Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How did you get into megaprojects?  (Read 973 times)

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did you get into megaprojects?
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:14:05 pm »

tl;dr: I suck at DF, and now I'm gonna try a megaproject. What got you started on megaprojects?

The long version:

For the longest time now, a huge part of DF has remained a mystery to me. I started playing last summer, and got okay at sustaining a fort, but I lost interest. I checked out .31.01 when it was released, but I didn't feel like I could understand the military so I quit again. Then, around the time .31.10 came out, I started again, and figured out the military and all that stuff. So at that point I could start a .31 fort, keep it going on plump helmets and defend it adequately. A lot of stuff seemed too confusing to tackle: glassmaking, hunting, clothesmaking, power; I assumed it was impossible. Then, on .12, I started Fortresscobra.

Fortresscobra was my first real fort. It lasted seven years, with an accomplished military, massive food production system, hunting squads, clothing industry, etc. I even started a windmill farm, though the tantrum spiral came too soon for me to hook it up to my planned 130 z-level magma pump stack. The progression was simple: already curious about how these things worked, I decided to try them for myself. To my amazement, they weren't too hard.

So now I'm on my next fort. I got it up and running way faster than any other fort I've ever had (granted, it was a very supple embark site; I'm not ready to embark on my first haunted glacier just yet), and early on I decided I wanted to have a huge mausoleum. Fortresscobra had a mausoleum, too, though it consisted of several large rooms with equally spaced caskets inside them, and several specially decorated 3x3 tombs for my most special dwarves. This seemed too easy this time around. I decided to make it more interesting: a 27x27x5 room with a central access shaft. On the floor level will be 3x3x2 tombs for every important dwarf. I haven't decided where the commondwarves go yet, but that can come later.

Now I know that, by DF standards, my 27x27x5 mausoleum is nothing impressive. But for me, it's huge; I haven't built one room before this that spanned multiple z-levels, and it will have several multiple z-level buildings inside it. I haven't finished it yet, but I know I'll be able to, and that gives me a huge amount of confidence. I actually feel like I could attempt what has for so long seemed impossible: a megaproject.

However, I know that not everybody's progression to megaprojects was so slow and tentative. I see plenty of people who say they had two normal forts before delving into their first megaproject. My question to the forum is how did you get into doing megaprojects?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 09:22:32 pm by Maulrus »
puppywhirrrrrrl

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you get into megaprojects?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:26:46 pm »

My first motivation to a mega project(if you can call my project mega) were the uselessly lying rocks and too much demanding nobles
I made a friggin tall tower ranging from 70 z level to 180 z level
It was done pretty fast and all of the stone in my base that was lying uselessly was used
Accomplishment!

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »

My first motivation to a mega project(if you can call my project mega) were the uselessly lying rocks and too much demanding nobles
It was done pretty fast and all of the stone in my base that was lying uselessly was used
Accomplishment!

Yeah I'd call that a megaproject for sure by virtue of huge fucking size.
puppywhirrrrrrl

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:54:26 pm »

I do my best to turn every embark into a gigantic castle. I've just always played that way. *shrug*

The first time I saw the Temple on DFWiki, my reaction was, "Wait, you're not supposed to build like that!? Man, I've been playing wrong."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:12:47 pm »

I just need one piece of IRL inspiration that I can build on DF. For example: my first really mega project was building ancient Babylon.
Out of Gold.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:39:20 pm »

Has been a natural progression for me too, just like

Accomplishment!

I, silly me, strip-mined a 2000 tile quarry beneath the ground of my fifth fort(and second succesful one). I wanted to use all that excess stone (I did not know of chasms or atom-smashers at the time), so I started building an above-ground castle. My first megaproject. 15 z-levels tall. 1600 tiles wide at the base. Complete with five cocentric circles of defences. And symmetric too.

Ever since then my focus in DF was megaprojects. Bigger. Prettier. Dorfier. Right now I'm trying to make one project work, but due to one unfortunate circumstance or another I was forced to abandon multiple times. The current embark site looks very promising, however, and I believe I will finally be able to complete the project.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:47:25 pm »

Has been a natural progression for me too, just like

Accomplishment!

I, silly me, strip-mined a 2000 tile quarry beneath the ground of my fifth fort(and second succesful one). I wanted to use all that excess stone (I did not know of chasms or atom-smashers at the time), so I started building an above-ground castle. My first megaproject. 15 z-levels tall. 1600 tiles wide at the base. Complete with five cocentric circles of defences. And symmetric too.

Ever since then my focus in DF was megaprojects. Bigger. Prettier. Dorfier. Right now I'm trying to make one project work, but due to one unfortunate circumstance or another I was forced to abandon multiple times. The current embark site looks very promising, however, and I believe I will finally be able to complete the project.
Does it use magma?
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 10:58:21 pm »

Does it use magma?

The current project, yes. More than I ever used up to this point. Details are for the moment trade secret ;)
My first megaproject I mentioned did use magma, but only for its Warcraft Ironforge style open-pit magma forge complex. It was probabily only about 80~100 tiles of 5/7~7/7 magma, all contained in a small bowl-shaped reservoir in the bottom of the fortress.