Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird volcano embark (spoilers?)  (Read 891 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird volcano embark (spoilers?)
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:25:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Two almost symmetrical cones, and a magma lake surrounded by flatness 0_o. And the dwarves have spawned on the extremely steep mountainside. And there were three muddy pools adjacent to the magma, which immediately formed obsidian and showed me the magma sea and obsidian.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:28:03 am by EddyP »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird volcano embark (spoilers?)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:33:01 am »

I've gotten something kind of like that before, except on a glacier:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63643.msg1475897#msg1475897

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:38:54 am »

This is incredibly awesome.

save/seed?
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:40:41 am »

This is incredibly awesome.

save/seed?

I'll give you the seed if you tell me how. I'll not give you the save, as I'm currently working on caving in those two spires. Why? Because I can!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:42:01 am »

That would be another case of massive relative elevation compared to it's surroundings.

Is it just me, or has that been happening a whole lot lately?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:43:07 am »

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:53:47 am »

Params

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:02:39 am »

This is pretty common, as mentioned by Gearheart. Square-based pyramid mountains a dime a dozen now, particularly around the edge of mountain ranges. Just looking at your parameters, the only things I can see that you might have changed are the number of civs and I think volcano number, neither of which whould affect mountain ranges.

Tip for pyramidal mountain seekers: look near the edges of mountain ranges for trailing lines of opaque triangle peaks. Back when I still looked for volcanoes, I found a line of three peaks with the volcano on the middle one, and centered a 3x3 embark on it. There were three perfectly square based mountains with two-tile wide gaps between them on the 'base level' of the surrounding plains and forests.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 11:06:17 am »

This is pretty common, as mentioned by Gearheart. Square-based pyramid mountains a dime a dozen now, particularly around the edge of mountain ranges. Just looking at your parameters, the only things I can see that you might have changed are the number of civs and I think volcano number, neither of which whould affect mountain ranges.

Tip for pyramidal mountain seekers: look near the edges of mountain ranges for trailing lines of opaque triangle peaks. Back when I still looked for volcanoes, I found a line of three peaks with the volcano on the middle one, and centered a 3x3 embark on it. There were three perfectly square based mountains with two-tile wide gaps between them on the 'base level' of the surrounding plains and forests.

What happens when you collapse one of the pyramids?