 am »

something to add to the facepalm thread?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Trooper0102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2010, 08:41:55 am »

-_- It won't let me set them (I've smashed enter, the F#, space, Leftclick, my fist, and the +-)

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2010, 09:36:25 am »

press the f# in the menu, then z to make it zoom to where you

Grrr, the bloddy dwarves are munching my plump helmets before I get to brew them, even thoug there are tons of prepared food.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:35:42 am by bremarv »

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2010, 11:40:03 am »

-_- It won't let me set them (I've smashed enter, the F#, space, Leftclick, my fist, and the +-)

h to open menu
F1/F2/F# to set which one you're designating
z to set it.  Make sure to press z.

Then you can zoom there using F1/F2/F#.

Trooper0102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2010, 11:49:01 am »

WAIT WAIT WAIT! Do I have to close the menu THEN press F#? Cus that would explain EVERYTHING.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2010, 12:08:58 pm »

WAIT WAIT WAIT! Do I have to close the menu THEN press F#? Cus that would explain EVERYTHING.

Yarr.  If I wanted to set my main gate as a hotkey, I'd go to where my main gate is, hit h, F1, z, then close the menu.  From then on, hitting F1 while not on the hotkey menu will zoom to it.

You can also use F1 to zoom to my maingate while in things like the designation menu and building menu, but that's bugged.  It'll take you to the x,y area but not the z.  Still, gets you to the general area.

Trooper0102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2010, 01:07:01 pm »

That. Makes complete sense. No wonder it wasn't working. xD

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2010, 02:47:05 pm »

Since it don't seem like dwarf -lover- is going to post, ill just continue on from Zaik. got into somewhere in the summer and will probably finish up by the end of wednesday. Dwarfed myself as the newest miner immigrant.

Journal of 'bremarv' Kathilrisen, Miner, Part I:

3rd Granite: I recently immigrated to Angelashes because it was rummored to have some of the best miners and I want to bee all I can bee. sorry for the bad pun, it wont happen again. I was recently appointed the leader of this place. The former just grabbed me at random and told me I was it. Less time for mining but finding another to lead us would waste too much time. I will only be doing this for a while, until I find someone fit for the job.

After talking to Maribel, the manager/bookkeeper about the current situation, I decided to put two dwarves to focus on growing food. Later I heard rumors about a backdoor of sorts. I ordered a small tower built around and over it with a moat forcing enemies to go a full circle around to give the marksdwarfs some time to kill them. I'm not sure if we actually have any marksdwarfs, but it might be useful later.

9th Granite: Ordered some sleeping quarters for our farmers made so they can focus on supplying the brewers. I probably should get some bedrooms for them as well so they don't have to go so far. I later went up to inspect the the new tower, I found that someone had removed the stairs going up instead of properly walling it off, so I had to go all the way around. Work on the wall is going along nicely and it seems we are almost ready to start on the roof.

Also found out a miner named Xenos was taking a nap in the moat. I'd like to think he was so dedicated he worked until he collapsed, but I suspect he was just being stupid.

14th Granite: turns out someone had ordered the back entrance walled up. of course this locked our wall and trap builder outside, yet gain forcing them to take the long way around. The wall is being removed now. Have issued orders for a roof and wall around the entrance and trade depo. We don't want any any bats coming over the wall while we sleep do we?

23rd Granite: things are progressing well. I must remember to check up on the farmers to ensure we got enough booze. maybe adding an extra hand or two while the primary growers are training? someone also managed to strand themselves outside the walls when building it. I immideatly ordered a ramp dug for him so he could get down, but I must admit when I got the report I considering letting natural selection do it's thing for a second or two.

7th Slate: I have started drawing up plans for moving the well inside. When visiting the hospital where I plan the first well to be placed, I noticed several injured dwarfs and not a single doctor. Managed to get the doctors to consentrate on doing doctoring, though ratoning of booze may have been mentioned.  Note to self: install door on hospital in case of flooding.

19th Slate: One of our great artists, a mighty Milker named Logem Ethramkeskal, decided that he should stop doing his duties and instead halt our awsome metal production. Talking with the manager it seems this is a somewhat normal thing. I again find myself contemplating the pros and cons of capital punisment. he better not be making an toy boat out of awsome metal.

23rd Slate: Just got a report that lots of unknown dwarfs had shown up. After much paperwork and having dwarfs running around, checking who was new and who was old, it turns out we got another 23 booze drains now. Just to be sure they had used all their booze on the way here. It wouldnt suprise me to hear they all kept bats as pets either. I told Maribel to put them all up as haulers. Also told Zaik to find some more that he considers fit to join the military.

4th Felsite: A rumor about a ghost in some of our new walls have had the miners delay digging in that area. Turns out it was the missing mason who had been trapped on the other side. He was promptly rescued. Also think I found out why our harvest was so crap. turns out the growers have to go to the other end of the fortress for seeds. New seed stockpile is now in the redundant water storage tank.

5th Felsite: Just run out of plants to brew. Barely got a barrel of booze for each dwarf. Could get interesting.

8th Felsite: Uvash Titthaludil died from dehydration. Lately he have run around just babbling, refusing to drink anything. The limited selection of booze is starting to get on my nerves too. I took the liberty of moving Zaik from Captain of the Guards to Military Commander. Also issued an order for the military to start using uniforms instead of random scraps of armor. Reports from the farms says there is still very limited amount of plants. The dwarf occupying the awsome metal extraction finished. As the tree hugger sympatiser he is, he made a wooden figure.

1st Hematite: Summer is here, yay... Anyway, the farm is going.. better. Also dwarfs have been caught snaking on the plump helmets. just what we needed to get the brewing going.

22nd Malachite: Think the booze might be safe for now. well somewhat safer. the farms have started yielding crops and booze is again produced. We was in the single digits of barrels for 144 dwarfs. Also got fertilizer production going, which might help. the haulers are still being retards and hauling everything except the seeds, so the farmers still have a long way to go. Also got another bunch of booze drains. hauling as usual.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8