Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simplicity for the new version  (Read 1363 times)

Saina

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Simplicity for the new version
« on: September 26, 2010, 04:13:41 pm »

I have been playing DF for a while now and I remember some time back getting a mod that stripped down things, mainly the stones and ores, making it much simpler to keep track of what I was building stuff out of...

Can anyone help me either find one that works for the new version or help me with modding the raw files?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Simplicity for the new version
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 04:51:18 pm »

This is blasphemy.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:28:45 pm »

This is blasphemy.
Besides this, I have never heard of such a mod existing.  I have heard of creating one to allow for minecraft maps to be created and be extra playable, but yeah.  Thats all I have.  Good luck.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 09:40:46 pm »

I remember the idea of a tutorial mod that does just that get tossed around, but I don't think anything came out of it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Saina

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 10:48:03 pm »

As I recall Kagus was the one that made the mod I loved, and at some point he abandoned, but the only thing I have found for the new version is the minimalist mod, which keeps crashing on me...

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:45:40 pm »

I wouldn't mind having this, because really all the stone types aren't super realistic anyway.

I could imagine the list of stones looking like

• Stone
  • <Metal> Ore (Like 'iron' instead of magnetite)
  • Flux Stone
  • Coal
Maybe three gem qualities. Common Gem, Uncommon Gem, Rare Gem.

If nothing else forts would look nice and clean without all the random colors everywhere.

EDIT:

Alright, I actually tried doing this, just for stone. Ended up with 'stone', 'flux stone', 'obsidian', 'coal', 'gypsum', 'slade', and one ore for each non-alloy metal (iron, gold, silver, nickel, copper, tin, zinc, platinum, aluminum, and adamantine, I think. Of course, some are native, not ore).

Then there are three types of gems, common, uncommon, and rare.

Would you want alloys simplified as well? Plants? Trees? Animals? If it's supposed to be newb friendly, maybe get rid of cats :V

Although, having only one type of stone layer makes it do weird things at worldgen. Like, EVERYWHERE is aquifer, period. Would you want four stone types, named 'sedimentary', 'igneous intrusive', 'igneous extrusive', and 'metamorphic'? Do you think worldgen needs more than that to effectively generate varied terrain?

Can anyone think of shorter, more casual names for those four types? 'Sedimentary Stone Cabinet' is a little unwieldy. Maybe just four types of stone that all share the same name, but contain different ores?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:46:58 am by Jadael »
~ T

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:42:30 am »

ok here ya go http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3177

makes all the non-economic stone types in to "stone" and are solid light gray

all the flux stone types in to "flux stone" and are solid white

gypsum is now a white 'G' on light gray background (renamed other powederable types to gypsum to match)

all the non-sand soil types are 'dirt' and solid brown

all the sand soils are 'sand' and solid yellow

bitumous coal/lignite renamed to rich coal/coal respectively and are solid dark gray

names all the ores by product, displayed by their metal name as a letter with colors:
red I = iron
yellow G = gold
white S = silver
green C = copper
white C = copper/silver
white L = lead/silver
gray Z = zinc
purple N = nickel
pink B = bismuth
brown T = tin
white P = platinum
light blue A = adamantine
white A = aluminum

gems are named by value and are on dark gray backgrounds... all are the '☼' character:
yellow = ornamental (value 2)
white = rare ornamental (value 10)
purple = semi-precious (value 20)
pink = rare semi precious (value 30)
light green = precious (value 45)
red = rare precious (value 60)

didn't mess with: obsidian, slade, bauxite

Some problems you may have:  I didn't change any of the smelter reactions, so they'll still ask for a stone type by the old name not new name.  They still work fine just a little confusing.  I didn't actually delete any of the stone types... just changed their descriptive names and display colors, so on the "stone" and "stock" menus there's alot of 'stone' entries.  Same goes for gems, so in the stock menu and gem workshop you're gonna see alot of semi-precious, precious etc. repeated.  When building a building you'll have multiple 'stone' choices as well.  And finally... Pray that your mayor doesn't get a gem or stone fetish (or any leader for that matter) and if they do you'd better guess correctly :P.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:51:44 am by kwd1968 »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:47:57 am »

This is blasphemy.
Besides this, I have never heard of such a mod existing.  I have heard of creating one to allow for minecraft maps to be created and be extra playable, but yeah.  Thats all I have.  Good luck.

I've heard of it, it was actually called the "Simplicity Mod" but I never used it Given that it was for v38c and I started playing in v40d.

Here's a link to it (ie. to the original 38c Simplicity Mod) http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=43
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 11:52:21 am »

I made one of these a little while back. Here.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 02:34:19 pm »

This is blasphemy.

Wait, do you mean you can import your mine craft maps into DF? As in, this mine craft? I want it SO MUCH.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Saina

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 06:07:06 pm »

Ok, I finally got your mod to work(it was crashing on me before...) and now... uh... how do i explain this... I somehow end up as Cave crocodiles rather then dwarves... I am going to go through and see what threw up on my changes...

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 06:09:09 pm »

Ok, I finally got your mod to work(it was crashing on me before...) and now... uh... how do i explain this... I somehow end up as Cave crocodiles rather then dwarves... I am going to go through and see what threw up on my changes...

Duplicate entries?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 10:58:37 am »

That's likely the cause, but the only reason it'd happen is if you'd copied the new raws into your game. Unless I've missed something or uploaded the wrong version or something.

Edit: Nope, works fine here. You should also note that the included DF is 31.12, not .14, as I haven't bothered to update it yet.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:00:09 am by 3 »