Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how do I get rid of fat/tallow?  (Read 903 times)

Maikaregion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how do I get rid of fat/tallow?
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:21:11 pm »

I havent played for about 6 months and went back to it today, started a new fortress and everything is going fine except for that I can't produce any wine because my barrels are all full of fat and tallow. I've tried going inside of each of them and designating fat/tallow as dump but it doesn't work(or at least my dwarves arent taking it to my refuse pile). any help?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do I get rid of fat/tallow?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:22:44 pm »

I believe all fats count as food, so forbid all food except the fat and the dwarves should eat all of it, freeing the barrels.

Maikaregion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:27:39 pm »

what about tallow

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:28:32 pm »

I never made tallow or used it in any way. I'm not sure what it is.

EDIT: Make soap.

Maikaregion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:31:27 pm »

so is it not possible to get the dwarves to throw it away?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 05:33:45 pm »

If pulling the fat/tallow from the barrel didn't work; without destroying the barrel nothing will work.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 05:40:44 pm »

cook the tallow into roasts.

OR

Make separate stockpiles for booze and extracts and non-barrel-requiring foods, disallow barrels on the non-booze stockpile. If you dwarves do not remove the fat from the barrels after reworking the stockpiles, dump and then reclaim the barrels and fat.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 05:41:12 pm »

Create a new food stockpile.  Go into the stockpile options and disable every type of food except for fat and tallow.  Set the maximum number of barrels allowed on that stockpile to zero.

Now go to your existing food stockpiles, edit the stockpile options, and disable fat and tallow.  Your dwarves will eventually move all the fat and tallow to the new stockpile, and won't use any barrels to store them.  Make sure the fat and tallow are not forbidden or designated to be dumped, or the dwarves will not move them.

Once the fat and tallow are out of the barrels and stored in the no-barrel stockpile, you can designate the fat and tallow to be dumped.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 06:57:12 pm »

Just go into Z-Stocks and mark all of the fat and tallow for dumping - your dwarves will take it out of the barrels and throw it in your garbage dump zones.
Also, make sure all of the stockpiles are indoors, or enable collection of outdoor refuse.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:32:39 pm »

It doesn't have to be roasts, if you happen to have a ton of tallow - I've seen lavish meals that are tallow/tallow/tallow/tallow.  I call it the BIG KAHUNA LARDBURGER.

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 08:05:23 pm »

Disallow anything but tallow to be used in the z-kitchen menu, then make lavish meals on repeat. You get rid of the tallow and get happy dorfs.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Maikaregion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 08:43:20 pm »

so how do i get the dwarves to reach into the barrels and take out the fat/tallow?

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 08:45:37 pm »

It doesn't have to be roasts, if you happen to have a ton of tallow - I've seen lavish meals that are tallow/tallow/tallow/tallow.  I call it the BIG KAHUNA LARDBURGER.

... Lavish meals ARE roasts by definition, aren't they?
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 08:52:56 pm »

Nope, lavish meals are meals that take four ingredients.

so how do i get the dwarves to reach into the barrels and take out the fat/tallow?

Just have the kitchen(s) prepare meals of some type and the cook(s) will pick random ingredients.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 09:00:14 pm »

... Lavish meals ARE roasts by definition, aren't they?
This definition can be changed. I have mine to give me sushi or cake too when I make lavish meals. They still take 4 ingredients.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2