Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Body Raws? Body Detail Plans? Tissue Templates? WTF? Help!?  (Read 2967 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Body Raws? Body Detail Plans? Tissue Templates? WTF? Help!?
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:41:47 pm »

I can't seem to get my head around the way that the new body designs in the creature raws work, nor do I have a clear understanding of how the "body", "body detail plan", and "tissue template" raws work or how they interact with each other when called within a creature. I sort of understood how the body designs worked back in 40d, but these new ones are way more complex and cross-refrence three different sets of files (and that's if you AREN'T using unusual materials in your creatures), most of which seem to be almost entirely undocumented; The Body Detail Plans don't even seem to have a page in the wiki, and magmawiki's Tissue Template Token page only has something resembling an actual description for one token (for HEALING_RATE there is a one sentence explanation that "Lower is faster"). The Creature Token page is a bit more informative, but most of what it has to say on the topic of creature body design is a mind-bending morass of circular reasoning and unclear explanations.

So anyway, can anybody help me to understand how all of this is supposed to work (especially the body detail plans, (but really all of it...))?

(P.S. I also have some trouble understanding the appearance related tokens in the creature raws)

help...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
Re: Body Raws? Body Detail Plans? Tissue Templates? WTF? Help!?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:30:14 am »

The "tissue template" describes what each tissue does, how much it can bleed, how many pain receptors it has, etc. Many of the thing in there are pretty comprehensive if you take a moment to forget how overwhelming all that info can be and think about the tags them selves. For example if there is a high number of pain receptors in a tissue then damage to that tissue will cause I high amount of pain to the creature. Or it has a high vascular value then it has a lot of blood flowing through it so injury to it will cause a lot of blood loss. Others aren't so clear and aren't really understood by any one, except maybe Toady, which is why they don't have a wiki page explaining them. The material qualities for these tissues such as how hard they are to cut, break or tear as well as melting and boiling points are defined in the material template raws. You select the material template in the first line where it says [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:<insert template from material raws>].

The "body detail plan" define what tissues are used in a creature, where they are placed and how they relate to one another. The first sets are the materials plans and the tissues plans. Those are just short cuts for the basic stuff found in pretty much every living thing so you don't have to manually define all the tissues and the materials for those tissues in the creature raws them selves which saves much time and space. If you want some examples of adding non-standard tissues and materials directly to a creature the cave floater is a good one to look at. Next you have the tissue layers which define where each tissue goes, unfortunately I don't know too much about those yet so I can't really explain them to you. Then you have the position and relations which defines where body parts are based on what it's connected to or relative to other parts near it. Finally you have the relative sizes which define how big each body part is compared to the other.

The "body" tells you what parts the creature has and what parts are connected to what. Like you have arms and the upper arm are connected to your upper body and your lower arm connect to your upper arm etc. And things like fingers and toes can get painfully repetitive.

Edit: more info.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 04:00:39 am by arzzult »
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:32:30 am »

...Next you have the tissue layers which define where each tissue goes, unfortunately I don't know too much about those yet so I can't really explain them to you...

The tissue layers from the body detail plan is where you actually assign the tissue material to the defined body  parts.  Using the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:(whatever)_TISSUE_LAYERS] template in the body_detail_plan file you associate each body part name (i.e. SKIN, HAIR, HORN] with an argument (ARG1, ARG4, etc) or a straight up value that was defined in the TISSUE_MATERIAL template (i.e. CHITIN, SKIN, etc).  Like EYE in the vertibrate_tissue_layers it says EYE:EYE:100 that means EYE body parts are made of EYE material 100% of the way through, and TUSK:IVORY:100 means that any body part that is a TUSK is 100% IVORY.

The ARG# entries are defined in the creature file using a:
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:(whatever)_TISSUE_LAYERS:ARG1:ARG2:ARG3:ARG4...etc].

Inside the tissue layers template, let's use the same one vertibrate_tissue_layers, it says that BEAK:ARG4:100 so whatever material was fourth in the list on that line would be the material of the creature's beak.  The usual values for vertibrate layers is:

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

so the BEAK would be all BONE.

And also from that same template, let's look at TAIL:ARG4:25:ARG3:25:ARG2:5:ARG1:1

This line means that the creature's TAIL (or tails) is/are 25 parts BONE (ARG4), 25 parts MUSCLE (ARG3), 5 parts FAT (ARG2) and 1 part SKIN (ARG1), and have no cartilage in them.

Joint templates add 'shoulder' and 'wrist' etc bodyparts that have the tendons and ligaments in them.  If joints aren't added, the tendon and ligaments connect separate bodyparts directly (I think).

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:17:40 am »

well buddy above me answerd the best i could think of but if you have any questions PM me and i will give you my contact info.
i can tell you all you need to know and help you with whetever mod your making i love working on projects

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 01:29:31 pm »

Yeah, this stuff isn't really documented that well, is it? :)

I added the default values in a nice table to the "Tissue template token" wiki page, this might help a bit with understanding what's there and what is possible.