Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming garbage dump zones and choosing between which one to use  (Read 466 times)

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
Naming garbage dump zones and choosing between which one to use
« on: September 26, 2010, 07:02:12 pm »

When designating multiple garbage dump zones, you could have the option to name them. Each garbage zone would also get a number when created. This comes in handy when you want one dump for storing rocks, and one for getting rid of stuff you really don't need.

The number would be used when using the k -> d method of dumping. It'd cycle through each zone so it'd say D1, D2, D3, etc (and if there's enough space somehow, the name as well) at the object being designated. A capital D would remove the dump designation all together.
The name would be used in the mass dump designation window, where you pick a zone by its number and then designate away.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naming garbage dump zones and choosing between which one to use
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:17:21 am »

Well, yes. I'd generally approve of the idea of making dump zones (volcano, atom smasher, mason/craftsdwarf quantum stockpile, etc.), and... yes, I was actually planning to make a thread like this after checking if it was on the eternal suggestions list. Everything fine with me here.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naming garbage dump zones and choosing between which one to use
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:07:18 am »

Personally I'd say, right now this isnt worth the coding effort. Probably.

You can do a lot of the stuff you want to do with camera hotspots, stockpiles (not only refuse), the refuse options and a garbage dump zone working together.

Unless you want to "abuse it" for quantum stockpiling, then you probably need to dick around with burrows a bit, too.