Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: Isle Forum Game: Getting the bunch back together!  (Read 24920 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Isle Forum Game: Getting the bunch back together!
« on: September 25, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »

NOTE, YOU'D DO GOOD TO READ THIS, ALL OF IT!

Skip to a section of the manual by copying the "CODE" (minus the quotations) and pasting it into the word search feature of your browser.

Index
Intro (Just scroll down)
-Joining (Again, scroll down)

Game basics
(1)Stats "LVDD"
-Conditions "BLHP"
-Atributes "BRBW"
-Skills "KASK"
(2)Turns "1234"
-Auto Actions "IDTK
(3)PC interactions "HTMF"
(4)Exploration "NSWE"

The Game
(4) Map explored "ONWR"
(5) Roster "UMEI"
-Roster detailed "GRPH"

Intro
   Hello fellow Bay12ers! If you would look to this topic, that was the inspiration for creating this forum game! If you haven't seen of or heard of that topic, it basically boils down to "you are stranded on an island, what will you do?"
   Except, you won't get to pick who you want to be with, and there's more than one island. These islands, were randomly generated from DF, gridded to make sense and attached to each other how ever I saw fit. There's a sign up limit of fifteen people. So if this sounds interesting to you, what are you doing? SIGN UP NOW!

Joining
   If you want to join, simply fill out this basic list with the appropriate information.

1:User Name in () Parentheses
2:PC Name, if you want, it can just be your username, doesn't really matter.
Physical traits: Male? Female? Height? Weight? Muscle to fat ratio? These will determine your physical attributes.
3:Skills: Anything you think you're good at. Even stuff such as your latest killer killing kill streak on your favorite FPS will count! These will help me figure out as to what type of edge in this game I can give you. For example, if you're on I don't know, the track team and throw javelins further than anyone else; than I'm going to add bonuses to thrown objects (accuracy, power, ect). That last example only applies if you are doing it per this time frame.
4:Negative aspects: Anything, really, anything this is pretty much the same as skills. If you don't provide anything, than I will make sure that I add some kind of negative aspect to your PC. You probably won't like it too, so being honest will save you a lot of trouble.

*NOTE* Some of you may have un-proportional advantages. That may lead you to some troubles. No one said survival would be easy.

Stats LVDD
   Stats will be tracked akin to LOZ style. Units of stats will be represented by Oos and represent the level of proportion full, respectively. HP obviously represents the overall condition of the PC; when it reaches zero, game over. TH is your PC's level of hydration. Because most creatures cannot live without some form of H20 for too long, you'd do good to keep this full. HU is hunger. Your PC can live much longer with out food, but you still want to keep it as full as you can. ST is your stamina. This determines the level of activity you can accomplish in one game turn. Some actions require ST to accomplish while others are free actions (no ST use) and only consume time. ST can go into the negatives; it will regenerate over time but it will not be fully replenished every turn. CN is your PCs condition. The lower this stat, the worse your PC is currently feeling. It is there to give you a general idea of your PC's health and when low, other stats will be deducted.

Example of what stats basically look like
OOOOO HP
OOOOO TH
OOOOO HU
OOOOO ST
OOOOO CN

Conditions BLHP
   The next thing about stats are conditions. I never planned on tracking individual body parts, instead if say, your PC's left arm is chopped off, it will be counted as a condition. Said conditions will affect your PC by first bleeding, pain and shock. These will affect many checks of course and in the long run make your PC handicapped. CN will go down with more negative conditions.

Attributes BRBW
   These should be quite obvious. Attributes are simply things that are always present, as in mental and physical. Most of these won't change very easily so make do with what you have.

Skills KASK
   How good you are at something. I'll be keeping skills to a mostly short list and track them by simple levels. 0= Unskilled, 1= Dabbling, 2= Competent, 3= Proficient, 4=Skilled and 5= Professional, anything after simply adds bonuses to when you apply the skill, if you survive that long. And no, I will now show you a skill list, only after everyone signs up.

Turns 1234
   Turns, first off there will be a deadline for everyone to input their actions. Even if I'm not done with an update, and one you request your actions after the deadline, your PC will be sitting idle next update. Though don't worry, I won't set the deadlines to incredibly short periods.
   That out of the way, in game turns will count towards two hours of RL time. There are two types of actions your PC can do, "energy actions" and "free actions." Energy actions will always take up an ST point and are limited by your PC's current ST level. Free actions take up no ST and are only limited to how much time they take up. Speed terms, there isn't really much of it. Most actions will be done automatically and in the same time frame of every other thing acting.

Auto Actions ID2K
   There are actions that will obviously come after another actor has acted. When said situations occur, like say PC1 is attacked by some beast, there will be things called "auto-actions" that as their name suggest, will happen automatically "PC1 tries to fend attack." Those situations will probably mess up your PC's initial order of actions. So for the record, when suggesting actions, please state the priority of them. You can also set your AA to whatever you want e.g., "my PC will always greet people politely." (That was an example, please don't suggest stupid time consuming things like that!)

PC interaction HTMF
   PC interaction, as I said before, there are free actions and energy actions. Energy actions are limited to actions that have your PC doing a significant amount of physical labor. Items in this world will come with prefixes that will indicate (when you interact with them) the level of ST you use when interacting with them on a physical level.
       The order of an item's description will come like this: "(){}[]:", the first is weight, second size and third appearance. An example of this will be (Heavy){Large}[mossy]:Log. To keep things simple, some prefixes will constantly be applied to items. Anyway, heavy items will always use one ST unit when using them, large will multiply the use by two and mossy simply means the log is a bit slippery.

In all honesty, you really aren't limited to how you want to interact with your environment. Just make sure you don't waste your time.

Exploration NSWE
   Exploration, ahhh, well to start, I plan on scattering all of you who sign up at random points on the island. You'll all start at some random beach. I'm also not going to give you a map marking everything for your convenience. You have to explore the island to survive. Now, there are two ways to traverse the map. It's pretty much in the same style of DF. The first way to do so is by traveling via region, i.e. traveling the full length of a tile on the world map. The second is by local area or traveling the area of island's tile you're in. In terms of time, a single full tile of island terrain will take two hours to completely traverse, that's if you're not distracted by anything, 3/4 will take 1:30 and going down by half any hour 2/4 terrain will take one hour and 1/4 half an hour. Anything less than 1/4 will take fifteen minutes to completely traverse. Note, the local area of an island terrain consists of 32X32 individual tiles. Also, when traveling across an island map tile, you won't have the entire tile mapped on the main island map, just the part you happened moved across along.

Map explored so far ONWR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
   Nothing numb nuts, the game hasn't started!

Roster UMEI
1.MaximumZero
2.Barbarossa the Seal God
3.Vector
4.Renault
5.Mindmaker
6.OmnipotentGrue
7.techno65535
8.Solifuge
9.SeriousConcentrate
10.Neyvn
11.Japa
12.Tack
13.Ottofar
14.Tylui
15.Aqizzar

Roster Detailed GRPH
Spoiler: Maximumzero (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vector (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Renault (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mindmaker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: OmnipotentGrue (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: techno65535 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Solifuge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: SeriousConcentrate (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neyvn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Japa (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tack (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ottofar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tylui (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aqizzar (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:10:24 pm by Creamcorn »
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stranded on an Island, The Forum Game (There's a sign up limit!)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:03:20 pm »

In b4 people greatly over rate themselves.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:09:58 pm »

I am apart of an underwater aristocracy that knew about this beforehand

(Jervous)
PC Name: Julia Derby

Physical Traits: Female, average height, skinny, somewhat athletic build
Mental Traits: Cunning, some survival knowledge

Skills: Good at climbing, very quick at sprinting, good at catching things, sort of average at everything
Negative Aspects: Forgetful, Kinda dumb, sort of average at everything, not endurant

This good?<3~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:11:15 pm »

I think he wants you to make... you.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:12:55 pm »

In b4 people greatly over rate themselves.

I'll make sure everyone gets an equal amount of pain and suffering.

I am apart of an underwater aristocracy that knew about this beforehand

(Jervous)
PC Name: Julia Derby

Physical Traits: Female, average height, skinny, somewhat athletic build
Mental Traits: Cunning, some survival knowledge

Skills: Good at climbing, very quick at sprinting, good at catching things, sort of average at everything
Negative Aspects: Forgetful, Kinda dumb, sort of average at everything, not endurant

This good?<3~

Huh? You sure you want to be a chick? I also guess that's good enough, but in all honesty, I expected to get something on the more... well personal side. Either way, I'll accept it.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:16:11 pm »

Just for the record, I'm not here out of gratitude. I'm here because a) I want to get involved in some forum games, b) I would've begged someone to make the game anyway, and c) this is going to be awesome.

(MaximumZero)
PC Name: MaximumZero, aka Maximum, aka Max, aka MZ

HP: OOOOO
TH: OOOOO
HU: OOOOO
ST: OOOOO
CN: OOOOO

Conditions:
Attributes: Male, 5'1", 200lbs,

Pros: Very physically tough and extremely good at ignoring pain, very quick reflexes, fairly quick (40yd Dash: 5.23 sec), slightly above average strength (can comfortably lift a 220lb person, or ~125lbs of dead weight), very charismatic, very good balance, extremely rarely sunburns due to Cherokee lineage, badass tattoo, lucid dreamer.

Cons:  Very easily distracted, next to no stamina, somewhat round in the midsection, cannot swim, crippling perfectionism, myopic, dependent on antidepressants, painkillers or alcohol (or faces severe mood swings), prone to reclusion and procrastination, does not like conflict, genetic defect causing severe pain in lower back constantly.

Skills:

Inventory:Glasses, at least one pocket knife, sturdy tennis shoes or hiking boots, wedding band, clothes (including belt), small first aid kit (roughly 20 bandaids, a couple squares of gauze, matches, super glue, ace bandage and a couple wash cloths.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:13:47 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 11:46:46 pm »

Quote from: Statblock
(Barbarossa TSG)
PC Name: Barbarossa

Conditions:

Attributes: Male, 5'7", 115lbs, 1% body fat (seriously.), low upper body strength.

Pros: Extremely high stamina, runs faster than some bears, good balance, smart, high pain tolerance, very good hearing, excellent eyesight, very flexible*

Cons:  Can't swim, Poor strength (I can bench ~80 pounds?), procrastinates often, is a bit shy around unknown people.

Skills: Distance Running (4/5), Speed Reading (4/5), Move Silently (3/5), Speak Japanese (1/5), Electronics Knowledge (3/5), Has memorized the world [except Africa] (4/5), Survival Knowledge (2/5), Pottery (2/5)

Inventory: Running shoes, clothes, wristwatch.

*I can stick both my legs behind my neck, and I can also do a roundhouse kick at head level, though not fast enough as to give no warning. Working on that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:39:08 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 01:39:55 am »

Sure, why not.

PC Name: L/El or Vector.  Up to you.

Conditions:

Attributes: Female, 5'3", 110-115 lbs.  Muscle-to-fat ratio about what you'd expect for a woman.  Vegetarian, though I could be convinced to get over that for survival's sake.

Pros: High willpower, brilliant problem-solving, superior observational skills.  Excellent memory for detail, high curiosity and adaptability, can easily survive without shoes.  Skilled at determining what people want before they know they want it, and sensing others' subtle mood shifts.  Charismatic when I feel like it and fairly good at resolving conflicts (though oftentimes I will have also initiated the conflict).

Cons:  Afraid of water (but can swim!), am moody and bad-tempered (argue on reflex), tend to shoulder emotional/physical burdens until I crack and hurt myself.  Can struggle with sensory overload that comes with booting up problem-solving engine, and occasionally lose ability to speak.  Physically weak and cannot run very far or fast.  Poor reflexes.  Require strong prescription lenses (myopia).  Often have difficulty prioritizing.

Take setbacks or failures as assault against personal self-worth.  Will obsessively work to solve the perceived "problem," even when another course of action might be more effective.

Skills: Speak Japanese 2/5, Speak French 4/5, Mathematical proofs 1/5 (compared to mathematicians), Speak Arabic 1/5, Speak sparse smatterings of other foreign languages 2/5, Learn language 4/5.  Story-telling 3/5, medicine 2/5, wilderness survival 2/5, hitting things with sticks 1/5, teaching 3/5.  Cooking/sewing 0/5 (serviceable but not pretty).

Inventory:
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 02:49:08 am »

15 people sounds like a lot at the rate people are joining, as well as the seeming complexity of the game.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 03:05:36 am »

Dude, this sounds way cool. I'm in.

(Renault)
PC Name: Renault is fine.

Conditions:

Attributes: Female, 5'4'', 95 pounds.  Pretty lean, by which I mean scrawny.

Pros: Well-organized and level-headed, not prone to rash decisions or crushing indecisiveness. Typically highly resilient to stress or anxiety despite circumstances. Tries to be polite and well-mannered regardless of treatment by others. Most talented in tasks requiring prolonged and concentrated effort--focus is a major strength. Usually cheerful and upbeat.

Cons: Physically, far from potent. Typically unwilling to show a great deal of backbone in interpersonal affairs. Lack of even basic survival knowledge. Can't easily survive without shoes. Sometimes on the vain side. So lacking in leadership ability as to be comical; is slightly paranoid. Secretly a pessimist, grimly imagining all the things that could go wrong and how likely they will.

Skills: Wasn't sure if we were supposed to assign these yet, but since everyone else is doing it...
Competent swimmer, skilled at knots and general ropework, mediocre French, pretty good at climbing things. Incredibly flexible--took gymnastics for 7 years. Fast reader and typically fast learner. Rudimentary knowledge of basic mechanics. Rushed High school, thus probably subpar social ability but better focus.

Inventory:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:12:34 am by Renault »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 03:17:28 am »

(Mindmaker)
PC Name: Mindmaker

Conditions:

Attributes: Male, 5'7", 176lbs, kinda chubby, low upper body strength.

Pros: Exceptional hearing, high empathy, excelent eyesight, friendly (unlikely to spark a conflict), can get quite enthusiastic, good subordinate (high bonus from leadership), thoughtful, will eat anything without complaining, can identify edible mushrooms.

Cons:  Uneasy around strangers, snoring when feeling uncomfortable, unusual sense of humor (does annoy some people), susceptible to stress.

Skills: Swimming (3/5), German (5/5), Polish (4/5), Zombie Survival (3/5), Cooking (1/5), Reading (4/5),  Quick Reference(3/5) (allows to find me a page/paragraph/line from a book fast), Programming(1/5), Computer Knowledge(2/5), Fishing (3/5).

Inventory:
Pendant, unlikely to have lost it during the plane crash or however I got here, as I can't take it of without opening its mechanism
Book (probably nothing that would make surviving easier)

1st Edit: Working on it. Just want to reserve a slot.
2nd Edit: Uhm, could anyone tell me how the skill numbers are weighted (or their meaning like 1 = dabbling)? Have a hard time assigning them and probably need to rebalance them.

3rd Edit:
Ok now the skills from you skillset.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:45:47 pm by Mindmaker »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 03:23:30 am »

Does anyone know how to make a fire? I've never had the knack for it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 06:32:45 am »

I do. I've had plenty of experience.

Also, Vector's Mathematics skill should probably be 6/5. She's totally going to beat me for writing an improper fraction, though.

Edit: Uhm, could anyone tell me how the skill numbers are weighted (or their meaning like 1 = dabbling)? Have a hard time assigning them and probably need to rebalance them.

Skills KASK
   How good you are at something. I'll be keeping skills to a mostly short list and track them by simple levels. 0= Unskilled, 1= Dabbling, 2= Competent, 3= Proficient, 4=Skilled and 5= Professional, anything after simply adds bonuses to when you apply the skill, if you survive that long. And no, I will now show you a skill list, only after everyone signs up.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:10:26 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 09:34:25 am »

15 people sounds like a lot at the rate people are joining, as well as the seeming complexity of the game.

I've been keeping complexity down to a very well deeply simple limited and hopefully easy to manage minimum. I've been thinking about the rules consistently in my day since the "stranded on an island" topic started. The only way anything could make this topic stupidly complex would be if player purposely made their actions complex for no reason what so ever.

Anyway, while I deeply appreciate everyone's enthusiasm with setting up their skills, those you listed won't exactly be in the game. I'll count them towards the real skills don't worry; so keep setting them up like that if it's more easier for you. Just remember, that those won't exactly be in the game.

If you're bummed out about this stuff, than I don't mind showing the skills list earlier than I thought. This was as simple as I could get them. If you think we need to add something, than I don't mind, just make sure it would make sense or I won't take it seriously. Also, fibrous usage was the best umbrella term I could come up with things related to cloth usage.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 09:48:13 am »

As for more skills, there are a few I'd like to see.

*Fishing would be important for food-getting.

*Martial Arts would be good for fighting without a weapon, though this may be covered in part by Grappling.

*Running is definitely a survival skill. Especially if there are snakes on this place.

Should I update my statblock with actual skills, or let you do that? Also, I'm editing it, because I remembered some other stuff I'm good at that may help.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28