Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Disappointingly easy Clowntopia  (Read 2627 times)

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disappointingly easy Clowntopia
« on: September 25, 2010, 05:30:42 am »

As a test, I built a fortress with the intention of taking over clowntopia, and about 16 years into it and halfway through my preparations, I decided to take a little test run with a backup save file.
Well... I breached the and am in the middle of colonizing at this very moment
one thing I have to say is, it was disappointingly easy
4.5 squads of dwarves, (15 hammers, 10 lashers, 20 Axes) managed to wipe out about 3 pages worth of demons, having taken NO casualties, and looking at my hospital, no injuries...
thing is, though, theres another 2-3 pages of demons active all of them chilling in the magma sea, on the same space, and I have nfi how they got there o.O

This fortress was built with the intention of invading clowntopia through good old fashioned hand to hand, and as such, I have a... rather large stockpile of food and drink (8.5k food 11.5k drink), clowntopia subjugated, all of my boyz in masterwork steel armor and masterwork adamantium axes, masterwork silver warhammers, or whips...
I've finished my pyramid, I've gotten walls right up to my edges....

thing is now though... what now?

Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

The Underchef

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointingly easy Clowntopia
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 05:32:58 am »

out about 3 pages worth of demons

...Everyone was lying to me the whole time.

There aren't clowns down there..  :-[

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 05:41:49 am »

out about 3 pages worth of demons

...Everyone was lying to me the whole time.

There aren't clowns down there..  :-[
Some people call clowns demons because they find them so scary. Don't worry, you'll find lots of cotton candy down there.

It seems you had a fairly big and well armed force. I don't really have much experience with this but meh.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 06:06:16 am »

I remember the first time it was done, it took the guy about 150 casualties to take clowntopia....
and underchef, that was an unfortunate Freudian I meant 3 pages worth of CLOWNS =P

I guess danger room really does make everything too easy...
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 06:41:42 am »

Yeah, they're not(actually apparently nothing is) immune to upright spear/spike traps, so you can lay out a hallway of metal ones(any metal is fine since they wear no armor) and link them all to a lever and they'll all get torn apart on them. A few particularly tough stragglers got through when i did it, but they were  dragging along broken limbs and other body parts and were easy kills.

Then i got down in there and the wildlife gave all my dwarves nasty rot or whatever and that was that :/
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 06:44:17 am »

Wasn't there a guy that did it with fortifications and an army of crossbow dwarves? He found that once you took out the first wave the waves got pretty small and easy to manage.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 07:01:31 am »

Yeah, if you design a lot of shooting galleries (Long hallways filled with doors and supports which don't support anything, and are surrounded by fortifications) and fill them with crossbow using dwarves, it's fairly easy to do.

Although I don't like that method, really. I much prefer sending in several dozen axe lords instead.

I think it's sort of random. Sometimes you get really strong demons, other times they're too weak to get past your first squad.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 08:04:52 am »

I believe it's time Toady re-added the ringmasters to the Clownworld. Make them big and sturdy, muscular types, maybe made of something sturdy like them Colossi or HBs. The randomness is cool, but not very much so if all the genned types are weaklings.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 09:15:58 am »

Maybe they should make there be occasional DEMON seiges com ing from hell that can only happen once you breach the HFS...
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:17:43 am »

Maybe they should make there be occasional *CLOWN* seiges com ing from hell that can only happen once you breach the HFS...

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 09:37:59 am »

It does depend on your clown mix.  I've taken out the HFS with 12 blue-clad dwarves...and had it utterly annihilate a 20-blue-clad-legendary set of squads.   Some are more dangerous than others.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 11:28:36 am »

My last fort Flatworm Devils produced huge billowing clowds of paralysis gas. Let me tell you, I don't think that hell would have been beatable, as the two who snuck in to my fort killed all ten dwarves that attack them, AFTER they were killed.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:41 am »

A mod could add add non-random demons to ensure Fun.  I've done it before... I believe the combination that finally worked was [DEMON], [EVIL], [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] and [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5].
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 11:54:55 am »

wouldn't those guys hurt themselves? or is it another gas/clown I'm thinking of...
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 12:14:24 pm »

I think demons are immune to paralysis.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!
Pages: [1] 2 3