Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd caravan behaviour and an inappropriate message  (Read 661 times)

Shanty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Odd caravan behaviour and an inappropriate message
« on: November 25, 2006, 09:02:00 pm »

I've had a couple of odd things happen in my latest game:

I have a three tile wide hallway leading from a world-connected road, through the pre-river mountain up to a trading post by the river. Due to some elephant-related mishaps I wanted to be able to seal that corridor off, so I planted a support and two doors, one on each side of the support, across the hallway. I figured I was going to have to do without the caravan that year, but to my surprise they just rode on through the support and doors without trouble and have been every year since then.

The second oddity I've noticed happened when a craftsdwarf who had lost his leg to a lizardman attack and was fainting every twenty seconds was taken by a fey mood. When his grand project failed predictably and he went stark raving mad I noticed that his job description still read "Running around babbling!".
The dude is missing his left leg from the knee down, so all this running around all of a sudden strikes me as odd.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd caravan behaviour and an inappropriate message
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 10:18:00 pm »

I believe supports are "passable" tiles, which would mean they're no barrier to dwarves, elephants, or caravans.  What you should have used for the purpose is a statue, which is impassable.

However, elephants can get through doors anyway, unless they're locked.

Shanty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:27:00 am »

Well yes, but I assume it's passable because a dwarf or elephant can squeeze past it to one side. But a caravan wagon squeezing past it on BOTH sides doesn't seem plausible to me somehow.  I mean, it's a support. It stretches from floor to ceiling.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 05:39:00 pm »

Multiple square occupancy creatures in general are a nightmare for this and other reasons, which is why I have the wagons only work on a strict path.  The wagon path calculation can be made stricter to solve this problem.

I've changed the text in the case of a grounded creature.  The word "running" is still unsatisfactory in various other cases, but I'm leaving it for now.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!