Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFcleanmap question  (Read 1592 times)

FrozenViolet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFcleanmap question
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:47:21 pm »

Using .31.14, and trying to use the DFhack utility dfcleanmap. It does not seem to work at all. Do I run it while the game is running? I've tried this in .31.12 and .31.13 and still no luck.  Anyone have some instructions on how to get this to work? Do I need to put it into a special directory and run it? I honestly don't know!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: DFcleanmap question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 06:11:21 pm »

Edit memory.xml in a text editor (such as Wordpad - Notepad would work, but memory.xml has UNIX line endings and Notepad doesn't like those much), find the "31.13 WEATHER_START 0147E94E" line (right before the LINUX logo), then add the following right before it:
Code: [Select]
    <Version name="v0.31.14 SDL" os="windows" base="v0.31.13 SDL" rebase="0x1000">
        <PETimeStamp value="0x4C9B6EFB" />
    </Version>

This will allow several of the dfhack tools to work in 0.31.14 on Windows, but not all of them (in particular, it'll let you run dfcleanmap, dfreveal, dfprobe, and reportedly dfliquids, but not dfprospector and likely not dfcleartask either).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FrozenViolet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion, but this still didn't work :(. I get a runtime error when I run the cleanmap executable.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 10:27:12 pm »

While there's a thread about dfcleanmap up, I'll pipe in with a different question:
Is there any way to specify which contaminants get erased?  I'm on a tundra map and it's sort of odd to suddenly have it barren of all its snow.  The snow comes back after a year or two, but it's still off-putting.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:19:08 pm »

Hmm... Should be fixed pretty soon.

While there's a thread about dfcleanmap up, I'll pipe in with a different question:
Is there any way to specify which contaminants get erased?  I'm on a tundra map and it's sort of odd to suddenly have it barren of all its snow.  The snow comes back after a year or two, but it's still off-putting.
No. Currently it clears away everything with the exception of mud. I'll add snow as an exception too. Still, you could use dfweather to make it snow before that happens :P

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 01:32:33 am »

Snow is not a malicious contaminant, since it vanishes when temperatures rise so won't get tracked far into your fortress.  It is odd though when bodies of open water get covered in snow, but I suppose that's more of an anomaly related to Arctic-Ocean biomes -- where water never freezes.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 01:59:01 am »

About that artic ocean biome thing... Personally I'm not quite sure why sometimes it freezes and sometimes it doesn't. Previously embarking on artic ocean biomes means an unfrozen ocean.. but that was when I tended to generate maps without HFS and other features didn't always generate well. On the other hand, I'm currently playing a fort adjacent a completely frozen artic ocean, where the map has HFS...

sorry for the derail
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.