Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: Isle Forum Game: Getting the bunch back together!  (Read 24937 times)

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Isle Forum Game: Update... probably in the next two-four days
« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2010, 11:39:39 pm »

That's the problem my IRC gaming group/community has. Everyone wants to play, noone wants to GM.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 25, 2010, 12:09:10 am »

Meh, my main problem is that I don't like to GM more than one thing at a time, and I've already got an IRL D&D group running.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2010, 05:38:58 pm »

Okay, I have had a nasty run in with Inspiration in the dark alleys of my mind, and it won. I am now indentured to it for one project of its choosing... so I guess I'm driving this crazy train.

*Kicks Creamcorn's catatonic avatar out of the drivers seat*

Got to do some research, get my notes in order, and write up revised character guidelines. There'll be a second character application cycle, since it's been a while since people opted In. Expect some crap later tonight.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2010, 10:26:33 pm »

Are you going to make a new thread for it or use this one?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2010, 12:06:40 am »

There'll definitely be a new thread for the game, and probably for Re-Sign-Ups. My research is mostly done, and I have so many cool ideas for this. There are a lot of really neat uninhabited islands out there.

I'm still hashing out the rules you guys will need to know for Character Building, though. I'm going to stick with the characters acting as an avatar of you, though there will still be gaming abstractions. I'm just trying to work out Hunger/Wound tracking adequately, and in a way that keeps it challenging, but lets people still have fun exploring and all that. Give me an hour or so.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 29, 2010, 12:07:50 am »

:D

Looking forward to this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 29, 2010, 11:48:49 am »

I'll keep an eye out for the new thread. This was a cool concept and I'd hate to see it die like this.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 29, 2010, 05:38:19 pm »

I am so excited that I'm on fire.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 29, 2010, 06:44:15 pm »

Okay, so an hour of work ballooned into completely gutting and retrofitting the FATE system, with some elements of Burning Wheel. Now I'm pruning the rules and streamlining things. As a teaser, here's the rules for Survival and Damage tracking, as well as a description of "Stunts". You guys should start thinking about which ones you might like your character to have (keep in mind that you're basing your character on yourself and your abilities)

Survival and Damage:
You need to eat, drink fresh water, rest, and avoid injury in order to survive. When you fail to do any of these, you gain points of Starvation, Exhaustion, or Wounds as appropriate. As you gain points of damage, you suffer from penalties, ranging from temporary weakness to complete incapacitation. The penalties are realistic, and severe... dehydration can lead to hallucinations, and a serious injury may take weeks to heal properly.

Stunts:
Stunts are different than Skills in that they allow your character to temporarily work outside the normal rules, and do something exceptional. It's one of the most dramatic ways in which your character is unique, and is something they may be known well for. Every character starts with one Stunt: pick an extraordinary skill your character has, or a special knack. To perform a Stunt, you must spend 1 Talent Point from your pool.

Sample Stunts, and their effects (you can propose something not listed, and I'll provide something appropriate):
- Eye for Detail (You can mentally "revisit" a place you've studied before, and may notice details you consciously missed. You can make Perception checks as if you were still at a location)
- Photographic Recall (In an instant of study, you can commit a subject to memory, and recall it precisely as it was seen).
- Trivial Knowledge (Can recall obscure information. Use Memory in place of another primarily mental skill)
- Alertness (Can automatically act or react first, in a time-intensive exchange)
- Diehard (When Wounds would render you unable to act, you may continue to act normally for one phase).
- Tireless (When Exhaustion would render you unable to act, you may continue to act normally for one phase).
- Quick Healing (You heal more quickly. Reduce the recovery time for your Wounds by 1 category)
- Developed Immunity (You can resist the effects of poison or illness.)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 29, 2010, 08:33:55 pm »

Um... Those stunts are actually all me...

Well maybe a half strong eye for Detail and photographic memory. and a 1/3 strength in alertness...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 29, 2010, 08:48:11 pm »

Hmm... I don't know that I have any of those, save perhaps the trivia.  Some sort of focus-oriented talent would probably suit my character better.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 29, 2010, 09:44:10 pm »

I'd probably get Trivial Knowledge or Tireless, but in the case of Tireless I'd propose one that, say, allowed accelerated recovery from less extreme forms of Fatigue instead of acting while extremely fatigued.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 29, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »

Oh, I am so in. Can I get a stunt called "Flaming Shark Punch of Doom"? No? Ah, well, I'll take Diehard. (Unless you have a bigger list.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2010, 01:56:46 am »

Think he expects you to come up with one and what it does.

Also, shouldn't the part about eating only a food ration or drinking only a water ration be reversed? You can survive like 3 weeks if you have water and not food, but only 3 days without water. (not all food has water in it)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 30, 2010, 02:02:05 am »

You need 2 rations of Food and Water per day, and if you do the math, you die of dehydration in 3 days, and of starvation in about 2 weeks. Malnutrition, and insufficient hydration creeps up on you though, especially if you overexert yourself.

Spent a lot of time balancing survival. It'll make more sense when I get to how Turns work.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28