Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The game runs slow when on a map bigger than the default  (Read 1120 times)

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The game runs slow when on a map bigger than the default
« on: December 06, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

Hi,

Evrything is in the title... when I play on a map bigger than the default size (and not much bigger, 3/4 lines OR columns more), the game runs really slow, a regulary lag of 1/4-1/5sec every seconds. The FPS is 100 when paused, and around 50 when run so, that is apparently not it the problem. So I checked the CPU and Ram usage... and I saw the CPU is almost not used (2-4%), and only around 200Mb of ram are consumed by game. So my question is : Is there is an a solution to "unlock" the (apparently) memory usage limit, or anything else which could make the game runs at a normal speed ? If not, I'll try to désactivate the weather, but i'm not committed it will really fix my issue when i saw the game run perfectly on a default size map...

PS : Sorry for my bad english but I'm french, so i do what i can...  :p

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The game runs slow when on a map bigger than the default
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

The bigger the area, the slower it goes. You can enable the FPS display in the init. I personally suggest 4x4 for the optimal balance of size and speed, but that's just me. 3x3 should be sufficient for most players, actually. I just like having a lot of trees.

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

hmmm, i noted that bigger is the map, slower is the game, i just wanted to know if there was something to do (not in-game) to make the game fully exploit the ram, to correct it. But with your answer, i suppose only the author can... but thanks man

quote:
I just love have a lot of trees

I understand, for my part, it's just because I got a magma source to the edge of the map (not the map in-game, you see what i mean), and a river almost to the opposite, and i want water   :D

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: N.tox ]

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by N.tox:
<STRONG>hmmm, i noted that bigger is the map, slower is the game, i just wanted to know if there was something to do (not in-game) to make the game fully exploit the ram, to correct it. But with your answer, i suppose only the author can... but thanks man</STRONG>

Well, if you have a dual core system, you can try setting dwarffort.exe to CPU 1 and all other processes to CPU2 in the task manager. I haven't tried it myself but I've heard others say you can get a little improvement out of it.

Then there's always playing with settings in your init file... weather, temp off will boost FPS about 5-10, and then there's killing all other processes.

Oh, and let's not forget setting the priority for dwarffort.exe to high (once again in task manager, also from init file.)

good luck to ya.

Oh. Forgot one point. Apparently dwarf fort actually doesn't require much RAM usage. It's limited mostly by CPU. So to answer your question, "uncapping" the RAM dedicated to dwarffort won't change much.

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: Keizo ]

火族

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

Thanks, i've tried it, and it didn't work better, the FPS is not a problem (honestly, 50FPS for a game like this one, is still too much  ;)). What I think is the lag is caused by regular calculations which take a little time due to the size of the map, but I see the CPU is only used at 4% max, I just think "Damn'! The game must limit himself to not use too much the CPU and RAM"... sigh
Now, I just can hope futur versions will include a setup (even a "manual setup" where we set ourself the memorysize and the kind of CPU...)
hmmm, i got an idea ! I'll try a tweak in the regedit, if it works fine, i'll tell you

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Thanks, i've tried it, and it didn't work better, the FPS is not a problem (honestly, 50FPS for a game like this one, is still too much   ;)).</STRONG>

FPS has nothing to do with display rate.  FPS is in fact, how fast the game runs.  100 FPS is twice as fast as 50 FPS.

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 11:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

FPS has nothing to do with display rate.  FPS is in fact, how fast the game runs.  100 FPS is twice as fast as 50 FPS.</STRONG>

Maybe i'm wrong, but for me FPS (Frame per seconds) is intimatly link to the display rate, and more, it is the display rate : I mean, ther is calculations for the graphic elements (i think not very much in this game), and the calculations of all vars and executing code, generally the ones influencing the others, and here, the others influencing the ones. And i think that is on that others calcutions the "problem" is. Cause honnestly, a game which moves objects from tile to tile without any translations, doesn't need a great FPS, and my 50 are enough... ther is an instrction block regulary executed which require more ressources but doesn't really exploit the capacity of CPU or Ram, due to a (intentional ?) limitation, that's like organize a plenty small room and a bigger room with the same content than the small, organize the small will be longer... But like i said, maybe i'm wrong and it's anything else, in this case, please forgive my speach...

PS : if i'm wrong about the FPS and the display rate, can you explain me what is the difference ? 3D videos was my formation, and i ever believe the FPS was the display rate, even if other things infuence it...

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 02:49:00 am »

DF updates logic and graphics asynchronously. The FPS the meter displays is the logic FPS. You can change the graphics FPS cap in the init file separately but you can't see it.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Ratha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »

The game really shouldnt call the logic cycles FPS, its a bit too easy to confuse with frames per second which all modern games talk about as in terms of graphical display.

I usually run larger maps, with a river. Usually there are not a ton of creatures on the maps ive played on, but i get anywhere between 30 and 50 cycles a second according to the game display, but i do notice some weird keypress behavior now and then, where the game goes up or down multiple levels when i press a single <or>

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »

Ok, so if I correctly understood :

_the FPS is the display rate
_the logic cycles are the frequency of executing non-graphical codes (the majority of code in this game  :D)

Am I right ?

and still if I correcly understood, what the game (DF) call the FPS is in fact, the logic cycles, and not FPS... if that's it, I better understand the numbers for "FPS"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Ok, so if I correctly understood :

_the FPS is the display rate
_the logic cycles are the frequency of executing non-graphical codes (the majority of code in this game   :D)

Am I right ?

and still if I correcly understood, what the game (DF) call the FPS is in fact, the logic cycles, and not FPS... if that's it, I better understand the numbers for "FPS"</STRONG>

Correct.  The reason Toady called them "frames" was that the game calculates the logic "each frame" of the game (it takes an average dwarf 10 frames to move one tile).  Admitedly its not a great choice, but it works.

N.tox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

Thanks    :),

know it won't solve the "problem", but I better understand. Finally, I'll do like everybody : choose a smaller map   :( (the tweak i tried just did nothing)

[ December 07, 2007: Message edited by: N.tox ]

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>
100 FPS is twice as fast as 50 FPS.</STRONG>

That's some fine detective work there, Lou.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 01:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by valcon:
<STRONG>

That's some fine detective work there, Lou.</STRONG>

lol  Yay, a Wiggum reference!